Bald and Bankrupt -the best travel vlogger on youtube? I say yes!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
last count there were ate least 30 24/7 live streaming bird/wildlife sites. from all around the world

one of the slower sites gets about $600/month

but this is more of this new you carrying over; if we don't do things your way then it just isn't worth it or its dumb or pointless

@Lord Ba'al

All I am giving you is my opinions. That is all anyone can give. You asked questions, and you are getting answers. I am not trying to tell you how to do you, you can do whatever you want.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
a friend recommended this series as an example of a successful youtube channel

YES!!! It is... he has slowed a bit because of pandemic issues and HE HAD covid in the summer.. but he has done a few videos since. with a series along with his YT mentor and friend "harald baldr" --who also has excellent vids though balds' are much better-- they did together in mexico

harald baldr had a great series from last spring when he got stuck in sri lanka during covid as well

Bald speaks russian so that means he understands and communicate with a great deal of europe- ukraine ,czech republic, serbia,,, slavic speakers have a good rate of inter-intelligibility

he also speaks and reads Hindi--which of course gets him most dialects of india and even a bit of urdu and pashto as well

he is also pretty good with spanish as well

i mention this because between where he goes to make videos and his style matched with language ability really makes for some great videos

you could spend an easy 3-4 days bingeing his videos,, better then a lot of stuff on TV imo

ENJOY @DrWho42 !!! let me know what you thought

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Fish Center?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
one of the more interesting "storylines" with bald and bankrupt.. so much so, it has even inspired the creation of other YT CHANNELS made specifically for and about Kolya and other elderly Byelorussians living in poverty

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I like his channel although I think he has a weirdly romantic mental image of the Soviet Union - something tens of millions of victims of the Communists would not share (members of my family among them).

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I like his channel although I think he has a weirdly romantic mental image of the Soviet Union - something tens of millions of victims of the Communists would not share (members of my family among them).
then i am sorry, but you totally are missing his sarcasm! :)

it is for very similar reasons that he does these travels and videos.. to gain understanding of the situation that he witnessed playing out on tv when he was a child.. to see if- on a PEOPLE level- what exactly it was all about

his sarcasm continues to destroy the Soviet ideology over and over again as he shows stories about real ppl and asks them about their lives then and now

its also why he goes to small cities and villages and avoids tourist areas

his videos with Kolya and other poor villagers in the Chernobyl exclusion zone are a prime example of all of this

one cannot openly criticize a nation like Belarus or even the former Soviet state and still be able to do what he does-- he is actually temporarily banned from Belarus due to a video he made passively criticizing the govt at a military parade

this concept of 'people first' he has is also evident in his vids from India, Cuba, ukraine, mexico, peru, etc

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Here in this vid is a good example of his running sarcasm on 'soviet-this and that'. i n this case, a soviet era bus station and how he cracks on the seats

he does this with 'soviet' sinks and hotels..... its not reverence its documenting for us, the starkness of the soviet existence and how, surprisingly, so much of soviet era things are still used today as people utility in them and no need to replace.. even in ukraine which basically purged everything soviet long ago

the only think you will find bald actually admiring is the art and force of effort that went into things like mosaics made to praise the local area and peoples- soviet flattery to get ppl to work more

and the fact that there are so many ww2 memorials even in the smallest of villages, that are still kept up by the locals today

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Fair enough. Note I still watch him regardless as it is nice to see these places visited.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Bald and Baldr in Ethiopia.. with Simon the Cymro

their last trip together was in Mexico--a roadtrip cross country from mexico city to sinoloa... lets see where this trip takes them

great line in this one-- "hey lets ask this guy up ahead for directions ..he's the whitest ethiopian i've seen" = harald in Massai clothing

of course, its set up, but of course, its still funny

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDJhfGENviM

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I watched it and it was okay. He was better than some of the people he talked to on the train though.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
next ep he went to the only "gulag system" camp museum in Russia near Perm

i like how he never takes any official guided tours like so many other 'vloggers'. like those ppl who schill for pakistan and israel... like Eva Zu Beck.. so fake. Ben only ever deals with whoever shows up in front of him

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Found out in a recent video from Lithuania that he could not complete his train trip to the Pacific. Once Russia went into covid lockdown this month, he found out that he British vaxxes--same as our vaxxes, were no longer acceptable.

they were good enough for him to enter the country, but to remain in the lockdown, he had to get the Sputnik ones! :)

those are like one step from the worst rated ones in the World- the ones from China

says when lockdown is lifted, he will fly back to his last location and then complete his journey. He had just finished rounding the northern end of Lake Baikal--so close!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
What happens when you are quite possibly one of the top 10 or so YT travel vloggers and you go to one of Europe's smallest nations- Lithuania

Everyone of a certain age knows who he is! once he posted one location on Instagram, everyone knew where to find him- it was like they were hunting Pokemon

Kids even left College class to find him

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9qPCtzMtkM