Apple's disappointing introduction of the iPhone 4S.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It also works fine in HTC Android phones using the stock browser - probably because HTC modded the stock browser (it is a lot smoother and feature complete in HTC phones).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
As much as I dislike iPhone, they address problems much more quickly than Google does with Android. Here's a bug that's been sitting there and completely ignored since 2009:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2118

It has to do with something called "content scrolling", normally referring to a box (or boxes) on a webpage with scrollable web content (not an edit box). iOS has handled this nicely. One finger moves the entire page and two fingers moves the content in a scroll box.

To give you an idea, the page below has some web content at the top which is larger than what's displayed and can be scrolled using the bar on the right:

http://connorhd.uwcs.co.uk/android.htm

The nice thing about Android, though, is that a user can opt to download an entirely different browser that does handle the standards better. It was tested using Firefox for Android and content scrolling works.

The Dolphin browser handles it nicely. But on my Samsung Epic4G, my finger does all of the scrolling. Its really not an issue. On the iPhone, you can have the fancy two finger thingy, but still no matter how the browser works on it, you still cant see Flash. This website appears with NO header animations. You cant go to a good percentage of the internet without Flash....it's a dealbreaker for me. No multitasking? LOL!

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
[snip] ...or perhaps a Blackberry which is highly functional but has little "cool factor".[snip]

Pfft. Who cares about the "cool factor"? I've got a Blackberry and it works GREAT, not a single issue (got it real cheap too while I was over in the states). The only minor problem is that you're required to sign up for the Blackberry Internet Service with a provider, and the only provider who offers BIS in Sweden only gives it to corporate clients and they have shitty reception. But that doesn't matter anyone, 'cause that's easily bypassed. Though you still can't use the original browser without BIS, but I've got Opera Mini anyway so it's a non-issue for me.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Both the ability to use Dolphin (which is really cool on a Tablet) or other alternate browsers plus the ability of the OEMs to mod the OS are Android strengths. For example, HTC modded the stock browser specifically to make it smooth in operation and to add in gestures not part of the standard browser. They also added a lot of intelligent auto-prediction to the keyboard (Android keyboards blow the iOS ones away). A truly powerful keyboard is SwiftKey, which predicts not only the word you are typing but, based on your past typing patterns, predicts the next couple of words you will type. It can enable you to type stuff out REALLY fast.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Pfft. Who cares about the "cool factor"? I've got a Blackberry and it works GREAT, not a single issue (got it real cheap too while I was over in the states). The only minor problem is that you're required to sign up for the Blackberry Internet Service with a provider, and the only provider who offers BIS in Sweden only gives it to corporate clients and they have shitty reception. But that doesn't matter anyone, 'cause that's easily bypassed. Though you still can't use the original browser without BIS, but I've got Opera Mini anyway so it's a non-issue for me.

Blackberry is a highly functional device, but it is just not on the level of iPhone, Android or Windows Phone which is reflected in the market share of RIM Blackberry. Its a different type of phone. But for functionality, all the boxes are checked and the performance is good.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
The Dolphin browser handles it nicely. But on my Samsung Epic4G, my finger does all of the scrolling. Its really not an issue. On the iPhone, you can have the fancy two finger thingy, but still no matter how the browser works on it, you still cant see Flash. This website appears with NO header animations. You cant go to a good percentage of the internet without Flash....it's a dealbreaker for me. No multitasking? LOL!

I'll give the Dolphin browser a try. The default one was a huge let down when I found out my users couldn't navigate most of our management interface.

Bluce Ree

The default browser works fine without BIS. What you're missing is a service book to activate it. However, BBM and push mail won't be available without BIS.

Bluce Ree

Blackberry is a highly functional device, but it is just not on the level of iPhone, Android or Windows Phone which is reflected in the market share of RIM Blackberry. Its a different type of phone. But for functionality, all the boxes are checked and the performance is good.

I'm attached to my Blackberry but I'm totally mesmerized by my dad's Samsung Galaxy S. I'm looking at some docs to write a small Android app to test out its API and figure out how much work it would be for us to integrate our stuff with Android.

Bluce Ree

I'll give the Dolphin browser a try. The default one was a huge let down when I found out my users couldn't navigate most of our management interface.

Just gave it a try and it failed miserably. No CSS scrolling. :(

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The default browser works fine without BIS. What you're missing is a service book to activate it. However, BBM and push mail won't be available without BIS.

Also, Research in Motion (who makes Blackberries) is in real trouble. The upcoming move to QNX as the OS for their phones and tablets is pretty much their last chance - if it doesn't give them a boost then they have about 3-5 years left to live.

Bluce Ree

Also, Research in Motion (who makes Blackberries) is in real trouble. The upcoming move to QNX as the OS for their phones and tablets is pretty much their last chance - if it doesn't give them a boost then they have about 3-5 years left to live.

They won't have a chance if they keep recycling old phones (i.e. 9900 = 9000 with touch screen and pad). What RIM needs is new blood at the top. Balsillie and Lazardiris need to go otherwise no OS will save that company.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They won't have a chance if they keep recycling old phones (i.e. 9900 = 9000 with touch screen and pad). What RIM needs is new blood at the top. Balsillie and Lazardiris need to go otherwise no OS will save that company.

I agree - the other blackberry problem is their new models are just too little of an improvement over the previous ones. Even the new Torch is using older screen technology (no AMOLED or IPS), a first generation Snapdragon CPU and weak camera plus less memory than other phones.

G

Graybrew1

My first smartphone was a Blackberry Storm. My mew one is the Samsung Galaxy S. There is no comparison. The Blackberry was ok for basics, the Droid excels in all.

Bluce Ree

My first smartphone was a Blackberry Storm. My mew one is the Samsung Galaxy S. There is no comparison. The Blackberry was ok for basics, the Droid excels in all.

Yeah, the Storm was not one of their finer moments. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just gave it a try and it failed miserably. No CSS scrolling. :(

It does CSS scrolling in Android. :(. It also takes Swype inputs (configurable). What I dont like about it is that the cool Visual Bookmarks widget only picks up bookmarks from the regular Mobile Chrome browser and not Dolphin. I have both on my phone. Firefox mobile browser SUCKS. Dont bother downloading that!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Yep, and the Samsung Galaxy S is identical to the Epic4G only it has a slide out keyboard. :) Even the boot screen says Galaxy S

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Agreed. They are still in the glow of past glory as being the most used business smartphone. But iPhone knocked them off that pedestal about two years ago, then Android did the same to Apple in less than two years after introduction.

Bluce Ree

It does CSS scrolling in Android. :(. It also takes Swype inputs (configurable). What I dont like about it is that the cool Visual Bookmarks widget only picks up bookmarks from the regular Mobile Chrome browser and not Dolphin. I have both on my phone. Firefox mobile browser SUCKS. Dont bother downloading that!

Yeah, I'm starting to dislike Firefox but, on Android, it seems to be the only one that supports CSS content scrolling. Most of my customers have been using iPads to manage their partitions when they're mobile so it hasn't been much of a headache thus far.