A Review of Warehouse 13: Season 3 Episode 2

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Um...You might want to check and see who started the Jinks bashing thread. It wasn't me who came out swinging with an absolutist statement about this character. I merely countered JL's statement with the fact that I held the opposite view in regards to Jinks. If JL can have an absolutist stance on fictional characters then I can also. So can you. :PP.S. I think we can all agree that "Kate" should be fed to an abnormal and "Ashley" should be brought back to Sanctuary post haste. And also "Jinks" should be made a permanent cast member of WH13. :P :P :P
Yes we can all have an absolutist's stance on whatever we want, because absolutism is so conducive to discussion. I know at least 50% of what you just wrote is in jest, but seriously, we need to dial back the judgements a bit, and thats not just you, it's everyone. Do we want to discuss issues and such, or do we just want to stroke our ego's? I'm not sure I'm getting my point across as well as I would like, but I'm trusting that you will understand the underlying intent, a lack of perception is never something I would say about you.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Raising concerns about a character and their role in a show in the context of a review is not "bashing". Besides, I think GF76 is referring to the ad hominem stuff being uncalled for.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Raising concerns about a character and their role in a show in the context of a review is not "bashing". Besides, I think GF76 is referring to the ad hominem stuff being uncalled for.

You didn't "raise concerns", you outright bashed the character and insisted, in an absolutist fashion, that he didn't fit after two (2) freaking episodes! Your judgmental stance on the character after seeing only two (2) episodes was ridiculous and deserving of being referred to in a jocular fashion. It was hardly an ad hominem attack, especially since it was in reference to a poor debating trait that you have exhibited in the past JL. You're absolutist about Sanctuary and now also WH13. Since this is the issue in question -- your absolutism -- then pointing the ridiculousness of it out is hardly an ad hominem attack.

But hey, those most lacking the ability to defend their stances are the first to play the "ad hom victim card".:roll: My advice: If you can't handle having your absolutist opinion challenged in an open forum then don't start a thread based upon an absolutist opinion. ;)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
You didn't "raise concerns", you outright bashed the character and insisted, in an absolutist fashion, that he didn't fit after two (2) freaking episodes! Your judgmental stance on the character after seeing only two (2) episodes was ridiculous and deserving of being referred to in a jocular fashion. It was hardly an ad hominem attack, especially since it was in reference to a poor debating trait that you have exhibited in the past JL. You're absolutist about Sanctuary and now also WH13. Since this is the issue in question -- your absolutism -- then pointing the ridiculousness of it out is hardly an ad hominem attack. But hey, those most lacking the ability to defend their stances are the first to play the "ad hom victim card".:roll: My advice: If you can't handle having your absolutist opinion challenged in an open forum then don't start a thread based upon an absolutist opinion. ;)
Are you suggesting I would respond the same way Bro?The only point I'm trying to get across is that we all see things our own way, Did Joelist seem "absolutist" to you? I don't think so. Raised his concerns perhaps a little strongly, maybe. Again, thats hardly the point, Joe see's X you see Y, both are valid because they are both opinions.The essense of what I'm trying to get across is, don't get your damn panties in a bunch, discuss why X is good and why "Y" sucks, there is no need for us to tear eachothers throats out, we are buddies, compadre's, Mi Amigo's, if we can't be civil to eachoher, what hope do we have with others?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Are you suggesting I would respond the same way Bro?The only point I'm trying to get across is that we all see things our own way, Did Joelist seem "absolutist" to you? I don't think so. Raised his concerns perhaps a little strongly, maybe. Again, thats hardly the point, Joe see's X you see Y, both are valid because they are both opinions.The essense of what I'm trying to get across is, don't get your damn panties in a bunch, discuss why X is good and why "Y" sucks, there is no need for us to tear eachothers throats out, we are buddies, compadre's, Mi Amigo's, if we can't be civil to eachoher, what hope do we have with others?

I'm disappointed GF. I thought that you would have figured it out by now. I mean, we're on page 2 already. Go back and re-read the thread and see if you can find it. I'll give you a hint: Kate. ;)

And I am being civil. I have no desire to tear anyone's throat out (I've already had dinner ;) ). I'm simply making a point, which is ironically in line with what you just stated here. Think about it and see if you can figure it out.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually I used the term ad hominem properly in both threads where this has happened. I was not the one who called another person "absolutist" or "judgmental" or made "throne" references. These are examples of ad hominem.

You and I have differing opinions of Jinks and Kate. Fine. But there is no need to start insulting people, especially when all I did was write a review post and in it state a concern I had. Noting the presence of ad hominem (which is insulting the presenter to discredit what is presented) is not a "poor debate tactic". It is possible to have differing opinions on things without warfare to determine a victor.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I'm disappointed GF. I thought that you would have figured it out by now. I mean, we're on page 2 already. Go back and re-read the thread and see if you can find it. I'll give you a hint: Kate. ;)And I am being civil. I have no desire to tear anyone's throat out (I've already had dinner ;) ). I'm simply making a point, which is ironically in line with what you just stated here. Think about it and see if you can figure it out.
SighYeah dude, I get your point, you saw joelist's comments as absolutism, in somewhat jest you added your own absolutism, I get it. I'm asking if it is useful to do so? I myself think Ashley was a far better charater than Kate because she was an excellent tie in to the mythos of Magnus and Druitt and gave some semblance of reason for thier dysfunctional relationship. Then again, Kate is good on occasion because she restores the "informed outsider" view that Will was supposed to have, yet lost so quickly.In the end, I guess I just don't want to see useless arguments about opinions break up the fun.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I likewise don't want our community to descend into turf wars. So if anyone viewed my statements as absolutist, I apologize.

G

Graybrew1

I likewise don't want our community to descend into turf wars. So if anyone viewed my statements as absolutist, I apologize.

Dude, both GF and Shaed are beyond mature intelligent posters, I don't think you have a problem.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Actually I used the term ad hominem properly in both threads where this has happened. I was not the one who called another person "absolutist" or "judgmental" or made "throne" references. These are examples of ad hominem.

You and I have differing opinions of Jinks and Kate. Fine. But there is no need to start insulting people, especially when all I did was write a review post and in it state a concern I had. Noting the presence of ad hominem (which is insulting the presenter to discredit what is presented) is not a "poor debate tactic". It is possible to have differing opinions on things without warfare to determine a victor.

Stretching the definition of ad hominem a bit, aren't we? The terms "absolutist" and "judgmental" were accurately descriptive of your attitude regarding the subject of discussion. To claim that is an ad hom is a bit of a stretch. You must be using the wiki definition here. :roll:

And as for the "throne" crack, again, it was apropos. You were blatantly declarative in your opinion that Jinks was an unnecessary character that should be gotten rid of and you would broach no disagreement with that belief. If that isn't a petulant "I am the king!" sort of stance I don't know what is. So enough with the "I'm a victim call the waaaaaahhhmbulance!!!" type of nonsense. You have no right to cry foul here and it's rather ridiculous to even try. Besides, it's an incredibly juvenile debating tactic that calls into question your age and maturity.

And your debating tactics are poor as the last line of your post proves. I never said or attempted to be a "victor" or engage in "warfare" in this discussion. The fact that I started off by admitting that opinions regarding fictional characters was subjective proves the point that one can't be a "victor" in this regard. Nice try to slam me with a back-handed insult while taking the lofty high road in that last line of yours. (*cough* "Throne" *cough*)

So far I like the character of "Jinks" (because there hasn't been anything presented yet that would make me dislike him) and you, clearly, don't respect my opinion of him. That's insulting. You don't have to agree with my opinion, but to insist that I'm wrong when the character hasn't even been in more than two episodes is ridiculous and insulting.

Why do you think I brought up "Kate" from Sanctuary? I was holding up a mirror to your argument about "Jinks". It was the exact same thing, an absolutist and insulting opinion that petulantly suffered no argument. The only difference is that my "Kate" opinion had more merit as she has been in two whole seasons of Sanctuary. "Jinks" on the other hand hasn't been in more than two episodes of WH13. One can make an argument for or against "Kate" at this point as there is a history to judge the character on, but "Jinks" can't be judged effectively yet because we haven't seen enough of him to form a solid opinion yet. Even I admit that. But if you think you can form such a firm, intransigent negative opinion about a character that we know very little about at this point then more power to you. Must be nice to form opinions before even half the facts are in on any given subject but it's your life, not mine. Just do me a favor and don't whine when your method of opinion formulation gets questioned, m'kay? Having one's opinion challenged happens a lot in the real world. You better get used to it. :)

G

Graybrew1

I still respect both and I now you guys will battle it out as the gentlemen that you are.