Star Trek: The Orville

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Orville is the new Star Trek. Yep, no doubt about it. For all those years we went without Star Trek between Nemesis and the TV series Enterprise to the creation of the first non-Star Trek movie in 2009 from Abrams, Star Trek fans have gone without the show they love. This obviously includes our super-fan Seth McFarlane. And Seth has brought us Star Trek in a way most Star Trek fans did not expect, but we definitely appreciate.

Long live Star Trek: The Orville!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I'm re-watching The Orville right now! Love it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Does anyone notice just how bright and crisp and pleasant the Orville is inside? It feels even more airy and bright than the Enterprise-D

Mercer's office

8lyhel9x7ioz.png

The Mess Hall

099_Mess+Hall+7.jpg

Sick Bay. Notice how Orville's sick bay has windows? I cannot recall ANY starship Sick Bay in Star Trek that had windows facing space.

099_Sick+Bay+2.jpg

Engineering. This show has not gone into the tech they use much. Not much background on any of it except the one episode in Season 1 with the super aging. But it still looks like an engine room.

Orville-Ep107_Sc43-RM_0220_hires2.jpg

Bridge consoles.

orvilleset-consoles.jpg

The Bar

orville-bar.jpg

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just off the top of my head, Picard's Enterprise had windows in the meeting room and Voyager had windows in Ten Forward.

I should have specified Sick Bay. :) That was what I was referring to (changing original post). Every Federation starship I ever saw on paper or in the series has had a windowless Sick Bay. The reason for that was because in the advanced Navy ships of the 1960s, the Sick Bay would ideally be in a protected part of the ship like the center, mid-level deck. Hospital ships used this strategy too. This was carried over into the design of the TOS Enterprise. Every Federation starship shows us a windowless Sick Bay. This is refreshing to see windows in the Sick Bay on Orville. :)

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Something else I love about this show is that the Orville is NOT the flagship. It isn't even the most advanced or the most powerful Union ship. In this picture, the Orville is the smaller ship on the right:

planetary_union_ships.jpg

This means that we will never have to have the Orville saving earth, or it's crew being fawned over by the entire Planetary Union because they saved the Union....again....this year. I got tired of that in TNG and the TOS movies. It is amazing how rewatchable this series is! I rewatched all of Season 1 too. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Check this out !

Seth is and was and will always be a true Trekkie. I wonder how old he was when he did that? Seth has done what many Trekkies could only dream of...create a NEW Star Trek. Perhaps even a better one.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Seth is and was and will always be a true Trekkie. I wonder how old he was when he did that? Seth has done what many Trekkies could only dream of...create a NEW Star Trek. Perhaps even a better one.

Good point. In a way The Orville is the ultimate Trek fanfiction.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Episode 10 "The Blood of Patriots" to me marks The Orville's full immersion in the realm of scifi television in the spirit of Star Trek. The balance they have achieved in the show is a wonderfully unique balance of genuine good storytelling, story threads, drama and action. They have defined the Krill, and they have mastered the character development of guest characters in each episode, while having fleshed out most of the crew characters. It has replaced the "trek receptions" in my brain with Orville receptors. :)

Great episode.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It was also cool how they opened with Yaphit being decorated.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It was also cool how they opened with Yaphit being decorated.

They have dialed the outright comedy WAY back, without eliminating this. What they do in this show is firmly rooted in the structure of what we know of as Star Trek, but this show has made that structure it's own in a way that makes me think of it less as an homage to Star Trek as a new scifi show in space as a separate property. I am loving it. Wondering why there is not yet a Season 3 announcement.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yes! An entertaining episode. It was rather predictable that the guy was gonna turn out to be the bad one. It was also predictable that the "daughter" was going to be the weapon, I thought of that early on the first time they said they hadn't found any weapons on board the shuttle. But still they made it surprising in a way. I liked the scene when Gordon had to abandon the shuttle and literally step into space. Also liked how they cemented the friendship between Ed and Gordon further by this whole ordeal.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This episode felt inspired by the TNG episode “The Wounded”.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Look at it this way; Seth MacFarlane succeeded in creating a character we care about that is basically an animated blob with no face just a mouth. THAT is good writing.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i go a trial of youtube tv (its ok, much easier to sue then other live tv i have tried out though streamers)

you can watch live or on demand

i have been watching s2 on demand

still really like this show, probably even better then s1

just got done with the episode where the Dr and Isaac date and Bortus' mustache!!

this episode, while dealing with some important and serious issues was very funny at the same time

i would still like it if it were not funny, the comedy just makes it even better

---------------------------
something i came across while listening to the voice of one character

without looking it up (yeah i know you'll look anyhow) do you know who this show and EXPANSE have in common when it comes to sharing a actor? as in what character in each show or the actor?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Just wait YJ, the episode to come take the show to a whole new level and change some fundamental assumptions.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i go a trial of youtube tv (its ok, much easier to sue then other live tv i have tried out though streamers)

you can watch live or on demand

i have been watching s2 on demand

still really like this show, probably even better then s1

just got done with the episode where the Dr and Isaac date and Bortus' mustache!!

this episode, while dealing with some important and serious issues was very funny at the same time

i would still like it if it were not funny, the comedy just makes it even better

---------------------------
something i came across while listening to the voice of one character

without looking it up (yeah i know you'll look anyhow) do you know who this show and EXPANSE have in common when it comes to sharing a actor? as in what character in each show or the actor?

Why don't you just go to Fox online and watch it there? That is how I watch it every week. And I don't pay anything. They give me an hour long "Preview Pass" which allows me to watch the episode for free on my browser in HD. I download all of the episodes from elsewhere anyway, but I do like to watch it on the day it comes out.