Rings of Power on AMZ

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The tag line says 'Lord of the Rings' series, but in it it does state pre FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

I have said before, there is a lot of material that Tolkien wrote that could fit that time period as LOTR's is basically the last thing, besides a few bits of the 'future' in the LOTR' appendices, written in the Middle Earth timeline.

They could also do a filler pieces based on his notes.

Either way, be interesting to see if and how it goes down.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/amazons-new-lord-of-the-rings-series-will-feature-previ-1820400841

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
The tag line say 'Lord of the Rings' series, but in it it does state pre FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

I have said before, there is a lot of material that Tolkien wrote that could fit that time period as LOTR's is basically the last thing, besides a few bits of the 'future' in the LOTR' appendices, written in the Middle Earth timeline.

They could also do a filler pieces based on his notes.

Either way, be interesting to see if and how it goes down.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/amazons-new-lord-of-the-rings-series-will-feature-previ-1820400841
I wouldn't mind watching this.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
they would have to 'make up' stuff if anything pre FOTR included Frodo and his 3 buds

not a whole lot of room for Gandalf or the other wiz's either as they were fairly recent arrivals to ME

would really love to see them take up a serialized version of SILMARILLION

that book, it is nearly an anthology though there is a common goal of all the main characters, would be perfect for a series

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
"Set in Middle Earth, the television adaptation will explore new storylines preceding Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring. I hear that there are some creative restrictions imposed by the rights holders on what can be done and what can’t be done in a LOTRTV series."

yeah, like maybe not have Elvish armies show up where they never did (Helm's Deep), making the 'army of the dead' too ghostly and creating female elvish warriors when there were none (Arwen at the river crossing/ escape to Rivendale and that Dwarf loving twit from Mirkwood)

that is a good way to get started--helps to keep the story from going all 'shannara chronicles'

and they really need to stop calling it a "lotr's tv series". by their own accounts, it could not be

http://deadline.com/2017/11/amazon-...tv-series-multi-season-commitment-1202207065/

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
yeah, its not that hard YAHOO

and can the 'news media' stop comparing everything from VIKINGS to the potential of a Anne Rice series to this, to the over sexed and over blooded GAME OF THRONES?

The map not having Beleriand or the forest road in Mirkwood on it as well as their use of the 'three rings for the elven kings..." suggests a 2nd age setting for the story

If that is the case then, no Aragorn, no Bilbo or Frodo, no Gandalf, definitely appearances of Galadriel, Sauron- as Annatar, and probably a pre Rivendell Elrond. As well as a story involving many other yet unseen in film, Elven characters. A story centered mainly on Elves and the men of Numenor and their realms in middle earth.

hopefully they do the source material justice, they will have a lot of wiggle room

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-begins-teasing-upcoming-lord-010853071.html

Last edited:

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
After watching the three "Hobbit" movies I noticed the perils of Pauline routine where none of the characters ever got an injury until the very end. So there doesn't have to be shrinkage of characters

What you are bad-mouthing Evangeline Lily's version of an Elf? All the Elf's are ageless, so we can take them all the way back.

If you need actors you can try to get Shumer to play a Dwarf as well as Pelosi playing a Hobbit.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
After watching the three "Hobbit" movies I noticed the perils of Pauline routine where none of the characters ever got an injury until the very end. So there doesn't have to be shrinkage of characters

What you are bad-mouthing Evangeline Lily's version of an Elf? All the Elf's are ageless, so we can take them all the way back.

If you need actors you can try to get Shumer to play a Dwarf as well as Pelosi playing a Hobbit.

these elves (this is about a tolkien work so you gotta us his spelling :) )only exist in a forward flow of time--they cant bounce backwards

the characters i say we wont see if this is a 2 age setting, would not have been born yet or have arrived to middle earth yet

would could very well see dwarves (again Tolkien "sic") though, they were quite abundant in this time frame

until i see a trailer I HAVE ZERO confidence this will be anywhere near good though :(

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
But D& D are the writers so it will be like got season 8 garbage all over again . LOTR will not be as you remember it .

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
But D& D are the writers so it will be like got season 8 garbage all over again . LOTR will not be as you remember it .

Maybe, but this show is not LOTR's so they do have some leeway. there is not even a whole written story on the time period the show will cover

just tolkien's notes and some entries in the LOTRs appendix as well as backstory from the Silmarilion

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

THIS. The only reason for there to be a LOTR series is to milk the IP for viewers, so it will not be like the original. It will be NuLOTR, Tastes Just Like Butter!™

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
THIS. The only reason for there to be a LOTR series is to milk the IP for viewers, so it will not be like the original. It will be NuLOTR, Tastes Just Like Butter!™

you all have it wrong

you criticisms might be accepted but they are based on an incorrect perception of what the show will be about

it is not lord of the rings

lord of the rings is a trilogy set in the third age of middle earth

this series will be set in the second age. about 5,000 yrs give or take, before lotr's

so no hobbits (At least none we know), no aragorn, no rohan, no Ring(s) (though we may see them being made)

gandalf and saruman may be seen, it depends on f they are setting the show before or after their arrival to middle earth

sauron will be chief villain, but he will appear in a different form.

Elrond and Galadriel would most defi be in it as Elves are ageless, but there should be no Rivendell- it wasn't built yet

the story will most likely center around the men of Numenor and their struggle with Sauron. if this is before his turning against them then he will be seen by them as a friend

so no nuLOTR's, no nothing LOTR's, the media is saying 'lotr's series' because they are idiots and any google search would show them what the show is based on

the misnomer is already so invested that even AMZ is calling it that--for now--while at the same time revealing it will be in the second age-BEFORE THE RINGS were ever made by their Lord

"welcome to the second age" and the details of the map are what indicates what the story will be

upload_2019-7-30_11-52-9.png

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

and this guy clearly does not have all the info (per amazons release) he,and others are constructing criticisms on a misunderstanding of what the show even is about

and, besides, he is only using this as yet one more platform to criticize the ending of game of thrones

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
from the director. note where he says "second age" and a "story not seen told before"

J.R.R. Tolkien created one of the most extraordinary and inspiring stories of all time. I can’t wait to take audiences around the world to Middle-earth and have them discover the wonders of the Second Age, with a never before seen story.

‘The Lord Of The Rings’: J.A. Bayona To Direct Amazon Series
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom director Juan Antonio (J.A.) Bayona wil direct the first two episodes of The Lord of the Rings TV series.
deadline.com

12:28 PM · Jul 3, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
here is a video that gives an explanation of what the show will cover

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I thought "What about the Silmarillion etc". Tolkien created a whole history. There's too much stuff to leave it at six films.

absolutely, I was hoping for a series on the tales from SILMARILLION

but

the series will be set in the 2nd age though. which means, of course, the only written source material is scant.

this gives plenty of wiggle room for tptb's to do a lot of their own accord. it is a damned good thing, therefore, that the Tolkien estate stipulated that a 'tolkien expert'' of the families choosing has to be involved in writing and production to ensure the frackery is kept to a minimum and 'tolkien-esque'

2nd age covers everything from the Numenoreans and their exploits in middle earth and on their island, to include their capture of Suaron, to their downfall. It also covers the making of the rings by the elves and the war against Sauron

which we see one small scene of at the beginning of LOTR's, fellowship film and the battle at Mt Doom where the ring is cut from Sauron's finger