Mallozzi and Mullie out as Transporter Showrunners

SerenityS

GateFans Member
I think showrunning a new show was just too much for M and M. They stepped into a well-oiled machine (Stargate) years ago and never had to deal with the actual work and frustrations of getting something going from the ground up. Just not ready for prime time, dudes. I wonder if Mallozzi may actually have expected it to be a fun jaunt where he could eat and drink and play like he used to do instead of actually working for a living. Just goes to show how much of the SG production was probably being carried by the "little people" of the Stargate "universe."

Inara

GateFans Noob
I think showrunning a new show was just too much for M and M. They stepped into a well-oiled machine (Stargate) years ago and never had to deal with the actual work and frustrations of getting something going from the ground up. Just not ready for prime time, dudes. I wonder if Mallozzi may actually have expected it to be a fun jaunt where he could eat and drink and play like he used to do instead of actually working for a living. Just goes to show how much of the SG production was probably being carried by the "little people" of the Stargate "universe."

I think that's a very valid point. The SG1 was running for three seasons before they joined the staff. It already had the cast, crew, and support staff in place for the day-to-day operations and a lot of them had probably been there from the start. Not to mention someone else had already done all the story setup pre-filming and about 60 scripts worth of developing the show's direction.

Not that running an established show is easy, it's just starting from scratch and working with a new crew (though there's a high probability some worked on at least one SG project after all these years) after so many years in the same workplace seems a lot harder. It's sort of like being the big man on campus, then moving to a new school and not automatically getting the same level of "respect" you're used to.

I've been a bit skeptical of the show's concept from the start, because I'm not sure how well it will translate to the small screen, plus the actor really owns the role. (Is this a good time to mention we really need a drool icon? :icon_e_wink:) At least now if I do decide to watch it, I can do so without feeling like I'm supporting Mallozzi in any way. His attitude towards fans ruined two shows for me; I don't plan on giving him another chance.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I am pretty sure he had a big hissy fit on set or in the writers meetings ,,, He probably threatened to have his dogs attack people if things did not go his way or better yet ,, his dogs were pooping all over the set :ori::ori::ori: so they threw him out !!! :ori::ori::ori:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am pretty sure he had a big hissy fit on set or in the writers meetings ,,, He probably threatened to have his dogs attack people if things did not go his way or better yet ,, his dogs were pooping all over the set :ori::ori::ori: so they threw him out !!! :ori::ori::ori:

I can see that. :) I bet he was going around with that camera and asking people if they wanted to try his goat spleen and fish bladder soup, and ordering fancy $100 chocolates on the company account. And I bet some of those people got sick of seeing his cutesy smiling boiled eggs and home baked Ego cookies made in the shape of his dogs. I would sooooo be sick of that. :facepalm: Here is an example:

p1010574.jpg

I mean....REALLY?

:facepalm:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I can see that. :) I bet he was going around with that camera and asking people if they wanted to try his goat spleen and fish bladder soup, and ordering fancy $100 chocolates on the company account. And I bet some of those people got sick of seeing his cutesy smiling boiled eggs and home baked Ego cookies made in the shape of his dogs. I would sooooo be sick of that. :facepalm: Here is an example:

View attachment 5729

I mean....REALLY?

:facepalm:

What -- is -- it???

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I can sorta maybe guess why Mallozzi is out but wonder why Mullie is out. Was it an all or nothing situation?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Much as I thought some of the concepts stated here were funny (Overmind's is hilarious), I think it more likely that higher ups realized how totally unsuited Mallozzi and gang were to head up a high octane action series (Watch SGU and Transporter side by side and it becomes clear).

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Much as I thought some of the concepts stated here were funny (Overmind's is hilarious), I think it more likely that higher ups realized how totally unsuited Mallozzi and gang were to head up a high octane action series (Watch SGU and Transporter side by side and it becomes clear).

Dunno Joelist.........
M&M can do Action/Adventure, yet they are NOT used to having to rewrite everything or make it "just so", nor are they used to a "story Bible". In this instance I posit that it was more the "fast and loose" writing of SG1/SGA that they had become used to dragging them down more than anything else. If you read his blog, you can glean some of Joe's "annoyance" with having to do this pretty much every day. Of course, that's just MY perception. :P

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
As Stargate was already an established franchise, I believe they were given a lot of leeway and creative freedom for that show and the subsequent spin-offs.

However, as Transporter is a new thing, they don't have that kind of freedom at their fingertips anymore. I suspect that more network and studio control over things than they were perhaps used to may have chafed more than a little bit, and their leaving the show is the result.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Ah, but Transporter is not a new thing.

There are three films in the Transporter series, and very specific concinuity regarding the tone of the films and the character of Frank Martin. It is definitely high octane action and Martin is the central figure. And that tone is definitely not Mallozzi style.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ah, but Transporter is not a new thing.

There are three films in the Transporter series, and very specific concinuity regarding the tone of the films and the character of Frank Martin. It is definitely high octane action and Martin is the central figure. And that tone is definitely not Mallozzi style.

No, it's not a new concept, "Smokey and the Bandit" thrived under the concept of getting A to B in a certain time frame, as did Johnny Menomic. The Style however is sorta "up JM's ally" as it functions under a lead with support characters, and SGA was very much that at times.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Perhaps.

I have to admit that I just could not picture Mallozzi and company properly bringing Frank Martin (with his rules and the kind of ruthlessness he displays) to life properly. Then again who knows?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I was referring to Transporter as a tv show. I am quite aware of the movies. My point is that when they got the keys to Cheyenne Montain, so to speak, for Stargate, it was an established and successful show. That isn't the case for a tv version of Transporter, which has certain limitations of what can and cannot be done on tv, plus a much smaller budget than a major motion picture. With Stargate, things weren't iffy. With Transporter the TV Series, the word iffy is all over it.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Universe is coming back to haunt him. Karma's a bitch!

Though to be fair on mallozzi, he did write some great episode(Window of Opportunity being one). I wouldn't have mind seeing how his script plays out, seeing how this was meant to have some humour