American Sniper? HUH? Why is this movie successful????

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
As I said before I haven't read the book nor have I seen the movie. My comments regarding Chris Kyle and his stupidity are based on the facts presented in the trial of his killer. These facts are a matter of record. The text messages between Kyle and Littlefield where they discuss the obviously dangerous mental state of their killer show these two guys were willfully stupid (and one could argue culpable) in regards to their own deaths.

The guy who killed them was an obvious nutjob, they admitted as much, yet they still put a firearm in his hands. How is this not willful negligence on their part? Especially since they actually had time to observe the irrational behavior of the guy when they picked him up and drove to the shooting range. This wasn't a spur of the moment mistake these guys made. They had time to observe the dangerously unstable mental state of this man and therefore had time to cancel the shooting party.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He started it.

I wonder if he will censor (via transference to Flame Hell) my last comment.

Yes, I moved them to the bait barrel where they belong, because YOU introduced "race" into the thread where it did not belong. The last comment sealed any hope for any other intention you might have claimed. They have been moved. :)

Any time you focus upon "race" as a discussion point, all such comments will be moved. You are the one who introduces it, intentionally or not. Referring to somebody as "the black guy" is not the same as saying "blacks are _______". Poor socialization CAN be remedied by enough love and gentle guidance.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Umm...........
You DID bring up "rednecks" first dude.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here we go again......

Not this time. :) Moved to their proper place in the warmer areas of the site. :encouragement:
--- merged: Feb 12, 2015 at 11:35 PM ---
Umm...........
You DID bring up "rednecks" first dude.

Rednecks do not belong to any particular "race". They are a social role, not an ethnic group. Not even a nice try there, dude.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Overmind One said:
Rednecks do not belong to any particular "race". They are a social role, not an ethnic group. Not even a nice try there, dude.
Given your previous posting history, and how you view "Texan Rednecks", and given your own posts in this thread, don't even bother to try to say you meant anything but dumb white boys with guns.

Dodge fail.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Given your previous posting history, and how you view "Texan Rednecks", and given your own posts in this thread, don't even bother to try to say you meant anything but dumb white boys with guns.

Dodge fail.

Jim's posts were not only focused on blacks, but they were completely unrelated to this topic. His last post was explicitly racist, which clarified the meaning of the previous off-topic posts he made on this thread. That Chris Kyle was born and raised in west Texas by two uneducated parents, one of which was a teacher in Sunday School and who gave him a gun at age 8, YES, they are dumb rednecks (being white has nothing to do with it for me).

How come you keep forgetting that I have a white parent? I am never going to be taking the side of some dumb black racist like Sharpton or anyone of that ilk. I am calling it as everyone sees it, even other white guys. Are you reading any of the reviews for this film? Have you seen it? I have, on both counts. It is the ultimate Tea Party saga.

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Jim's posts were not only focused on blacks, but they were completely unrelated to this topic. His last post was explicitly racist, which clarified the meaning of the previous off-topicposts he made on this thread. That Chris Kyle was born and raised in west Texas by two uneducated parents, one of which was a teacher in Sunday School and who gave him a gun at age 8, YES, they are dumb rednecks (being white has nothing to do with it for me).
Bullshit.
You have NEVER, in almost 7 years even alluded to rednecks being anything but white, dumbass hicks.
Have a GOOD look at what you post dude, and don't get stroppy when someone who gives a shit about you points it out.

How come you keep forgetting that I have a white parent?
I never have, but you personally identify as black, so the white parent bit really does not matter. It's not that I forget, it's that it does not matter.
I am never going to be taking the side of some dumb black racist like Sharpton or anyone of that ilk. I am calling it as everyone sees it, even other white guys.
You won't take the position of anyone you feel is "dumb", no matter what their race.
Are you reading any of the reviews for this film? Have you seen it? I have, on both counts. It is the ultimate Tea Party saga.

As I am not talking about the film, it does not matter.

But, whatever.
I should know better by now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Bullshit.
You have NEVER, in almost 7 years even alluded to rednecks being anything but white, dumbass hicks.
Have a GOOD look at what you post dude, and don't get stroppy when someone who gives a shit about you points it out.

I never have, but you personally identify as black, so the white parent bit really does not matter. It's not that I forget, it's that it does not matter.

You won't take the position of anyone you feel is "dumb", no matter what their race.

As I am not talking about the film, it does not matter.

But, whatever.
I should know better by now.

Bitch please. :) The thread is talking about American Sniper, focusing on the psychopath element of both Kyle and the movie, then others contributed their comments, and I made and continue to make the redneck comment regarding Kyle. Then, Jim reacts to the word "redneck" assuming that it is a code word for "white" and that is where it went off the rails. He came out of nowhere with articles about black command officers, and I ignored it and re-focused the topic. then he came back with something about Republic of the Congo, and I again ignored it (but called him out on it). Finally, he came straight out and started a racist rant about blacks not being as intelligent with regard to something. That is overtly racist. Rednecks are an American thing that does not only apply to white guys, just like "thugs" does not only apply to black guys. Then, you try to play your Mary Contrary game, seeking an opposing viewpoint based in bullshit just to get a thrill. I never once mentioned race or "white guy" in any of those posts. I never referred to Chris as a white guy, only a redneck.

Why is it so hard to stay on topic on this thread? Go see the movie or watch it somehow, then come back to the thread with something RELEVANT to contribute to it, PLEASE. :rolleye0014: If you want to continue Jim's race-based comments, they are in Flame Hell under Jim's Bait Barrel where they belong. Back to the show folks:

The Director of American Sniper in one of his most memorable moments:

download.jpg

The Director with the star of his movie:

sniper_06.jpg

The real life Chris Kyle:

04author_2-articleLarge.jpg

To understand resentment over this movie, one has to see it. It is clearly designed to attract "patriot" types (read: right wing Republican), and it was directed by one of the far right wing heroes of Republicans, Clint Eastwood. It has racist undertones, and the real life Chris Kyle reflects the values and culture of the far right wing types that fester in the Tea Party, and in Sarah Palin's backyard. Seeing this movie elicits a fist pull down response only in those who would also cheer the acquittal of George Zimmerman or rally behind Cliven Bundy of Nevada.

The American Sniper movie is dangerous propaganda.

I would be interested in hearing opposing viewpoints from others who have seen this. Anybody see it and like it? If so, why?

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
As I said before I haven't read the book nor have I seen the movie. My comments regarding Chris Kyle and his stupidity are based on the facts presented in the trial of his killer. These facts are a matter of record. The text messages between Kyle and Littlefield where they discuss the obviously dangerous mental state of their killer show these two guys were willfully stupid (and one could argue culpable) in regards to their own deaths.

The guy who killed them was an obvious nutjob, they admitted as much, yet they still put a firearm in his hands. How is this not willful negligence on their part? Especially since they actually had time to observe the irrational behavior of the guy when they picked him up and drove to the shooting range. This wasn't a spur of the moment mistake these guys made. They had time to observe the dangerously unstable mental state of this man and therefore had time to cancel the shooting party.

Agreed, being a good soldier does not mean that one can handle other soldiers with PSTD symptoms.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He lives in a state of denial.

I do? Since when are all rednecks white dudes, and does redneck describe an entire group of people? Your posts are denigrating an entire group of people WORLDWIDE. The posts have not been deleted, they are in Flame Hell. Stop deluding yourself.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
I do? Since when are all rednecks white dudes, and does redneck describe an entire group of people? Your posts are denigrating an entire group of people WORLDWIDE. The posts have not been deleted, they are in Flame Hell. Stop deluding yourself.

Overmind One: Queen of the Nile

ecgordon

Star's Hero
I won't give you a dissenting opinion on the movie because I was disturbed by it too, but I would like to point out that one does not have to be a "right-wing Republican" to be a patriot. Anyone who has protested our misguided attempts at world-building in Iraq is just as much a patriot as those who would kiss the ground that George W. (or Chris Kyle) walked on.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Evidently, the book takes the benefit of the doubt away. He did enjoy "killing brown people" according to his own autobiography. The dude was a psychopath. He racked up kills far beyond that of others in his unit. Somebody who loves to kill, enemy or not, is a homicidal maniac.

Yes!!! But they are OUR psychopaths!!! :icon_lol:

I mean we wouldn't want our SF operators to be like a bunch of namby pamby cooks or some supply MOS guys right?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Not sure why you are including all that unrelated stuff in this thread, but as far as Chris Kyle rednecking in Iraq, it would not surprise me if Charles Manson, Adam Lanza, George Zimmerman, Timothy McVeigh and just about every serial killer on death row would make EXCELLENT soldiers in today's Army. Killing people for sport is just not something normal people do. I am a veteran. But I would not enjoy killing even though I would do it in the service of the country. The standards of today's Army (not the Marines, who rejected Kyle) have been lowered significantly to allow unstable people like Chris Kyle to enter easily.

Please try to stay on topic. None of the content of your last three posts belongs in this thread. The Republic of the Congo has nothing to do with America, the American Sniper movie, Iraq, Chris Kyle or rednecks with rifles.

There ya go again, yacking out the side of your neck...:winking0052:

Kyle was not a soldier, he was a sailor, who by the way (if you saw the movie,which I did not but I know enough of the story to the point that I want to) saved many a Marine ass while giving overwatch to Marine patrols in places like Fallujah.

As far as recruiting..well when I recruited, the Army and the Navy were the only branches that required recruiters to run local,state and federal criminal background checks on applicants. The airforce and marines ONLY ran them if an applicant self admitted to a charge (why so many airforce and marine recruits get discharged at meps on ship day--after their NCIC checks came back)

We (us and the Navy) frequently see kids who joined USAF and USMC who WE KNEW HAD DQ criminal backgrounds because we had already ran the checks and turned them away!

Wait. I already see your next move, your'e going to quote some stat that shows that the amount of in service crim activity and subsequent discharges are higher in the navy and army. But of course, they are the 2 largest services, more ppl more problems. and besides, just because someone has a clean record today is no indication of what they may do in the future

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Yes well lets see..we have Kyle--a sailor and Routh (his killer) a marine

what was someone saying about "nutjobs" only being in the army? :icon_lol:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Agreed, being a good soldier does not mean that one can handle other soldiers with PSTD symptoms.

Neither Kyle nor his killer were soldiers...now you guys are sounding like the ill informed news casters on TV, where in their mind everyone is a soldier

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
In fairness youngjin, I believe OM dropped the "brown people" remark after it was established Kyle did not say it or write it but rather it came from the author of an article in the Guardian where she accused him of loving to "kill brown people".

I'm not in either camp here, just in the "fairness requires we do our own legwork before denigrating someone" camp. Lest we forget some of us in this forum got slimed in the past and it was by doing legwork that it was proven false.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Allow me to give you my professional opinion (psychology college degree here) - Chris Kyle was NOT a "psychopath" - he does not conform to the definition of "psychopath" as stated in the DSM IV by the APA. He may have suffered some mental health issues after his time in the military - but was able to integrate fully back into society.

Most with serious mental health issues - from Timothy McVeigh (the libs fave stalking horse) to this guy who killed Chris Kyle, are given mental health discharges from the military. I guess you don't know any people who currently serve, OM1, I do - including the spouses of several of my co-workers and the former county prosecutor here. (you should hear his comments about gitmo- he spent 9 months on rotation there as a JAG) they are functioning and productive members of society. you are starting to sound like john kerry there OM1. ;)