Stargate Command lives on in virtual reality! That, and more.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just went through the stargate at the SGC and visited Atlantis, walked around and checked out things from the balcony where you can look down and see the city, then I went back through the stargate and visited Abydos, where I checked out the room where Sha'reh was taken, and where the people of Abydos were huddled around the stargate. Of course, they weren't there but the place was. And I even went outside into the desert and looked back to see I had been inside a pyramid, complete with the two obelisks flanking the ramp to the entrance. After that, I came back to the SGC, went into the briefing room where the large war table was that was used for the briefings given by General Hammond to SG-1.

SGC.PNG

Dial.PNG

Atlantis.PNG

VR is incredible! The person who made this Stargate Command environment is a true fan. The detail on the stargate is incredible, and the sounds are true to the show. The chevrons light up, the blast doors at the SGC and also Atlantis open and close, and you can do a limited exploration of the SGC facility as well as Atlantis. The work is incomplete, as there is no whoosh when the stargate opens, but the event horizon shows.You dial the locations available, and then go up to the stargate and stick your head through and voila, you are there. You can turn around and watch the connection close. On Atlantis, you can go into Weir's office, and there is a dead ZPM and also a live one, and you can pick either of them up and turn it around in your hands.

You are not just looking at a flat image, you are IN the control room at Atlantis. You are IN the SGC. The experience is that of being in the actual facility. You can look up at the ceiling, stoop down and go under the stairs and use buttons to open the doors, etc. The sounds are also directional. This environment is set up so that anyone can join you in there if you share the room and make it public. You could conceivably form an SG team and go to the two places provided, or just use the briefing room to meet and talk (if your mic is on).

WOW!

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Sounds pretty cool. The beginnings of a real adventure game. Hope it will be massively expanded.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sounds pretty cool. The beginnings of a real adventure game. Hope it will be massively expanded.

Yeah, the environment is basically empty of any people unless you invite friends there. But to be able to explore the SGC in virtual reality is like being there. You can walk through the corridors and go up stairs and push switches which bring the blast doors down (but no Iris!). I thought it was neat to be able to travel to Atlantis too. The execution is great.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I should add that this SGC/Atlantis/Abydos VR environment is on Steam VR which means that any PCVR headset can access it and meet with others in there. If any of you decide to make the plunge, please let me know! I am OvermindOne in Steam.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
hey, you should start a thread on this at gateworld!!

now that would put some grit in their craw over there! :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There is a movie watching/sharing app called Bigscreen VR which is a VR theater (like a movie theater), and you can play your own content and invite others into the theater to watch with you. :) You can make the viewings private and invite only people you want to be in the theater, or make them public.
hey, you should start a thread on this at gateworld!!

now that would put some grit in their craw over there! :)

I see you still have your great sense of humor! :jack_new27: Gateworld is just not my cuppa. But, this place could use some sprucing up and more traffic. I just noticed the smilies are futzed in the bottom.

About the topic, I actually have a great way to capture gameplay which means I can publish videos. Considering how much time I have been spending in VR, I might as well capture some of it! The SGC environment just screams cosplay to me. You could play out a whole story in there. You could meet a bunch of people in there and chat. Whoever made it put lot of work into it. It isn't a game, so you can't have a shooting war with Goa'uld or kill anyone in there. For me, the experience of being IN the facility is unlike any Stargate game I have ever played. Actually I only played Stargate SG-1: Unleashed:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I see you still have your great sense of humor!

hey it could be great fun!

just imagine the post:

"well, guess that gatefans has to come over to keep gateworld informed on stargate topics"

but knowing how some of them are, they'd come here and start blitzing the place..so soon after spring cleaning too

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
hey it could be great fun!

just imagine the post:

"well, guess that gatefans has to come over to keep gateworld informed on stargate topics"

but knowing how some of them are, they'd come here and start blitzing the place..so soon after spring cleaning too

:) Might be fun to rub them....my name over there is not Overmind One.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
More Stargate Command goodness! So, I wanted to visit Atlantis this morning so I jumped into the SGC like I have for the last couple of days, and I notice a biometric hand reader on the control panel. I put my virtual hand on it, and voila! The Stargate iris closed! So, it does have an iris! Of course, I knew there would have to be an iris on the Atlantis stargate, so I dialed Atlantis and walked up to the control room panel and started pushing controls, and then BAM! The Atlantis iris shield activated!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Link to the project and it's status here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1128839828

It appears to no longer be in development, and the guy who made it has not made the source available...yet. Still, what exists of it has great possibilities. In Steam VR you can set it as your Home, and you can place furniture in any of the three locations the gate goes. Weir's office on Atlantis is completely unfurnished, so you can furnish it and save the environment.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It's completely unrelated to anything you have seen. :)

do you ever post there?

do you know if the founders of GW have active accts there they post under? what are the names?

do you know their 'activity level (i dont know what you call it, traffic?)' over there vs here?

i know they get a lot of new members but i dont see a lot of diversity in the user names of people posting

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
do you ever post there?

do you know if the founders of GW have active accts there they post under? what are the names?

do you know their 'activity level (i dont know what you call it, traffic?)' over there vs here?

i know they get a lot of new members but i dont see a lot of diversity in the user names of people posting

I don't know anything about their traffic, but I do know that the vast majority of their posts are from before Stargate was canceled. They are still spreading themselves into other areas of discussion like we have been doing here for a few years...wow...years have passed. We are coming up on 10 YEARS online as GateFans already!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
like i said before, i just use it for a few shows that none of you dull beans here seem to like :)

stuff like GLITCH and VAN HELSING ,etc

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Check here :). Looks to be the best stargate game ever made.

Here is david hewitt's feedback on it.

https://www.stargate-network.net/en/3366

I have this in VR. It isn't a game so much as an environment. You can walk through the SGC, take the gate to either Atlantis or Abydos, and walk around a bit in both places. Atlantis's gate has the shield iris, and the control panels work. You can go out on the balcony and see the rest of the city below. On Abydos, you can go outside the pyramid and look back and see it full sized.