Apple's disappointing introduction of the iPhone 4S.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just read this at places around the web. This one came from Yahoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/apples-disappointing-iphone-4s-announcement-173500473.html

Excerpt:

After many rumor-packed months of feverish anticipation, Apple fans were at last greeted Tuesday by the unveiling of the latest iPhone. In the end, Apple didn't announce an iPhone 5 with a drastic new look, but rather a mere iPhone 4S with the same exterior and a souped-up interior, as well as a price reduction for older iPhone models. The old iPhone 3GS will now be free — when customers sign a two-year contract. (The new iPhone 4S will retail for $199 to $399, and goes on sale Oct. 14.) Many have dubbed Apple's announcement "disappointing." Is it?

Don't judge a smartphone by its cover: Sure, "if you were hoping for a brand new iPhone 5 today, you might be a little disappointed," says Erick Schonfeld at TechCrunch. But if you get past the fact that the iPhone 4S looks just like the iPhone 4, you'll actually find some big changes. There's a faster processor, a dual CDMA/GSM chip so it can run on cell networks around the world, and a vastly improved camera. Then there's the new software: iOS 5, apps that work with the iCloud, and, most importantly, the Siri Assistant, a voice-controlled virtual assistant that can answer questions and respond to commands in natural language.
"The iPhone 4S — It's what's on the inside that counts"

It's easy to see why Apple customers are bummed: It's been 15 months since the iPhone 4 was released, and all we get is an iPhone 4s? says Dan Lyons at The Daily Beast. That's quite "a disappointment to hardcore Apple fans." Sure, Siri is "pretty amazing," but for the most part it seems that "Apple is content to keep selling what it has." For years, Apple has been a market innovator, but now there are fears that it's grown complacent. "Whether that's really the case remains to be seen."
"Apple's iPhone letdown"

LMAO...really? " $199 to $399? Anyone who has a high end Android phone can SHOW you just how much faster they can be than any iPhone, and that they can do more. Im not understanding the allure of Apple's iPhone except as herding behavior. And now the hubbub about the MacBook Air...its a freakin NETBOOK, mkay? I took a client to Fry's to get her a new Mac (which she wanted, because I would never recommend a Mac). She specifically said she wanted the MacBook Air and what ensued was a live comedy. She immediately exclaimed that it was "so thin". How cool! But wait, its so cool that they found a way to make it look like it had no CD/DVD player? Cool! Wait...it DOESNT have a built in CD/DVD player. :(. But at least you can plug an external one in there, right? Sure...just use the SINGLE USB port provided. There is only one. Well, the sales guy was going on about how it has that fancy new SSD (solid state hard drive). But wait, it's only 250GB when the average Windows 7 laptop comes with 300-500GB, some with a full TB on a standard mini drive. Needless to say, a Mac Powerbook made more sense and that is what she bought. Still about $1600.00

What type of person would buy this Macbook Air thing? Ready for the price? $1750.00 (+/- $100) :rotflmao::laughing::rotflmao::laughing::rotflmao::laughing:

Back to the iPhone. I have a now established high end Droid phone (Samsung Epic4G). I am ready for the HTC EVO already, but I am in love with my Epic 4G's slide out keyboard. :). Even a mid-range Droid can outdo any iPhone in terms of functionality. As far as thinness, style and such, Apple has its look. But is it worth double the price of the clearly superior Android phones? Definitely not. Even the hardware itself is inferior. With the passing of Steve Jobs, Apple will be hard pressed to keep the gate in it's walled garden locked. The iPhone 4S comes with dual CDMA/GSM so it can be used on other networks other than AT&T. But I think it's too late. How long before people start seeing that it makes no sense to purchase iPhones? I can see a MacBook or even an iPad or iPod, but an iPhone? Nope. In order for an iPhone to seem cool, it has to be brandished around people still using flip phones based on Nokia software, or perhaps a Blackberry which is highly functional but has little "cool factor".

Droids rule. :) They rule in cool factor AND functionality AND hardware as compared to Apple. Some of the new Motorola droid phones coming out are downright futuristic. That is very hard to accomplish when we are in the 21st Century. Having ranted about that, the iPhone and droid phones kick the Windows Phone 7 phones to the curb. Its not ready for prime time IMO. I found the Windows Phone 7 OS to be highly boring. There is nothing like the Market or App Store, and it somehow seems less flexible than a droid but more than an iPhone.

Anyways, just my money.twocents.gif

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
My dad has a Samsung Galaxy S and I just love that thing.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Like the old Macintosh SE being described as the Macintosh "Slightly Enhanced", I've heard the iPhone 4S being described as the iPhone 4"Seriously??"

I don't think that's far from the truth.

I hear that Sprint is rolling those things out faster than bootleggers trying to outrun GMen.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My dad has a Samsung Galaxy S and I just love that thing.

The Samsung Nexus S is exactly like my Samsung Epic 4G except with a slide-out keyboard. I love the Galaxy S too, and when put next to an iPhone, it makes the iPhone feel decidedly downmarket:

iphone4-vs-galaxy-s-head.jpg

Granted, Samsung copied the form factor to clearly compete directly with the iPhone, with it's shape and the nifty new home button at the bottom center like an iPhone. But that is where the similarity ends. The Galaxy S is more powerful, with a faster processor, it has a larger brighter screen, and the Android OS with it's notification area (to show your apps running) is at the top like on all Android phones. But with no Flash, no ability to run multiple apps, and AT&T service, having an iPhone which costs $300 compared to a Galaxy S is a downright embarrassment. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Like the old Macintosh SE being described as the Macintosh "Slightly Enhanced", I've heard the iPhone 4S being described as the iPhone 4"Seriously??"

I don't think that's far from the truth.

:rotflmao: Its not! It looks EXACTLY the same and the "S" refers to a new inside story. It has a dual core processor. Big wow...no Flash, still no way to expand memory (the iPhone comes with FIXED memory) and no SDCARD slot. I have a 32gb card in my droid, and I can easily upgrade that by just opening up the phone and putting a 64GB card in it. Apple sells SEPARATE phones with different memory sizes. L---M---A---O!!!!!

I hear that Sprint is rolling those things out faster than bootleggers trying to outrun GMen.

Sprint just got iPhone4S. :roll: "Only" $199-$399 for a freakin iPhone which is like, weak. The Evo and most of the high end Android phones they display in Sprint stores are going to make people laugh at it. Maybe Apple will do like it did in Germany and BAN the Android tablets and phones that compete with it? Thats how you play fair...Just LOL! I love the way that they have splashed that Sprint now has the "awesome" new iPhone4S all over the store windows...LOL!

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
:rotflmao: Its not! It looks EXACTLY the same and the "S" refers to a new inside story. It has a dual core processor. Big wow...no Flash, still no way to expand memory (the iPhone comes with FIXED memory) and no SDCARD slot. I have a 32gb card in my droid, and I can easily upgrade that by just opening up the phone and putting a 64GB card in it. Apple sells SEPARATE phones with different memory sizes. L---M---A---O!!!!!

Sprint just got iPhone4S. :roll: "Only" $199-$399 for a freakin iPhone which is like, weak. The Evo and most of the high end Android phones they display in Sprint stores are going to make people laugh at it. Maybe Apple will do like it did in Germany and BAN the Android tablets and phones that compete with it? Thats how you play fair...Just LOL! I love the way that they have splashed that Sprint now has the "awesome" new iPhone4S all over the store windows...LOL!
And that's one of my biggest gripes with the iPhone (and similar Apple products).

You have to buy an entirely new product if you're simply looking for more storage space, but not necessarily additional features.

I don't know if it's just me, but it seemed as though Jobs was losing it a bit in the couple years before he passed away. I'm curious as to how much of the cancer may have ended up in his brain. There were times when he got downright shrill about things...like Flash on Apple products.

Seriously.

Bluce Ree

And that's one of my biggest gripes with the iPhone (and similar Apple products).

You have to buy an entirely new product if you're simply looking for more storage space, but not necessarily additional features.

I don't know if it's just me, but it seemed as though Jobs was losing it a bit in the couple years before he passed away. I'm curious as to how much of the cancer may have ended up in his brain. There were times when he got downright shrill about things...like Flash on Apple products.

Seriously.

The guy knew exactly what he was doing. Although all that seems stupid to you and me, the numbers speak otherwise. The man was a marketing genius and knew exactly how to herd stupid sheep into big lineups in front of his stores.

Red Mage

Boney
The only Mac product I own is a 4th gen iPod Touch and it's probably the last Mac product I'll ever purchase. Not that I hate it but it certainly wasn't worth the cost. It's too automated. I like having control over my devices. Mac gives the user almost no control of their device. Everything has to go through their software and if that glitches up, it's beyond aggrivating to work through. The battery life is AWFUL. Absolute garbage. I get maybe 2 hours of gaming/movies on the device with wifi turned on and maybe 1 hour more if wifi is off. The truly awful part about the battery situation is that the battery is not removable. Users can't have a spare battery to change out if their battery drains before they have a opportunity to charge it. If the battery dies completely the user has to mail in their device to change the battery.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
only apple device i currently own is i think a 3rd generation ipod as those were the best and not overly techy or sketchy.. i did previously run a macbook tho and used it for years but it was to small and as it was white it had gotten a wee bit dirty over the years so i gave it to my dad who somehow managed to break it in 3 days..

more then likly ill NEVER get back into Apple as it just isnt worth paying 7times more then a PC and all you get is their trademark styling ie the one that gave you the toiletseat laptop and that awful thing they named "imac"...

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
oh i also forgot to add that i LOTHE smartphones and phones like the iphoone so i aint ever getting one of those also FRAK touchscreen i was raised NEVER tou touch my puter screen and im sticking with that! hell to the YEAH!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
oh i also forgot to add that i LOTHE smartphones and phones like the iphoone so i aint ever getting one of those also FRAK touchscreen i was raised NEVER tou touch my puter screen and im sticking with that! hell to the YEAH!

I can understand that. But in my business, being connected and available to respond to emails means BUSINESS! No more calling people back who have "paged" me (remember those?), no more rushing home to check my email (I do it on the fly), no more lost business. In a pinch, I can use my PHONE to remote to a client server, reboot it or troubleshoot a problem with it. I can use it as my auto GPS/Navigation (because my 20 year old Mercedes does not have one built in). I can watch Netflix on it, use the internal memory and player as my auto or home music center...all from this:

sprintepic4g.jpg

For me, it is an indispensable business tool and I cant imagine not having a smartphone. I have had them since the first Handspring Palm Treo came out in 2002. But this new Droid makes that original Treo I had seem positively primitive. I would never have imagined we would have devices like this in my lifetime. You can talk to the thing and it understands you! Open Navigation and say "Navigate to Universal Studios" and it will find the best route, plot your position on a dynamically moving 3D map, then TELL you turn by turn how to get there. All of this, plus you can still take calls (the app will pause), and when the call has finished, the phone will automatically go back to the Navigation app and continue your journey.

G

Graybrew1

I am with you OM1, I can't imagine working without the Smartphone now. I love being able to check on reports on the net and check my email for updates. I am able to stay connected to the office via Skype from anywhere. I can also access GF on it and it looks just like it does here. I love my Smartphone.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I use my smartphone to add to my book with when I'm in a position that I can't pull out either my laptop or my iPad to do it.

I keep things handy by keeping them on Dropbox. I know you don't like the "cloud" at all, OM1, but in this case, it's quite helpful for me.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I use my smartphone to add to my book with when I'm in a position that I can't pull out either my laptop or my iPad to do it.

I keep things handy by keeping them on Dropbox. I know you don't like the "cloud" at all, OM1, but in this case, it's quite helpful for me.

I have backtracked on that now. :) For SOME things, the cloud is great. Like:

1. Google Cloudprint. - With this, you can log into your Google account and add your home printers into the available printers. From your Android or Apple or even Blackberry phone, you can print to your printers. You can also add printers on other networks by just creating a google account name and add the printers to the cloud. Sign into the other account, and your printers show up on your phone or tablet or whatever.
  2. Google Docs - Online storage of your docs so that you can upload things like resumes or digital brochures and have them available to your phone or any other computer anywhere.
  3. Cortado Workspace - Online cloud based storage of data and documents. This can even be matted on your computer as a network drive.
  4. Google Calendar - With Google Apps Sync, this syncs with my phone, and my Outlook 2003 calendar. When Im anywhere there is a computer, I can use the calendar or other documents just by using the browser.
So, I am no longer against the cloud. What I want now is to have my own PRIVATE cloud swarm of apps so I dont have to be plugged into Google.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I use Dropbox to store some of my files. I use Docs To Go (available for most every device) to edit them when I'm not at my desktop or laptop and able to use Word.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That's not a report of them releasing a $203 dollar iPhone - it is saying they think it costs Apple $203 to manufacture the iPhone 4s.

Bluce Ree

As much as I dislike iPhone, they address problems much more quickly than Google does with Android. Here's a bug that's been sitting there and completely ignored since 2009:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2118

It has to do with something called "content scrolling", normally referring to a box (or boxes) on a webpage with scrollable web content (not an edit box). iOS has handled this nicely. One finger moves the entire page and two fingers moves the content in a scroll box.

To give you an idea, the page below has some web content at the top which is larger than what's displayed and can be scrolled using the bar on the right:

http://connorhd.uwcs.co.uk/android.htm

The nice thing about Android, though, is that a user can opt to download an entirely different browser that does handle the standards better. It was tested using Firefox for Android and content scrolling works.