Samsung bashing iPhone again for Galaxy S4...but they can!

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
IOS 7 making Apple fanbois sick

The zoom animations everywhere on the new iOS 7 are literally making me nauseous and giving me a headache. It's exactly how I used to get car sick if I tried to read in the car.
How do I turn them off? Do I have to revert to 6?

iPhone 4

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5322295?start=0&tstart=0

I helped a couple of my buddies fix their iPhone problems using a tool called "the trash can" and another called "android smartphone".

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

B

Backstep

I helped a couple of my buddies fix their iPhone problems using a tool called "the trash can" and another called "android smartphone".

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

:icon_rotflmao::SmileyLaughingTears::smiley-laughing024:

I went with the second option. The only good point of the IPhone 5 I had was, the trade in payed for the GS 4.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:icon_rotflmao::SmileyLaughingTears::smiley-laughing024:

I went with the second option. The only good point of the IPhone 5 I had was, the trade in payed for the GS 4.

iOS7 makes the battery life in the iPhone 4, 5 and iPhone 4S drain very rapidly. In some cases less than 2 hours.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/ios-7-problems/

First of all, you cant revert or downgrade it once upgraded. Second, just to get battery life back to where it was in iOS6, iPhone 4, 5 and 4S owners have to do stuff like this:

• [*]Potential solutions:
    [*]Some people have had success by removing an apostrophe from the iPhone name. If your iPhone is called something like “John’s iPhone” then this might work. Go to Settings > General > About > Name and change it to something with no apostrophe.
    [*]Some people have reported success by putting the iPhone into Airplane mode and then going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings, but the problem may return.
    [*]You could also try going to Settings > Control Center and disable Access on Lock Screen then turn your iPhone off and on again.
    [*]Make sure that your router firmware is up to date.
    [*]Try backing up your iPhone and then restoring it. Check how to factory reset an iPhone for details.
    [*]If nothing is working for you, try contacting Apple or take your iPhone into an Apple Store.
:SmileyLaughingTears: I think users should just tap into the dynamo created by Steve Jobs spinning in his grave to get more power for their weak, ill-thought out little iPhones. Steve would never have unleashed this iOS version with such glaring flaws. And to me, the end result of iOS 7 looks like a desperate attempt at playing catch up to Android. There are some neat transitions and animations, but the original flaws of the phone are still there. Each new iteration of iOS on the iPhone just shows them following Android and playing catch up. Not good for a cellular device which depends more on it's brand name than anything else it can offer. Its the Abercrombie & Fitch of cell phones. ;)

Meanwhile back in the Galaxy world, people are still loving their Galaxy S3 and S4 phones (myself included), and seeing INCREDIBLE battery life. Yesterday, I left my charger at home and my spare battery in the car and was in the office all day...at the end of 8 hours, I still had 34% left even though I was using the phone all day. :)

Bluce Ree

iOS7 makes the battery life in the iPhone 4, 5 and iPhone 4S drain very rapidly. In some cases less than 2 hours.

First of all, you cant revert or downgrade it once upgraded. Second, just to get battery life back to where it was in iOS6, iPhone 4, 5 and 4S owners have to do stuff like this:
:SmileyLaughingTears: I think users should just tap into the dynamo created by Steve Jobs spinning in his grave to get more power for their weak, ill-thought out little iPhones. Steve would never have unleashed this iOS version with such glaring flaws. And to me, the end result of iOS 7 looks like a desperate attempt at playing catch up to Android. There are some neat transitions and animations, but the original flaws of the phone are still there. Each new iteration of iOS on the iPhone just shows them following Android and playing catch up. Not good for a cellular device which depends more on it's brand name than anything else it can offer. Its the Abercrombie & Fitch of cell phones. ;)

Meanwhile back in the Galaxy world, people are still loving their Galaxy S3 and S4 phones (myself included), and seeing INCREDIBLE battery life. Yesterday, I left my charger at home and my spare battery in the car and was in the office all day...at the end of 8 hours, I still had 34% left even though I was using the phone all day. :)

Not bad for a stock or stock-based custom rom. I dispensed with stock-based roms and went full custom using ParanoidAndroid. After about 14 hours, I'm left with a little over 50%. :D

B

Backstep

I usually get 2 days off a charge on my GS 4. Granted I'm not as active as you, this is still better than the IPhone 5 i had by a day doing the same I have with the GS 4.
I have a dual band AC router the GS 4 uses the high band AC, so besides being lighting fast the WIFI uses little battery. Yes I'm pleased with the switch.

B

Backstep

Not bad for a stock or stock-based custom rom. I dispensed with stock-based roms and went full custom using ParanoidAndroid. After about 14 hours, I'm left with a little over 50%. :D

I'm using the stock UI, to afraid I will brick the phone to try and rout.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

He is referring to the ROM, not the UI. :) You can safely dump TouchWiz for say...NextLauncher or GoLauncher and they can be installed from the Play store. But I have a rooted phone which means I can change the actual operating system kernel (custom ROM). You CAN brick your phone if you use the wrong ROM. Bluce is using a full custom ROM on his rooted GS4, and I am using a custom ROM which is a modified version of the original ROM. If you have no experience rooting, I think you are doing the best thing sticking with the stock phone. :)

B

Backstep

He is referring to the ROM, not the UI. :) You can safely dump TouchWiz for say...NextLauncher or GoLauncher and they can be installed from the Play store. But I have a rooted phone which means I can change the actual operating system kernel (custom ROM). You CAN brick your phone if you use the wrong ROM. Bluce is using a full custom ROM on his rooted GS4, and I am using a custom ROM which is a modified version of the original ROM. If you have no experience rooting, I think you are doing the best thing sticking with the stock phone. :)

I'm old school electronics, I could make, fix and install them but computers evaded me for understanding them. I'm just a basic user. Back in the day as a teen, I could install in your car a killer system :shep_lol:

Bluce Ree

Rooting your phone won't brick it unless you yank your battery during the process. Same goes for loading a custom ROM, so long as you're loading the ROM compiled for your specific model. Loading a ROM for the T-Mobile S4 onto an AT&T S4 may brick it, for example.
--- merged: Sep 26, 2013 at 9:34 PM ---

Yeah! What he said! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So now three of us have a GS4, and I am assuming that we all have upgraded to KitKat? (4.4.2). :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sounds right. I'm the oddball with my old HTC. Probably will be getting a new Moto shortly,rooting and flashing it with an AOSP ROM.

Bluce Ree

I tried flashing a few custom ROMs for the T-Mobile S4 but there's just no joy. They're not very actively developed and there aren't many choices. The focus seems to be mostly on the international variants of the Galaxy phones.

I put back the stock ROM and simply rooted it. At least they updated to KitKat 4.4.2.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I tried flashing a few custom ROMs for the T-Mobile S4 but there's just no joy. They're not very actively developed and there aren't many choices. The focus seems to be mostly on the international variants of the Galaxy phones.

I put back the stock ROM and simply rooted it. At least they updated to KitKat 4.4.2.

Try the Gummy ROM. :)

http://galaxys4root.com/t-mobile-ga...-s4-attt-mobilesprintverizoncanadiangt-i9505/

It even has a cool splash loader. :)

EDIT: Yes, I am using this.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sounds right. I'm the oddball with my old HTC. Probably will be getting a new Moto shortly,rooting and flashing it with an AOSP ROM.

If you are flashing your ROMs, then you are still getting more out of your device than stock. KitKat is cool but not groundbreaking. :)

After doing so much with smartphones over the years, I have decided that I want it to end up being a full fledged Tricorder. :anim_59: The Galaxy S4's IR emitter for controlling TVs and BluRay devices is incredible. You dont need your other remotes. The 13mp full HD camera is superior to most consumer digital cameras in both photo and video mode, and resolution is superior to all iPhones by a large margin. Retina be damned. :).

Which Moto are you thinking of getting?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Probably a Moto X.

Bluce Ree

Try the Gummy ROM. :)

http://galaxys4root.com/t-mobile-ga...-s4-attt-mobilesprintverizoncanadiangt-i9505/

It even has a cool splash loader. :)

EDIT: Yes, I am using this.

I tried that ROM. It has a list of known issues and a few I found on my own.

One thing I love about T-Mobile is their WiFi calling using UMA (unlicensed mobile access), which is essentially using your T-Mobile network over wifi in low signal zones or even when out of country. For me, this is fantastic give that I am able to continue using my phone without roaming out of the country anywhere I have wifi. You are getting your full T-Mobile service over wifi, including text.

If there was some way to preserve T-Mobile's UMA in custom ROMs it would be fantastic. Unfortunately, this is not something T-Mobile will simply put out in the open because it involves accessing the SIM directly for authorizing access to T-Mobile's network over the Internet.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I tried that ROM. It has a list of known issues and a few I found on my own.

One thing I love about T-Mobile is their WiFi calling using UMA (unlicensed mobile access), which is essentially using your T-Mobile network over wifi in low signal zones or even when out of country. For me, this is fantastic give that I am able to continue using my phone without roaming out of the country anywhere I have wifi. You are getting your full T-Mobile service over wifi, including text.

If there was some way to preserve T-Mobile's UMA in custom ROMs it would be fantastic. Unfortunately, this is not something T-Mobile will simply put out in the open because it involves accessing the SIM directly for authorizing access to T-Mobile's network over the Internet.

Hip me to any issues you found...I just flashed it last night when I was setting up OwnCloud. I like it so far. But if it has issues, I will just flash it to a rooted stock ROM.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Try Cyanogenmod. I have had good experiences with it and it has all the Google spyware removed as it is a build off of AOSP.

http://www.cyanogenmod.org

Bluce Ree

Hip me to any issues you found...I just flashed it last night when I was setting up OwnCloud. I like it so far. But if it has issues, I will just flash it to a rooted stock ROM.

What they still have listed:

- in-call mute
- HDR camera
- some quicksettings buttons don't always work

I recall bluetooth going all whacky with major feedback in the midst of a phone call. There were a few others that don't come to mind at the moment. I had tried a few others after it.

What's disappointing, though, is that it hasn't been updated since Nov 13th, 2013.