A New Strategy?

• Thread starter Robbie_Rocket_Pants
  • Start date
R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

There are a couple of new threads over at GW that just popped up that have me wondering...

The first one makes it look like it may not have even been the original poster's idea to start the thread. Here it is:

GWOurobosdisbeliefthreaed.jpg

What really got me was this line:

What we're looking for here are those specific instances where even wrapped in your warm comfortable blanket of sci-fi viewer ness some part of you just cried out "oh come on!".

Um, okay, just one second - Who is we? That's interesting...

It makes me wonder if "somebody"spoke to the original poster (OP) about starting up this thread first. It sure sounds like it. And why?

Is is a way to get SGA and SG1 fans to do the dirty work for them in listing each and every little way SG-1 and SGA may have had some minor flaws. Is it an attempt to make SGU look good using the theory of "Well, all 3 shows kind of suck so SGU isn't really that bad, right? Right guys?... Right?" That way, when season 2 starts and if people start to complain about how it doesn't make sense here or there, they can easily point to this thread and say "But really all 3 shows have had their problems. Just look here." If this is the case, I doubt it'll work. For any of the flaws that SG-1 and SGA might have had, they always had enough going for them so that the flaws never took over. SGU is another story.

I don't know, but this is a good illustration of one of the reasons why I won't touch anything SGU related over there.

It's too hard to know what's really going on with some of these threads...

On the other hand, and to be fair, it is quite possible that the OP merely spoke to some friends and they all decided that it would be a good idea to start up this thread for whatever reason...

And while I'm on this topic. Here's another thread that just popped up. BTW, there are only 3 or so weeks to go before the SGU season 2 premiere:

GWplotholethread.jpg

But it looks like (s)he's getting some opposition with posts like this one:

GWplotholethreadresponse.jpg

Anyhoo, I just thought all of this was interesting.

Cheers,

A4L

If this is their new strategy it's a lame one & just shows what a sinking turd SGU is if it can't even be promoted on it's one merits & that they have to find fault with SG-1/SGA to justify SGU's existence.

& what's up with that 6th Race goon? Since when was Ra an Asgard? Tit!

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
If this is their new strategy it's a lame one & just shows what a sinking turd SGU is if it can't even be promoted on it's one merits & that they have to find fault with SG-1/SGA to justify SGU's existence.

& what's up with that 6th Race goon? Since when was Ra an Asgard? Tit!

If I can remember rightly, in a directors edition of the movie Stargate you did see an Asgard, however it is more likely that Ra took the Asgard as a host for a limited amount of time.
Edit: After reading into it more, basically he was in an Asgard's body for a short duration, however when finding Earth he quickly took a human host.

Looked it up on the stargate wiki,
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Famrir
Hope that clears it up.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

If I can remember rightly, in a directors edition of the movie Stargate you did see an Asgard, however it is more likely that Ra took the Asgard as a host for a limited amount of time.
Edit: After reading into it more, basically he was in an Asgard's body for a short duration, however when finding Earth he quickly took a human host.

Looked it up on the stargate wiki,
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Famrir
Hope that clears it up.

Well I just had a closer look on Youtube & it looks like it's half way inbetween an Asgard & an Unas so rather than just saying it was an Asgard they could have said it was an unknown species.............. hell they could even say it was a Furling!

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
I always thought they just hadn't come up with the "snake" idea yet?

Whether or not Ra had taken over an Asgard body before, why would we see the Asgard form in the flash? That wouldn't make sense to me, since he wasn't in the Asgard form at that point...if we saw anything, I'd think we would see the "true form" of the alien. That is why I always interpreted the "monster" flash to mean that the writers of the movie hadn't yet developed the "snake" idea at that point. Instead, they just knew the parasitic creature took over a host, and that the monstrous glimpse we got at the ending was the "true" form of that creature. Later when the series came out, I assumed they had developed the idea further into the Goa'uld we are all familiar with. But I could be completely wrong of course.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

I saw this movie at the age of 12 when it was first released & I was fully aware of what the greys looked like - I have never, nor will I ever think that the form we see at the end of the SG movie looks anything like a grey - full stop (or "period" as you Americans say) :D

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
That wiki entry gets its information from a RPG. I don't count that as canon.

Oh come now, we all know wiki pages are the golden source of information
biggrin.gif

Just kidding, anyways I just quickly looked that up and thought it to be quite plausible despite coming from an RPG booklet, anyway since I managed to get people off track I'll put it back on (sorry). It is a new tactic because well, anyone can nit pick anything to death, there are always problems with TV shows hell I had problems with Babylon 5 despite my opinion thinking it is the best science fiction show to air. Actually I could sit here all day and point out the flaws and problems of SG1 or SGA, but the reason why I don't? Because I found it to be plausible within the universe (heh) they created, SG1/SGA had an identity of its own to which you could escape and believe these characters could perform such feats.

SGU on other hand has said the dreaded words, adult, darker, edgier and more realistic which immediately activates a certain part of my brain that will hold the show up to those standards. I critise SGU more harshly because of those standards it is trying to reach but always, always falls short, short point, it is trying to be something it clearly cannot.

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
I think 'we're' in that thread is referring to everyone/the thread/GW in general like, what this thread is looking for. I use it sometimes myself. Do you have the link to that first thread?

WTF Ra is an asgard?:facepalm: They mention he is a parasitic being in the first place that inhabits an Egyptian boy.

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
That's true to. I guess the forum I use it on, I'm a mod, so I end up speaking on behalf of the staff. The thread could harm SGU as well if plotholes are mainly mentioned in SGU.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Actually

Very true, but then it would probably get closed down. LOL. :P From what I've seen and heard, you can bash SG-1 and SGA all you want, but SGU is mainly off limits there...

If you stay off the SGU folder, you get alot more leeway in the "bash aspect" if you want to do it. If you want to do it on the SGU folder, just make damn sure you stay totally on topic. if you do, the mods seem more reluctant to boot stuff.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
I'll take your word for what it's like on most threads in the SGU section of the forum there because I don't frequent that section at all. Most of the information I get on that section is information that I get here with links and screen-shots attached. Most, like almost all, of that information isn't in GW's favor. But like I said, I can't say if that's reflective of what happens on most of the threads in that section or not.

That said, I've seen screen-shots of posts that seemed to me to be on topic when I looked at what the thread title was, but they still got deleted. So, it may depend on the poster and/or the point that they're making.

Outside of the SGU folder, I can only speak about what I've seen in the SGA section. I've seen some posts that take passing shots at SGU and they've remained. So, there might be something to that. I do know that they at first didn't want the thread about the SGA crossover to SGU to be in the SGA section where I believe it started, so they moved it to the SGU section where the modding may have been more strict according to what you're saying. Then, after some criticism, it seems like they changed their minds and moved it back.

All I know is that between the 3 shows, there's less tolerance about negative comments when SGU is concerned than there is with the other 2.

Cheers.

That seems to be true in more than just GW. How many wannabe journalists did articles ridiculing fans who didnt like sga or sg1? did BW ever go after a journalist for giving a poor review of sga or sg1? were there this many people giving 5/10 star reviews for shows that havent even aired?

SGU has brought out the worst in fandom and all aspects of the franchise its like life immitating the show.

T

Tanith

Just my input. I think that you sometimes look too much into things when there is nothing to find or a hidden meaning behind it.

T

Tanith

Try taking off your sgu coloured glasses and viewing the real world some time.
Comparing it to a real life issue: Its like those people who think the first moon landing never happened and that it was recorded in a television studio.

If you always try and find hidden reasons behind things your a conspiracy theorist even though a lot of the time what you see is what it actually is.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Just my input. I think that you sometimes look too much into things when there is nothing to find or a hidden meaning behind it.

Sure people do. Is it a bit extreme sometimes? I think so yeah. Is it understandable sometimes, I think so as well. It's just a symptom of the overall problem however. The actions of all parties involved, be it TPTB (all of them inc actors), the pro groups, the anti groups, or the mindless twats who have nothing invested in the franchise but want to comment anyway have all damaged the shows and the fanbase. My fear is however that too much damage has been done for any side to extend the hand of peace (let alone friendship). People like yourself, EvilSpaceAlien and so on (who can actually be spoken to and reasoned with) give me some hope, but I fear that this hope is pretty faded by this stage.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Comparing it to a real life issue: Its like those people who think the first moon landing never happened and that it was recorded in a television studio.

If you always try and find hidden reasons behind things your a conspiracy theorist even though a lot of the time what you see is what it actually is.

Well considering alot of the things which "appear" to be the case with SGU, I'm not sure which is more frightening - the thought that TPTB are steering a ship into a stonking, great ice berg (for our own benefit? for reasons to which we are not privvy?), or that TPTB may be entirely incompetent fools with no humility or perception of their own folly/fanbase opinion who are steering a rudderless ship into a stonking, great ice berg. I don't buy into many conspiracy theories but denying the possibility outright that one may exist is akin to sticking one's head in the sand/one's arse.

Lilith

GateFans Noob
Good Point!

SGU has brought out the worst in fandom and all aspects of the franchise its like life immitating the show.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps we are the wrong audience but we are the paying audience. It's hard to believe that any marketer worth his salt would ignore the built in fan base related to Star Gate to try to create an entirely new one with a show that is mediocore at best.

We have become the nanny nation with warning labels for the dumbest things. That's what Stargate is now for the uninformed, brain on vacation generation who is only into self gratification, can't see the forest for the trees.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

SGU has brought out the worst in fandom and all aspects of the franchise its like life immitating the show.

Perhaps we are the wrong audience but we are the paying audience. It's hard to believe that any marketer worth his salt would ignore the built in fan base related to Star Gate to try to create an entirely new one with a show that is mediocore at best.

We have become the nanny nation with warning labels for the dumbest things. That's what Stargate is now for the uninformed, brain on vacation generation who is only into self gratification, can't see the forest for the trees.

The laughable thing is that TPTB were actually RELYING on us for the majority of their ratings & in our absence & their utter humiliation they scorn us & seem to categorise anybody who doesn't like the show as a fringe, lunatic, basement-dwelling "SGA fan".

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

The laughable thing is that TPTB were actually RELYING on us for the majority of their ratings & in our absence & their utter humiliation they scorn us & seem to categorise anybody who doesn't like the show as a fringe, lunatic, basement-dwelling "SGA fan".

sad to say that seems to be the way things are now on any topic...anyone who disagrees with you is called "the lunatic fringe". too many children-pretending-to-be-adults get pissie when you argue with them and resort to name-calling...that is because they don't have a valid argument and know it! ;)

and yes, sgpoo sucks! :sgufan:

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

sad to say that seems to be the way things are now on any topic...anyone who disagrees with you is called "the lunatic fringe". too many children-pretending-to-be-adults get pissie when you argue with them and resort to name-calling...that is because they don't have a valid argument and know it! ;)

and yes, sgpoo sucks! :sgufan:

I know, it's like a grown up (an SG-1/SGA fan) having an argument about what makes a good SG/sci-fi show & the argument going something along the lines of this.

Robbie_Rocket_Pants: For a show to truly achieve acclaim it has to be recognised by critics & the primary, big name Television Award givers such as the Emmys.

Joseph Mallozzi: Yeah......... well.............. Your Mother stinks of fish! So suck on that SGA fan.