A Review of Warehouse 13: Season 3 Episode 2

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This week Warehouse 13 went to more of an A and B team motif in its approach, having two mysteries handled by two different teams. And really the story of the episode is, to me, that these stories were very uneven.

The A story had Pete and Myka investigating artifacts that originated with Walter Winchell, which had the power of extracting and returning memories. This story worked well, with Myka racing to save Pete, who was pretty much turned into a mental child by the artifact. It also allowed for exploration of the underlying issue between them that arose when Myka resigned last season. Upside: Pete and Myka are all fine now. There was also a nifty 1A plot where the mission was sort of a probationary one for Myka before the Regents would approve her return. The nifty part was where it turned out that the regents were more interested in Myka proving to herself she could do the job - they already knew she could.

The B story had Claudia paired with "the other guy" (Agent Jinks) on the trail of an artifact in the form of a hatchet that transfers illness from one person to another. This one did not work as well as the A story for a very basic reason - Claudia and Jinks don't have any "partner" chemistry. The story was ok, but the lack of that chemistry between what is the equivalent of "buddy cops" dragged the B story down. The pairing kind of felt like what would happen if someone made a serious cop movie that had Jason Statham partnered with The Beeb as "buddy cops".

In fact, the lack of real chemistry with Jinks has appeared in both episodes this season. I am sure the actor is a good one, but the way the character is written makes him not mesh properly at all with the rest of the scooby gang. And this is a potentially troubling problem to have in a show like this.

In my opinion, Warehouse 13 succeeds because it is light hearted but also incorporates a key element of what popularly is called the "buddy cop" genre (think movies like Lethal Weapon). The relationship and interaction between the leads, especially Pete and Myka, gives the show a lot of its charm and "pizzazz". This happens because Joanne Kelly (Myka) and Eddie McClintock (Pete) play off each other fantastically well. They even already have a second duo that play very well off of each other - Alison Scagliotti (Claudia) and Saul Rubinek (Artie). The problem is that so far the character of Jinks (played by Aaron Ashmore) does not play well at all off of anyone. And to make it worse by inserting the character into what is really a show with a cast of four they are messing with a very effective and proven character chemistry.

Based on the first two episodes, I hope they either remove the character or figure out a way to employ him more effectively, as right now he is basically window dressing.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Poor Aaron Ashmore, always coming in a little bit late to the party. He was too late in Smallville as Chloe's love interest (Jimmy Olson) to make a good impact (heaps of people just want's to see Chloe hook up with Clark), and now he's another "fifth wheel" again. Poor guy can't cop a break.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The thing is, if the character had been written with more of an eye to integration into the team there would not be an issue.

G

Graybrew1

I like the actor, he is vey likeable. I hope they can fix this and move on. He could be a great addition to the team. They should have let him be hetero and it might have been interesting to see him and Claudia in a non ship ship set-up.....where one of them was interested but not the other. They can't do that now. They just kind of through that out there and then moved on to the next plot point. Not handled well at all, does he have a partner? They could have made him Bi and then he could be torn. But that was a missed opportunity I think.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Have to disagree on this one Joe buddy

This week Warehouse 13 went to more of an A and B team motif in its approach, having two mysteries handled by two different teams. And really the story of the episode is, to me, that these stories were very uneven.

The A story had Pete and Myka investigating artifacts that originated with Walter Winchell, which had the power of extracting and returning memories. This story worked well, with Myka racing to save Pete, who was pretty much turned into a mental child by the artifact. It also allowed for exploration of the underlying issue between them that arose when Myka resigned last season. Upside: Pete and Myka are all fine now. There was also a nifty 1A plot where the mission was sort of a probationary one for Myka before the Regents would approve her return. The nifty part was where it turned out that the regents were more interested in Myka proving to herself she could do the job - they already knew she could.

The B story had Claudia paired with "the other guy" (Agent Jinks) on the trail of an artifact in the form of a hatchet that transfers illness from one person to another. This one did not work as well as the A story for a very basic reason - Claudia and Jinks don't have any "partner" chemistry. The story was ok, but the lack of that chemistry between what is the equivalent of "buddy cops" dragged the B story down. The pairing kind of felt like what would happen if someone made a serious cop movie that had Jason Statham partnered with The Beeb as "buddy cops".

In fact, the lack of real chemistry with Jinks has appeared in both episodes this season. I am sure the actor is a good one, but the way the character is written makes him not mesh properly at all with the rest of the scooby gang. And this is a potentially troubling problem to have in a show like this.

In my opinion, Warehouse 13 succeeds because it is light hearted but also incorporates a key element of what popularly is called the "buddy cop" genre (think movies like Lethal Weapon). The relationship and interaction between the leads, especially Pete and Myka, gives the show a lot of its charm and "pizzazz". This happens because Joanne Kelly (Myka) and Eddie McClintock (Pete) play off each other fantastically well. They even already have a second duo that play very well off of each other - Alison Scagliotti (Claudia) and Saul Rubinek (Artie). The problem is that so far the character of Jinks (played by Aaron Ashmore) does not play well at all off of anyone. And to make it worse by inserting the character into what is really a show with a cast of four they are messing with a very effective and proven character chemistry.

Based on the first two episodes, I hope they either remove the character or figure out a way to employ him more effectively, as right now he is basically window dressing.

You're being extremely subjective in your opinion of Jinks. I find he works great as a character so far and meshes nicely with the others. In fact, I was surprised by how easy his partnering with Pete worked out. It was like they had been partners for awhile I thought. They differed and squabbled a bit but also were comedic together.

As for the Claudia partnering, that was fine. Why do you think they didn't work together? We're you expecting another version of Pete and Myka?

You're being far too subjectively judgmental here as there has only been two episodes so far and you're ready to throw Jinks under a fast moving bus. Hell, his character has been more interesting and has gelled more with the other characters more in two episodes than Leena has done since the start of the show. What does she do again? Owns a bed and breakfast and can see auras. Yawn...

Jinks, in my estimation, does work and I'm sure Aaron Ashmore has a lot to do with making the character work. If it was a different actor phoning the performance then the character might not work, but for now the character and the actor are pretty good.

So there you go. :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Obviously any opinion of a character is going to be subjective. What I am seeing in both episodes is that he is functioning kind of like an accessory. When he was with Pete it did not feel like Pete had a partner, but rather like there was this guy following Pete around who interjected a couple of lines. At the time I just dismissed it. figuring they were going to have him be more integrated especially with previews showing him teamed with Claudia.

Well, he was teamed with Claudia and the result was pretty much the same. It was all Claudia (with a bit of Artie) and again Jinx was just there to add a couple of throwaway lines. In the scenes where they had him interrelating with Claudia it felt extremely forced. So again the character is out of sync with the dynamic of the show.

I have no issue with the actor (I thought he was pretty good in Smallville), but the charatcer as written is out of sync with the scooby gang. As to Leena, she is irrelevant because she is a bit character and never was intended to be part of the core group. The dynamic of Warehouse 13 (and what has made it successful) is that of a lighter mood show. The character dynamic has been one of a core group of 4 (Pete, Myka, Artie and Claudia) with other peripheral characters (Mrs. Fredericks, Leena, the Regents) invoked as needed. That core group has been very effective, especially as it naturally operates as sort of two teams (Pete and Myka and Artie and Claudia). It may be that a character like Jinks simply needs to be peripheral, and that the core group is inviolable - who knows?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Subjective, yes, we definitely agree on that. I didn't find the scenes with Jinks to be forced at all. You're simple expecting far too much from two (2) episodes. Can we give the character time to unpack his bags first?

As for Claudia being part of the core group, keep in mind that she wasn't an original character. She became a regular character in Season 2. Tell me, did you love her so unreservedly by the second episode she was in? If not, then can we please give Jinks the same courtesy of seeing how he fleshes out?

And Leena was, I believe, meant to have a bigger role in the happenings of the warehouse, but for some reason the writers haven't been able to make her that interesting. They need to trim down the cast starting with her character. Let Jinks play out at least one season, but Leena has had her time. Stick a fork in her ass, she's done!

As for Jinks needing to be peripheral, then what is the point of even introducing his character at all? He obviously exists for a reason, at least for this particular season, otherwise he wouldn't be a character on the show. Last season had H.G. and this season has Jinks. That doesn't mean he will stick around and it doesn't mean he will disturb or destroy the dynamics of Pete and Myka, which is the core of the show. As for Artie and Claudia, meh, the writers figured out another antagonistic/affectionate pairing that works. Bully for them. That still doesn't mean that Jinks can't work with them also.

Oh, and the fact that Jinks is gay doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that they said that his backstory would be revealed more in episode 2 but finding out someone is gay in this day and age really isn't what I'd call a "big reveal". So, the writers dropped the ball on that one I grant you. I am expecting things to develop with his character soon though.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Claudia may have only been "full time" as of season two but they had the dynamic with her and Artie going even in Season 1. H.G. was clearly intended to be temporary with the villain/hero/villain arc they had her on. Jinks on the other hand just comes off as "the other guy" (which is what SyFy is calling him no less).

In addition, two episodes may not be a lot but it is enough to see if a character just does not fit into the dynamic of a show. And right now Jinks does not fit.

G

Graybrew1

Dudes, nobody even thought to comment on my opinion? Was it that lame?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I like the actor, he is vey likeable. I hope they can fix this and move on. He could be a great addition to the team. They should have let him be hetero and it might have been interesting to see him and Claudia in a non ship ship set-up.....where one of them was interested but not the other. They can't do that now. They just kind of through that out there and then moved on to the next plot point. Not handled well at all, does he have a partner? They could have made him Bi and then he could be torn. But that was a missed opportunity I think.

Oh God, pleeeeeeezzzzzzzz don't advocate that there be "bi" characters. Next thing you know we'll be inundated with inane love triangles, ugh!

As for Jinks being gay, it doesn't bother me as these days it's rather trivial. I read an interview where they said we'd get more of his back story in episode 2 but it was made to sound like we'd be privy to what his deal is this season. His being gay is hardly a plot point so I hope they come up with something good.

But there's only been two episodes so far (*cough cough*) so we need to give the season a little time to get rolling. ;)

G

Graybrew1

Oh God, pleeeeeeezzzzzzzz don't advocate that there be "bi" characters. Next thing you know we'll be inundated with inane love triangles, ugh!

As for Jinks being gay, it doesn't bother me as these days it's rather trivial. I read an interview where they said we'd get more of his back story in episode 2 but it was made to sound like we'd be privy to what his deal is this season. His being gay is hardly a plot point so I hope they come up with something good.

But there's only been two episodes so far (*cough cough*) so we need to give the season a little time to get rolling. ;)

But don't you think they missed out on on opportunity to make his character more interesting. What is wrong with the Bi character?
I just think they made a lame, fill in the blank and drop it, type of decision.

At least you responded to me this time, I was beginning to get a bit of a complex. :(

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Claudia may have only been "full time" as of season two but they had the dynamic with her and Artie going even in Season 1. H.G. was clearly intended to be temporary with the villain/hero/villain arc they had her on. Jinks on the other hand just comes off as "the other guy" (which is what SyFy is calling him no less).

In addition, two episodes may not be a lot but it is enough to see if a character just does not fit into the dynamic of a show. And right now Jinks does not fit.

I think you're confusing "Jinks" with "Kate" from Sanctuary. Two episodes is hardly enough time to know if a character fits, but two seasons, yeah, that's an easy call. ;)

Get back to me when Jinks has been stinking up the place for two seasons, until then you might want to loosen your draconian judgment rule of two episodes and you're out. Jinks ain't going nowhere for at least an entire season of WH13 so you better get used to it. :icon_lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Kate fits in very well at Sanctuary, so the analogy does not fit.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
But don't you think they missed out on on opportunity to make his character more interesting. What is wrong with the Bi character?

At least you responded to me this time, I was beginning to get a bit of a complex. :(

Really they could have easily made no statements at all about sexuality. It would have been about the same effect to the story but would leave them more room to maneuver with the character.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

A "bi" character would be, to me, a big yawn. It would only be done, obviously, for titillation factor, and I hate contrived crap like that.

As for the gay thing with Jinks, well, if they don't push it to the front of the show then that's fine I think. His sexuality should just be a given and not a plot point. And to be honest I don't know how that could even be possible. I guess what I'm saying is I hope they don't go over board with pushing his sexuality due to a PC mindset. It will be much better if they just have the gay thing simply be part of who he is. It's not a big deal and shouldn't be made so. I will be disappointed if they have Pete turn out to be a big homophobe when he finds out Jinks is gay. That's just so 90's.:roll:

Had they left him straight then there would have been the question of him and Myka having sexual tension and Pete being jealous, yadda yadda yadda. I think they'll tackle that at some point with some male character, but hopefully not too soon because I don't need or want to see Pete and Myka hook up.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Really they could have easily made no statements at all about sexuality. It would have been about the same effect to the story but would leave them more room to maneuver with the character.
AgreeThere is no need to adress a characters sexuality upfront unless it is a defining feature of the character, to do otherwise is a waste of an opertunity.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Kate fits in very well at Sanctuary, so the analogy does not fit.

So because you say a character fits or not then you're the final word on it? :roll: Can I sit on your throne sometime my lord?

Oh, and "Kate" sucks donkey balls -- big, sweaty, smelly donkey balls! :P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
AgreeThere is no need to adress a characters sexuality upfront unless it is a defining feature of the character, to do otherwise is a waste of an opertunity.

The only reason I can figure out for them doing so in regards to Jinks was either because the producers want to be very PC ("I know, let's write a gay character!") or they want to eliminate the issue of Myka and a male other than Pete having sexual tension between them this season. I think they're saving that for later on in the series. They always make the two leads have a romantic relationship later on in every series. It's lame.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
So because you say a character fits or not then you're the final word on it? :roll: Can I sit on your throne sometime my lord? Oh, and "Kate" sucks donkey balls -- big, sweaty, smelly donkey balls! :P
Err, who needs a throne now??Disagreements are cool and all, but do we really need to go from discussion to "you disagree therefore you are forcing your point of view down my throat" in the space of a few posts?Agree to disagree, state your case, but really, is this kind of crap required?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Err, who needs a throne now??Disagreements are cool and all, but do we really need to go from discussion to "you disagree therefore you are forcing your point of view down my throat" in the space of a few posts?Agree to disagree, state your case, but really, is this kind of crap required?

Um...You might want to check and see who started the Jinks bashing thread. It wasn't me who came out swinging with an absolutist statement about this character. I merely countered JL's statement with the fact that I held the opposite view in regards to Jinks.

If JL can have an absolutist stance on fictional characters then I can also. So can you. :P

P.S. I think we can all agree that "Kate" should be fed to an abnormal and "Ashley" should be brought back to Sanctuary post haste. And also "Jinks" should be made a permanent cast member of WH13. :P :P :P