Is it just me, or does Ascension sound like another bout of Soap-Fi?

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
You can upload them here if you want, there are no space limitations. :) I have upload maxed at 96MB per upload. But there are other GateFans resources to upload several gigabytes if needed.

It will be an interesting few weeks after Skiffy shuts down, trying to save and sort out all the gold from that which is just pewter. At this stage I am in no mood to accidentally delete anything so I am going to be slow and serene with any files that I find on my various usbs and hard drives.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It will be an interesting few weeks after Skiffy shuts down, trying to save and sort out all the gold from that which is just pewter. At this stage I am in no mood to accidentally delete anything so I am going to be slow and serene with any files that I find on my various usbs and hard drives.

I wonder how those who went to Gateworld are faring? As you know, a Stargate reboot is on the horizon which will come from Emmerich and Devlin and it will not have anything to do with the SG series made by Brad Wright (or will it?). The studio may force them to acknowledge some of it. Just rumors...

pakar

GateFans Noob
Do you know that Ascension has a 7.2 rating on imdb? and not only that, most people on gateworld and other forums (eg, sffchronicles) support this even passionately!!

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Do you know that Ascension has a 7.2 rating on imdb? and not only that, most people on gateworld and other forums (eg, sffchronicles) support this even passionately!!

Really !!! ... that makes no sense as the thing was pure garbage entertainment .

Dreadful

:sour::sour::sour:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
IMDB is not trustworthy and hasn't been for years. It is notoriously susceptible to people getting together to "gang vote" stuff up/down.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

You will find at this forum we appreciate the truth, and the truth is Ascension is a turd. A big steaming turd. Seriously, it's not just bad, it's very bad. For people on other sites to claim that they like this pile of putrid excrement is for them to publicly declare that they are idiots that happily gobble down the festering shit that SyFy spoon feeds them. It's also an indictment of their claim to be science fiction fans. They aren't. They're liars; self-deluded liars. And morons, they're also morons, let's not forget that.

The fact is Ascension is not science fiction. Even the premise of sequestering people in an isolated environment isn't science fiction. Where is the futuristic technology being employed in this endeavor? There isn't any. They just stuck a bunch of people in a big, fancy hotel and told them they are in space. That's not science fiction, rather, it's just lame. The supposed "scifi" setting is merely being used as a vehicle for the presentation of bad melodrama. This is called "soapfi". We don't like soapfi here at Gatefans.

And don't even get me going about the "magic child with super powers" gimmick they used. That's definitely not science fiction. It's simply crap -- cheap, lazy writing crap. :rolleyes:

Luckily you've found a corner of rationality here at Gatefans when it comes to science fiction and other genres. You will pretty much always find an honest assessment of TV shows and movies here.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

They supported SGU too (are you an SGU lover?)

ecgordon

Star's Hero
Do you know that most people are idiots?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You will find at this forum we appreciate the truth, and the truth is Ascension is a turd. A big steaming turd. Seriously, it's not just bad, it's very bad. For people on other sites to claim that they like this pile of putrid excrement is for them to publicly declare that they are idiots that happily gobble down the festering shit that SyFy spoon feeds them. It's also an indictment of their claim to be science fiction fans. They aren't. They're liars; self-deluded liars. And morons, they're also morons, let's not forget that.

The fact is Ascension is not science fiction. Even the premise of sequestering people in an isolated environment isn't science fiction. Where is the futuristic technology being employed in this endeavor? There isn't any. They just stuck a bunch of people in a big, fancy hotel and told them they are in space. That's not science fiction, rather, it's just lame. The supposed "scifi" setting is merely being used as a vehicle for the presentation of bad melodrama. This is called "soapfi". We don't like soapfi here at Gatefans.

And don't even get me going about the "magic child with super powers" gimmick they used. That's definitely not science fiction. It's simply crap -- cheap, lazy writing crap. :rolleyes:

Luckily you've found a corner of rationality here at Gatefans when it comes to science fiction and other genres. You will pretty much always find an honest assessment of TV shows and movies here.

Damn, you write so freakin well...:icon_clap:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Damn, you write so freakin well...:icon_clap:

Thank you.
th_1332322fo70q0azg9.gif

As you know one of my pet peeves these days is the false use of the term "science fiction". And Ascension clearly is not science fiction. It's crap, and to remain silent on this fact is to give this televised travesty a sanction, therefore I had to speak.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thank you.
th_1332322fo70q0azg9.gif

As you know one of my pet peeves these days is the false use of the term "science fiction". And Ascension clearly is not science fiction. It's crap, and to remain silent on this fact is to in effect give this televised travesty a sanction, therefore I had to speak.

Oh yes, my simian friend, I do indeed get it and you know I do. :) And it is merely one turd floating in the fetid pond. We have NuTrek, Falling Skies, Defiance, Dominion, and the others which have sunk to the bottom over the last couple of years. NuBSG marks the beginning of SoapFi. Now we have nothing more than soap opera characters prancing around babbling to each other whilst having sex, each holding up a cheesy space helmet mask on a stick in front of their face and claiming to be science fiction.

img-thing.jpeg

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Ascension is actually a psychological study on the depths of human stupidity. Just think of what it examines:

First, it examines how a group that started at 50 and is now 600 NEVER figures out that they are not in space. This despite the clues that they are not being obvious and all around them.

Second, that this group of doofuses is somehow responsible for all our modern inventions in secret. Are we really supposed to believe that? They come across so dumb it is amazing they can actually operate the ship (but then again they also can't figure out they aren't in space either).

Third, it assumes the audience is stunningly stupid. While there is a concept known as willing suspension of disbelief the threshold here is so high that only someone whose intelligence is below a functional level would actually buy into it.

Annoyed

Surly Old Curmudgeon
Ascension is actually a psychological study on the depths of human stupidity. Just think of what it examines:

First, it examines how a group that started at 50 and is now 600 NEVER figures out that they are not in space. This despite the clues that they are not being obvious and all around them.

Second, that this group of doofuses is somehow responsible for all our modern inventions in secret. Are we really supposed to believe that? They come across so dumb it is amazing they can actually operate the ship (but then again they also can't figure out they aren't in space either).

Third, it assumes the audience is stunningly stupid. While there is a concept known as willing suspension of disbelief the threshold here is so high that only someone whose intelligence is below a functional level would actually buy into it.

Lazarus Long himself won't live long enough to fully comprehend that.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
My local station is broadcasting "Ascension" on February the 9th, so I will finally get a peak at this disaster of a show. Now, if it turns out to be a brilliantly orchestrated piece of work then I will have no option but to tell you so.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
My local station is broadcasting "Ascension" on February the 9th, so I will finally get a peak at this disaster of a show. Now, if it turns out to be a brilliantly orchestrated piece of work then I will have no option but to tell you so.

If your brain doesn't melt while watching this show feel free to set us straight. :icon10:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If your brain doesn't melt while watching this show feel free to set us straight. :icon10:
Thing is, it doesnt work even if the ship really was in space instead of where it really is. That the utterly stupid society which has formed on the ship even functions at all is a mystery.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
At least if the ship were really in space the underlying absurdity of no one in the crew figuring the deception out would not be there. As to the society, it seems that outside of the flight crew the rest of the crew is either a socialite or work in the dirty jobs. Apparently no one is actually involved in the kinds of things that new colony on an unknown world would actually need.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
See, this is why you send out 3 arks.................

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

Be prepared for several excellent scenes with Tricia Helfer's behind. If this thread was in Flame Hell, I would post a picture from this story:

http://morningafter.gawker.com/while-you-watched-the-globes-allison-williams-got-her-1678892482

Gawker said: