Star Trek: The Orville

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Why don't you just go to Fox online and watch it there? That is how I watch it every week. And I don't pay anything. They give me an hour long "Preview Pass" which allows me to watch the episode for free on my browser in HD. I download all of the episodes from elsewhere anyway, but I do like to watch it on the day it comes out.

because i am not going to sit and watch stuff on this little laptop when i can watch it in my tv

probably NOT going to keep YT TV after GOTHAM is done anyhow.. i have gotten so used to streaming and watching live news through standard YT that I see no reason to have a service where its primary existence is for live tv

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Just wait YJ, the episode to come take the show to a whole new level and change some fundamental assumptions.

got all the way through ep 10 just now

the new alliance formed? on one hand i like it---making the feared and scary looking aliens potential allies. but on the other hand it is kind of a trope device

and the Cylons..err...Kaylons :)

i got to point it out... i got a lot of crap yrs ago on here (by members who are no longer here) by supporting BSG. some of the very reasons that happened was for my backing up the cylons developing self awareness and consciousness

their slavery, rebellion and war against humanity

this story line was basically the same thing--they even had Kaylon Primary use that very line "we were enslaved..they installed pain inducers into our neural network...we gained self awareness and consciousnesses and we rebelled and killed our creators"

it is the same story!

and, i am sure we will see them return

also, now that we have seen what Isaac can do with his appearance, how long till we get a mobile holographic (the krill have one) emitter for him to maintain that appearance through the whole ship?

i think that would be a good thing.. the 'robot in the tinfoil suit' thing (Was he designed with such 'cheap' appearance on purpose? so we want to see him as a humanoid all the time?) is getting a bit old.

anyhow-so far s1 till now, i would still say this show is like a 9 out of 10--easily

how many eps are in s2?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
There are similarities but also crucial differences between the Kaylons and the NuBSG Cylons. For one, the Kaylons want to exterminate all biological life. Also their detente with the Krill at present is more in the camp of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".

The great part of all this is the character work done earlier made things like ISAACs seeming turn have impact. This was also the payoff to stuff MacFarlane had been laying the groundwork for since the series premiere.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
because i am not going to sit and watch stuff on this little laptop when i can watch it in my tv

probably NOT going to keep YT TV after GOTHAM is done anyhow.. i have gotten so used to streaming and watching live news through standard YT that I see no reason to have a service where its primary existence is for live tv

I am watching it on my TV. :) My computer is connected to my monitor AND my big TV so I can sit in front of my TV and open the browser and watch it on the TV or my monitor or both.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
For one, the Kaylons want to exterminate all biological life.

the first rebellious cylons wanted the same. it was the arrival of the other cylons that tempered that desire

but this is all old stuff and not a discussion i want to get into

was just pointing out that me and a few other members (who also no longer come here) got a lot of grief over the very same 'reasons to rebel/awakening of consciousness in a machine' issue that was used in both shows

"BSG is dead..long live BSG!"

have a nice day :) :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I was suggesting that you do the same. Just connect your laptop with HDMI.

My laptop and tv are about 30ft apart

thanks for the advice (really) but i am content with what i have set up

and, if it were not for the trial of YT tv, i would have just waited for these shows to pop on amz prime

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
the first rebellious cylons wanted the same. it was the arrival of the other cylons that tempered that desire

but this is all old stuff and not a discussion i want to get into

was just pointing out that me and a few other members (who also no longer come here) got a lot of grief over the very same 'reasons to rebel/awakening of consciousness in a machine' issue that was used in both shows

"BSG is dead..long live BSG!"

have a nice day :) :)

To be honest, I wish they had made the Kaelons in The Orville less powerful and advanced. They are quite formidable. The force they brought with them from Kaelon was what they thought they needed to wipe out earth. I have to watch it again to see how long it took them to build those ships, but it seemed like it was just a few days. They could easily increase the force. But they also showed us that they are vulnerable to EM pulses. The Krill have formidable weapons, which seem as powerful as the Kaelons only the Krill make more clever use of them. Their ships are maneuverable too. ISAAC will be a key factor when dealing with them.