VW Screwed

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This gas smell thing has me parking it farther from my house . I hope it melts itself into a puddle ...

do you have good ins coverage? there is always that "random accident" where a ill-thrown match or cig/cigar meets up with the random car leaking gas... :)

Are there any mechanics on this forum ? I now have raw gas odour coming inside the car . 42,000 klms/26,000 miles . Both my wife and I could smell it . I had filled the car a week earlier so it was not a fill spill . I went on the hyundie forums and they are saying I have to pull the plugs , regap them and put them back in . ! That makes no sense to me . Why are they not gapped correctly from the factory ? Why should I as a customer have to crawl under my hood and pull the plugs out to see if there gapped correctly . How would spark plug gap create a raw fuel smell ? Would not the techincian see that when he hooks into the diagnostic and later give me a friggin bill for $400 having done who the hell knows what ? Should the diagnostic not tell him the car is running rich or lean ? F%#k I hate this car . Every month iit's something new . It would not start the other day . I turned the key and nothing . Not even a light on the dash . Tried 4 times and still nothing so I took the key out , opened the drivers door , stuck the key back in , closed the door and then it started . WTF eh ! This gas smell thing has me parking it farther from my house . I hope it melts itself into a puddle ... ... ... Also a few times after it has started , it stalls right away . Hearing really bad things about this specific engine in general . 1.8 litre .

Seriously though

I am not a mech so can't help there. anyway you can clean it up a bit and trade it? or do you owe more then its worth?

are there no consumer protections in canada where you could demand the dealer fix this for free or give you a replacement? Even if they traded you a used one with similar mileage and no issues,it would surely be better then what you are dealing with
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
but here is the "real thing"--though no one would ever be able to prove it--where it was made/what market it was destined for can have a lot to do with your issues
korean companies are notorious for making higher standard products (better quality control on the assembly line, better inspections, what would pass for the US market would pass for another nation's market,etc) for foreign nations and sub standard for their own ppl and nations that do not have the same standards

in korea, there are major problems with vehicles-they are rare but when they occur it is a clear case of QC shortcutting/poor materials or workmanship. they do this because korea has little to no consumer protections in place

and remember i say this as a person who loves korean culture--their culture not what they have adopted--and married to a woman from korea

You are in Canada,yes? Where was the car manufactured?

Canada, US, south korea or other?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
t sounds simple and may not be the problem, but check the seals around your filler cap and made sure it is intact and the cap is all the way screwed on

yes!!!!

i read this on a forum for VIBE owners (they bore the pontiac brand but were really toyotas)

ppl were getting strong gas smells and it was usually because of things like not tight enough cap, cap and/or neck had bad threads (neck is usually metal with plastic threads duh!!!) or even small crack in the cap can trigger the computer to do some kind of "scent loop" of gas to tell you that there is an issue-i

appears it wasn't intended to do this, but the actual alarm method--slow accl, hesitation,etc--used odor

it could be very well that hyundai shares this toyota idea

have you (trip) tried a diff cap?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Good points guys and thanks for the responses . Next time I have it in for service I will get them to look it over but with every other time I have had it in for something they tell me it's fine or that I have to get used to it . I really enjoyed my 2011 Elantra Touring but this p o s elantrash gt is a friggen headache of steadily growing issues and there seems to be more to come from what I am reading on the forums . It was rated one of the top 10 worst cars in Canada . It also won Beware of This Clunker Award at Car Complaints .com .
Yah , we owe to much to sell the pos to not have a huge loss .

:( :( :(

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
WTF POS ... My 2013 Elantrash won't start again . Third friggin time now . Here is a list of this problem that others have already gone through with this POS . Hungdie still says there is nothing wrong with there great little car ... Wow is all I can keep saying ,,, just @#$%ing wow . You lying SOB's MF"S ... I don't need this stress with a vehicle with 22,000 miles on it . No one deserves that when buying a new vehicle ... This is my third winter with the POS ...

:cylon-pancarte04::cylon-pancarte04::cylon-pancarte04:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/Elantra/2013/electrical/engine_wont_turnover_wont_start.shtml

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
WTF POS ... My 2013 Elantrash won't start again . Third friggin time now . Here is a list of this problem that others have already gone through with this POS . Hungdie still says there is nothing wrong with there great little car ... Wow is all I can keep saying ,,, just @#$%ing wow . You lying SOB's MF"S ... I don't need this stress with a vehicle with 22,000 miles on it . No one deserves that when buying a new vehicle ... This is my third winter with the POS ...

:cylon-pancarte04::cylon-pancarte04::cylon-pancarte04:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/Elantra/2013/electrical/engine_wont_turnover_wont_start.shtml

Have you considered suing the dealer?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Have you considered suing the dealer?
I have reported the dealer 2 years ago (just as I started my arbitration) to Hyundai Canada Head Office and as usual they tell me that I am the only one having any problems with this car or the dealership . No other complaints have come into there office . They are the biggest liars . Obviously there parents raised scum of the earth dirt bags and they all attended The College OF Snake Oil Sales Extreme Ripoff Artist Training Course with credits for telling the best lies each morning in front of the whole class . Also extra credits for having talked someone into coming back and buy a second vehicle from you by removing all the features you loved in the first car and adding useless bling to hide all the imperfections and also use the most cheapest components that will barely pass the Highway Act .
Bitter ! ,,, nah ,,,not me !!! It's all just my imagination running wild obviously . It's an award winning car after all . Did you know they pay the Media to say things like that about there vehicles ? Even when they announce a car of the year . It's who gives the bigger paycheck . A Toronto Star auto reporter confessed that a few years back . I will try and find the article .
PS . Have I mentioned how much I do not like or trust this car ! Hmmmm ...
I can find 3 things I do like about the pos tho. The stereo is kick ass , the steering wheel is well laid out and comfortable to hold , the panoramic roof , but that thing leaks so maybe just 2 things . Oh ,,, the automatic stick shift . You just put it in drive . No H,L or 1 2 3 settings so it makes it easy to move forward . That's if the transmission decides to play right and not downshift for no reason or slip going up a hill or stop the car for you by itself or give you horrible gas mileage .

;) ;) ;)

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Audi is owned by VW, I worked in an Audi dealership for years and worked directly with VW credit. How come all I hear about is the VW side of it? What about the Audi's? And what about the others they own?

Volkswagen owns: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, and overseas-brands SEAT and Skoda.

Which btw, I kinda would still kill for an Audi 8 convertible if anyone wants to ditch theirs. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Audi is owned by VW, I worked in an Audi dealership for years and worked directly with VW credit. How come all I hear about is the VW side of it? What about the Audi's? And what about the others they own?

Volkswagen owns: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, and overseas-brands SEAT and Skoda.

Which btw, I kinda would still kill for an Audi 8 convertible if anyone wants to ditch theirs. :icon_lol:

All of them were hit except Bentley, Bugatti and Lamborghini. Porsche, Audi, some SEAT and Skoda vehicles were hit with violations.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Ah, but I bet most people wouldn't even know it. I never heard a peep on BBC news about Skoda or SEAT.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Last I heard was that no diesel VW vehicle will be sold in North America anymore . The reason they fudged the numbers in the first place was because North American Diesel Oil was not as refined as European oil so North American cars would never pass emissions here .

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I still see Skoda, SEAT and Audio over here. Maybe it's just Northern Ireland. It is possible, they also just don't care. They have a thick skin for some things over here.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Last I heard was that no diesel VW vehicle will be sold in North America anymore . The reason they fudged the numbers in the first place was because North American Diesel Oil was not as refined as European oil so North American cars would never pass emissions here .

That is the problem right there. The US regulations placed on diesel powered vehicles was the motivation for cheating.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I still see Skoda, SEAT and Audio over here. Maybe it's just Northern Ireland. It is possible, they also just don't care. They have a thick skin for some things over here.
Euro Oil is cleaner than America so you will still have VW/Audi?Skoda deisel sales