Ahhh The Smells of SPRING !!! 1-2-3

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
yup, we do show/tell them-ppl can even go to the coop and look up the chicken's butt if they want to!:anim_59:

A few yrs back, a couple from Ontario stopped by and bought about 10dz eggs. They asked to see the chickens. No problem

Get to the coop and they said "we had no idea that chickens were so messy"

I get all kinds of stupid statements like that, from all types of people, local or otherwise

I have a question about Romaine lettuce...can you help me?

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Oh we've got the road salt everywhere and also pot holes every 10 feet on the roads. Nothing is blossoming yet but I've got allergies to beat the band! I always get them when the snow melts and the ground is still dead and barren. The only thing that grows at this time of year is mold. Yes, mold, I can sometimes see it on the lawn early in the day. It's wonderful stuff that makes my head feel swollen and makes my eyes gush and makes it hard to breathe.

Oh -- and forget allergy medicine. I've tried tons over the years and it barely makes a dent. (Benedryl can help but the problem is it puts me to sleep. Little known fact: the main ingredient in Benedryl for allergies is the exact same ingredient that is in Nytol sleeping pills -- Diphenhydramine hydrachloride.)

Me too.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Please state the nature of the lettuce emergency

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
State your inquiry

Okay, I started growing my Romaine from a stalk stump as recommended by a website I was consulting. The Romaine I bought looks like this:

romaine-lettuce-food-0707-lgn.jpg
romaine_lettuce.jpg

My actual plant looks like this:

20140408_155817.jpg

The lettuce is "branching" and not forming a leaf cluster. This does not make sense to me. Can you tell me what is going on here, and why my plant does not grow like this one?

download (4).jpg

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Okay, I started growing my Romaine from a stalk stump as recommended by a website I was consulting. The Romaine I bought looks like this:

View attachment 29752 View attachment 29751

View attachment 29753

The lettuce is "branching" and not forming a leaf cluster. This does not make sense to me. Can you tell me what is going on here, and why my plant does not grow like this one?

View attachment 29754

This looks like what happens to lettuce after you let it grow out and want it to "go to seed". Except I do not see the large leaves which should still be there (at least a few)

My guess is one of two things:

1--You have too much nitrogen in your soil-N causes fast and abundant growth but not "mass" or fruit

or

2--It is almost as if the stump you planted continued growing from where it left off ---like fingernails growing but the rest of the arm is missing :anim_59:

Such things are prone to occurring when the fruit/vegetable is of a certain "type" (I'll leave it out to avoid distraction). When one buys these types of foods and tries to grow something from it, you will normally get some type of strange plant

If you would have planted seeds, than you would have some pretty robust lettuce plants growing in the time it took to grow this "Frankenstein". Good watering and not even much heat (we can grow lettuce in the winter in a "hotbox/cold frame" if it isn't covered with snow) will make lettuce sprout and grow quickly

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.

View attachment 29752 View attachment 29751

View attachment 29753

View attachment 29754
due look at your growing medium.. IE your "pot" NO plant can grow to the size or to what it is suposed to be in a too small growing medium it needs room for its roots which most of the time grow to be 3 times the size of the actual plant.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
And lettuce (and spinach) grows best in cooler temps--so, you may want to raise the height of your light so the lettuce gets light but less heat from it

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
due look at your growing medium.. IE your "pot" NO plant can grow to the size or to what it is suposed to be in a too small growing medium it needs room for its roots which most of the time grow to be 3 times the size of the actual plant.

This lettuce looked "mutated" :) I already dumped it, and I am going to grow it from seed.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
And it tastes good in muffins, cookies , salads , rolled up pieces of paper or inserted into a cigar shell for those extra stressful days when you need a release and nut just a snack :) :) :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Pot is easier :) :) :)

Totally agree. Im on my second vegging already after harvesting my first two plants. I should be able to harvest again in two months. :). My plants seem to be digging their grow pod in a big way. Easy to control growing and light conditions. :) Make canna butter! That way, you can use it in place of regular butter i any goodies you want to make. Also, dried leaf makes a great garnish sprinkled over tomaato soup. You can use pot wherever you use oregano. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This lettuce looked "mutated" :) I already dumped it, and I am going to grow it from seed.

So since you ditched it, here is my plan:

IF you got that lettuce at WHOLE FOODS or some other organic place THAN it should grow just fine, IF it truly was non modified organic

So
If you did get it there, and if I were--with me being smart-assed me--you, I would take it to the store manager and ask "How can your lettuce be organic and non GMO if it is growing this mutant?"

Also, did you taste it? Did it taste like lettuce? If not, than I would say it was definitely "f'd" with by some botanical wizardry by blending it with some weed plant (for better growth and resilience)

just like when you buy an apple or pear tree, it is often grown on a graft of a hardier and compatible species

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Pot is easier :) :) :)
BULLSHIT! good pot is REALLY hard so fuck off with that bs. it took me 6 years to get a decent system going for good yeilds and potancy and effect that i can bare, not to mention various soil soiless passive hydro etc solution experiments.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Show me, don't tell me baby. ;)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
BULLSHIT! good pot is REALLY hard so fuck off with that bs. it took me 6 years to get a decent system going for good yeilds and potancy and effect that i can bare, not to mention various soil soiless passive hydro etc solution experiments.

You're a f**king scientist, you know that?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Im starting to learn the curing process. My grow solution works great. :) I got a decent first yield of 12 gms (wet) from each plant which turned out to be 9gms dried bud. This is from plants only 16" tall. :) But the curing process which takes the "green" taste out of the bud is an art. It takes as long as growing the damned plant! Im going to have to experience at least two more harvests to perfect my technique. I totally agree with you on it not being that easy. :)