American Sniper? HUH? Why is this movie successful????

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes, agreed. My point was that psychopathy doesn't always imply an immediately observable behavioral stereotype nor does it automatically entail significantly observable anti-social behavior. Exhibiting gleeful pride in the number of human kills one has throughout their career makes one a psychopath.

It's definitely a touchy subject, given that our soldiers are executing orders and serving our country and expected to do their best. When you send a sniper on a mission you definitely want the best of the best out there and the number of successful kills is among that criteria.

In the military after any fire mission or close in combat or aerial bombardment, etc a Battle Damage Assessment (BDA) is always made.
I always found it ludicrous when the briefing stated things like "20 tanks were killed, 10 armored vehicles knocked out, 3 troop bunkers destroyed,etc"

Never any direct mention of enemy numbers killed--even in direct combat infantry on infantry. when the enemy is taken out, report formats require that attn is focused on the equipment that the enemy had/was wearing rather then on the amount of enemy dead

point is, at least Kyle and others stated their record as they saw it--dead humans and not "knocked out equipment"

counting a sniper's achievements is always counted in number of kills--doesn't matter if they are military, police or fbi snipers. how else would one count?

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
In the military after any fire mission or close in combat or aerial bombardment, etc a Battle Damage Assessment (BDA) is always made.
I always found it ludicrous when the briefing stated things like "20 tanks were killed, 10 armored vehicles knocked out, 3 troop bunkers destroyed,etc"

Never any direct mention of enemy numbers killed--even in direct combat infantry on infantry. when the enemy is taken out, report formats require that attn is focused on the equipment that the enemy had/was wearing rather then on the amount of enemy dead

point is, at least Kyle and others stated their record as they saw it--dead humans and not "knocked out equipment"

counting a sniper's achievements is always counted in number of kills--doesn't matter if they are military, police or fbi snipers. how else would one count?

A police or FBI sniper and possibly a military sniper would count a situation where the criminal/enemy was prevent from further action a success even when the criminal/enemy was not dead.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
your using "army" and "soldier" in the general sense

I am using it in the specific and official military sense

It is in army command policy

or just look at any army website--they refer to servicemembers as soldiers

really, just stop, you know better! :love_heart:

And you know damned well if you were to go up to a group of marines and try your definitions on them ("hey soldiers. how ya doing?") they would have a very low opinion of you--to say the least

I get what you are saying, but I assure you that "soldier" is far from anything "official" in describing Army personnel. :) Im saying that if any civvie asks a Marine if he knows what "soldier" means, he wont say it means somebody from the Army. If civilian people say "Hey soldier!" when calling a Marine, he will respond. I never once heard any Marine get upset at being called a soldier. Yes we prefer being called Marines, but calling a Marine a soldier is literally correct. The slang terms are different because they are used between military personnel.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
the movie was made by Clint Eastwood

he would turn a big screen adaptation of Sesame Street into a kill fest as well

My point exactly! This movie was full on Tea Party propaganda designed to whip up the far right. It had him killing a kid within the first 10 minutes of starting (the kid was carrying a grenade). I also saw Gran Torino. But Eastwood and his discussion with the empty chair took the cake for me.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

That is the whole reason he clawed and scratched to get in to a situation where he could kill people legally, to be the very best killer he could be. The ultimate game huntin'. Its the reason I was disgusted with this film, and with Chris Kyle.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
That is the whole reason he clawed and scratched to get in to a situation where he could kill people legally, to be the very best killer he could be. The ultimate game huntin'. Its the reason I was disgusted with this film, and with Chris Kyle.

You definitely have to wonder about the mental state of someone who would sign up four times to do that job. I understand the need for qualified marksmen in a combat zone but to get to the number of kills that Kyle achieved you'd have to be doing some serious mental gymnastics and repression.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
My point exactly! This movie was full on Tea Party propaganda designed to whip up the far right. It had him killing a kid within the first 10 minutes of starting (the kid was carrying a grenade). I also saw Gran Torino. But Eastwood and his discussion with the empty chair too the cake for me.

"empty chair therapy" is a method employed by counselors for anxiety, stress and anger issues

really-it is

and I am sure Eastwood was playing on that
--- merged: Mar 19, 2015 4:17 AM ---
A call for more Muzzie pacification

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/21659/

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A call for more Muzzie pacification
MUSLIM STUDENT LEADER PROTESTS CAMPUS SCREENING OF ‘AMERICAN SNIPER’

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/21659/

Well I totally get why Muslims would hate this movie. :) Anybody else besides ecgordon seen this movie? In it's favor is superior acting. The actors were convincing, and the entire movie managed to tug emotions and fire anger as well as compassion. But it was all so wrong. The movie was well-made, but it felt more like trying to admire the craftsmanship of a guillotine.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Like most movies nowadays I'm going to wait until it makes it to cable (most likely on a free promo weekend). I'm essentially done with going to the theater to see a first run movie anymore.

(Thinking back over the last few years cinematic offerings the only one that I would have enjoyed seeing in a theater would have been Guardians of the Galaxy. Everything else -- and I do mean everything -- turned out to be not worth it in my opinion. Much more enjoyable to watch movies in my own home.)