Anybody checked out Syfy's "new forums"?

B

Backstep

Wow that's crazy! :icon_e_surprised:

All I can wonder is why would a mod ever give you a hard time? Of course I believe your story, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around how mentally warped this chick must have been to go after you of all people. After all, you're not a rabble rouser. What did you do to flip her mental illness trigger?

:smiley-money-mouth:

When she first started attaching me I reported it to syfy, that earned her a 7 day suspension. things got darker after that.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
When she first started attaching me I reported it to syfy, that earned her a 7 day suspension. things got darker after that.

Where did she attach you? To the bed with cuffs?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

You have got to give details! :smiley-money-mouth:

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
The reason why forums have been deserted probably because a lot of people are pissed off and most of the discussion (well I should say more like likes or comments like "OMG what an awesome episode or movie that was" ) are being discussed on Facebook or twitter. Any negative comments are either ignored or deleted by the mods on facebook.

I saw one person on the train the other day watching Defiance I felt like telling him that the show is really really bad.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The reason why forums have been deserted probably because a lot of people are pissed off and most of the discussion (well I should say more like likes or comments like "OMG what an awesome episode or movie that was" ) are being discussed on Facebook or twitter. Any negative comments are either ignored or deleted by the mods on facebook.

I saw one person on the train the other day watching Defiance I felt like telling him that the show is really really bad.

Well, if he was watching it then he will find that out on his own! I tried, really tried to "get" what the show is about but just no.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
It didn't look like it, it looked like it was the most recent episode as well.

Well, if he was watching it then he will find that out on his own! I tried, really tried to "get" what the show is about but just no.
The fact that more people watch stuff like defiance/dominion/teen mom/teen wolf compared to mythbusters, shows how dumb the general audience is.
People still think syfy will pick it up for a 3rd season. Apparently a .5 core demographic is enough to have it greenlit

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It didn't look like it, it looked like it was the most recent episode as well.

We know at least a million plus people like it. :) Just cause I dont like it does not mean that others dont. I get that. There are still people trying to get SGU back. :anim_59:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I agree in that I don't doubt for one minute that many, many people have given up on forums due to the heavy moderation that goes on with most of them. I, for one, have no desire to join any corporate echo chamber just to be a cheerleader. That's an exercise in futility and quite frankly I don't know how sites like GateWorld can possibly think that it's helpful to growing their membership rolls.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree in that I don't doubt for one minute that many, many people have given up on forums due to the heavy moderation that goes on with most of them. I, for one, have no desire to join any corporate echo chamber just to be a cheerleader. That's an exercise in futility and quite frankly I don't know how sites like GateWorld can possibly think that it's helpful to growing their membership rolls.

THAT is why I would really like to get the work for this site out. I think we cant possibly do it without a Facebook or Twitter presence. :(

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
THAT is why I would really like to get the work for this site out. I think we cant possibly do it without a Facebook or Twitter presence. :(

I don't know how that works otherwise I'd help to set it up.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I don't know how that works otherwise I'd help to set it up.

I know how Facebook works, but I hate it. We have a Facebook page but I never use it. Same with Twitter. But that is where new blood will come from. Gateworld is not growing, but they have core members who regularly post because they have been doing so for years (like our crew here). The other ways are: EXCLUSIVES (stuff you cant get elsewhere), and VIRAL (something that catches on because of sudden popularity, like SGU Sucks). But unlike SGU Sucks, Gatefans is not going to be a flame corral. If we get new members, they will find out soon enough that we have Flame Hell where we are behind closed doors. They are going to see your bed and those chains on it, and say WTF? :indecisiveness: :P

An exclusive with Roland and Emmerich (or either individual) would do it. Exclusive pictures of sets and/or snippets from actual scripts would do it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Have you checked out Gateworld's forum lately? It does not have anything to do with Stargate anymore.

Really? I haven’t really looked around there lately (like...a year or more?). I am not surprised to hear that, since the core and foundation of their site is based in a Stargate that is officially dead. The Brad Wright version of Stargate has come to an end after a glorious 15 years on TV. I enjoyed it. But the funeral is already over. No way is Emmerich going to use that universe or those characters, except perhaps Jack and Daniel. Anything else is up for grabs. :)

What are they talking about these days? Sort of all over the place like here?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Quite a bit talk about other properties, but a lot of just fangirl (thunk) talk about stuff.
Yeah, probably about 30% thunking/shipping about 35% game type stuff, 25% general chat and the rest on Stargate.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, probably about 30% thunking/shipping about 35% game type stuff, 25% general chat and the rest on Stargate.

I wonder what the demographics are for participating members at Gateworld? From what you describe, it indicates largely female and probably between ages 20-40? Gamers tend to be male...just guessing here. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
GateWorld sucks.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I wonder what the demographics are for participating members at Gateworld? From what you describe, it indicates largely female and probably between ages 20-40? Gamers tend to be male...just guessing here. :)
I would say 30-55 but def slanted female.