Is it just me, or does Ascension sound like another bout of Soap-Fi?

Annoyed

Surly Old Curmudgeon
BRAVO! This is the sort of stuff we do here all the time, wether it be on about a movie or show, or politics and what not. Have at it. :) We are very similar in our perspective on the government and overall gameboard we are all forced to sit on. I like your views. More! Although, this seems more like something that would be discussed in the 24/7 Lounge forum.

Heh. I don't have time right now to go looking for discussions, in the middle of frustrating and time consuming project, perhaps later on. But if I trip over one, I won't shy away from one, either. =)

One question. Do people around here get offended if you don't participate in the reputation points and other things of that nature? I've never used such tools on any board; it's too much like the high school popularity competition bit for my taste. Is there some function to them here that I'm not aware of, such as different permission levels based upon reputation / etc?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Heh. I don't have time right now to go looking for discussions, in the middle of frustrating and time consuming project, perhaps later on. But if I trip over one, I won't shy away from one, either. =)

One question. Do people around here get offended if you don't participate in the reputation points and other things of that nature? I've never used such tools on any board; it's too much like the high school popularity competition bit for my taste. Is there some function to them here that I'm not aware of, such as different permission levels based upon reputation / etc?

No worries about not using the rep system as it's fairly defunct now anyways. We seem to much prefer the "Like" type of buttons available under each post. You don't have to use those either if you don't care to. They are just handy if you agree with someone or find their post funny, but don't want to write up a whole reply just to say as much.

I should add that one thing that I really like about this site is that we've never gotten neurotic about the reputation thing. I've seen on other forums how way too much focus is put on rep and it just seems very juvenile to me. Thankfully we're not like that here so, again, don't worry one wit about the reputation thing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Shaved pretty much said it. :) The little "toys" you see below our avatars are either awards (given for predictions of ratings, other stuff) or they are "trinkets" which are free and do not require any contest or anything at all. You can find them both on the Awards and Trinkets page in the menu. Trinkets are just decorations which allow you to personalize your GateFans account. Rep is there, but nobody really pays attention to it (as Shaved said). The Like and other judgement icons are what are getting used here the most. You can even Dislike. :)

Last edited:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, I'm old. I'll be 65 later this year.

As for BSG ripping off Star Wars, the first time I saw BSG I figured Larson had stolen the idea for the Cylon's from Fred Saberhagen's Berserker series of books. Then again, in both books and the film media there really isn't anything original. Most plots can be traced back to either the Greek playwrights or Shakespeare.

Women looked better in the 1980s than they did in the 1970s.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Women looked better in the 1980s than they did in the 1970s.

Yes, a LOT better. They were more feminine to me. The 1970s seemed to be a time when women wanted to be more like men (socially and politically), and the 1980s seemed to mellow the Women's Lib movement a bit.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, it's obvious from the"ending" of this thing that they want to make a series out of it. I dont think that is going to happen. The ratings for the opener was a paltry 1.8 million. I cannot find the ratings for the rest of the show, but the fact that they are not even at TVbythenumbers means they are being squelched. I bet they were dismal.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I posted ratings upthread. It had a 1.8 on the first night and finished at a 1.5.

That is "tanking hard". Only fools would pick it up as a series.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I posted ratings upthread. It had a 1.8 on the first night and finished at a 1.5.

That is "tanking hard". Only fools would pick it up as a series.

Too many pages to search, but 1.5 ending is horrible for a pilot miniseries. They would really be dumb to extend this thing.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Too many pages to search, but 1.5 ending is horrible for a pilot miniseries. They would really be dumb to extend this thing.

From your lips to God's ear. ;)

*I only say this because SyFy has a track record of doing stupid things as we all know.

ecgordon

Star's Hero
Never underestimate the stupidity of Syfy executives.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
glad to see there are still people who didn't like this horrible mini series!

Welcome to GateFans! Are you a Syfy Forums refugee? Whichever, we are very happy to have you here and yeah, we hated this mini-series too. :) Lets hope that they dont turn it into a real series. :)

:welcomewagon::welcomewagon::welcomewagon::welcomewagon:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
yes i am a syfy forum refugee!

Great. :) Jump in and participate wherever you want. Things are a lot freer over here, and you can say and do a whole lot more. You will find others here from Skiffy.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Given that it tanked in the ratings hopefully it doesn't get picked up.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Given that it tanked in the ratings hopefully it doesn't get picked up.

Perhaps after a few of these awful experiments, they might finally understand that scifi fans are really not all that excited about NuBSG-ish stuff, and that we dont hold it or it's characters in nearly as high a regard as Skiffy does.

I still think that the main reason Syfy is making all this crap because they still see NuBSG as the benchmark. This is because of Bonnie Hammer and the morons she has surrounded herself with. None of them get science fiction, including her.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Poor old 'pakar', I never realized that some of us have been posting away with him since the Caprica days. My poor memory couldn't remember what pakar's posting background was until I was backing up some of those threads and his name turned up everywhere.

First post, and no blood letting. Some of us are slipping!

:hide;

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm glad some of the SciFi gang came here. I'm also glad I was able to get in there and salvage the entire "Down in the Dumps" GIF series from the BSG forums.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I'm glad some of the SciFi gang came here. I'm also glad I was able to get in there and salvage the entire "Down in the Dumps" GIF series from the BSG forums.

I did pretty good. All of the written words from "Down In The Dumps" have been saved in MS Word, unfortunately those 15 pages amount to two files of say 25MBs each.

I am not saying I am obsessive-compulsive, but I do go over-board sometimes. For personal reasons I have saved a pretty interesting/ varied selection of what Skiffy will soon "space". Off the top I have saved all of the "Continuum" threads, as well as my "Husker: The Early Years" thread from Caprica. Yongjin has a 2MB file, 133 pages, where we saved his. "Thread for those who like to think Daniel Graystone is the first Hybrid". Blah, blah, blah, so on and so on.

Just for posterity, twenty years from now if I ever get in Alzheimer mode, it will be interesting to see if I remember what a "Pootamoot" actually is?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I did pretty good. All of the written words from "Down In The Dumps" have been saved in MS Word, unfortunately those 15 pages amount to two files of say 25MBs each.

I am not saying I am obsessive-compulsive, but I do go over-board sometimes. For personal reasons I have saved a pretty interesting/ varied selection of what Skiffy will soon "space". Off the top I have saved all of the "Continuum" threads, as well as my "Husker: The Early Years" thread from Caprica. Yongjin has a 2MB file, 133 pages, where we saved his. "Thread for those who like to think Daniel Graystone is the first Hybrid". Blah, blah, blah, so on and so on.

Just for posterity, twenty years from now if I ever get in Alzheimer mode, it will be interesting to see if I remember what a "Pootamoot" actually is?

You can upload them here if you want, there are no space limitations. :) I have upload maxed at 96MB per upload. But there are other GateFans resources to upload several gigabytes if needed.