General Discussion & Recap/Review Thread: SGU Episode 05 - "Cloverdale"

SerenityS

GateFans Member
:facepalm: Terrible.

I has to physically restrain myself from switching off the tv whilst watching this episode.
Ronon's Recorded mission report was more entertaining than this whole episode.

This episode was basically....

On Bus, in empty boring american town.
On planet with crazy plants, that infect Scott.
OW NOES! WE ONLY GOT 6HRS LEFT!
Chloe cries.
Chloe Cries some more.
OW NOES! WE ONLY GOT 4 HRS LEFT!
Scott dreams about marrying Chloe... ALOT.
CUT SCENE TO DESTINY FTL TIMER.
Scott and Chloe become blood brothers.
Scott is healed.
CUT SCENE TO DESTINY FTL TIMER.
Go back to Destiny.
Holding hands moment.
Scott Cries some.
:facepalm:

What I dont get is.... Destiny is on the OTHER SIDE OF THE UNIVERSE!!! ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!
and yet....

All the producers can come up with is a stupid episode about two crap actors forming some pointless bond that no-one cares about!

For the love of god! Find a universal Translator...

I am coming to truly appreciate the value of a good rubber-faced English-speaking alien. :)

iratecaller

GateFans Noob
I am coming to truly appreciate the value of a good rubber-faced English-speaking alien. :)

Amen!! The Asgard rocked. Shame the whole storyline fizzled abruptly and we never saw them do anything too spectacular .. well except screw up all the time.

I'll take an episode with rubber faced aliens over anything with that hose bag Chloe any day.

Chloe makes T'Pol seem decent. (i know i know .. apples and oranges.)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Amen!! The Asgard rocked. Shame the whole storyline fizzled abruptly and we never saw them do anything too spectacular .. well except screw up all the time.

I'll take an episode with rubber faced aliens over anything with that hose bag Chloe any day.

Chloe makes T'Pol seem decent. (i know i know .. apples and oranges.)

I always enjoyed Chakka, the Unas...great character! ;) so much better than any of the English speaking robotic actors on sgpoo. :P

iratecaller

GateFans Noob
I always enjoyed Chakka, the Unas...great character! ;) so much better than any of the English speaking robotic actors on sgpoo. :P

Yes the Unas!

Hrm. Maybe the should release the SG-1 Rubber Faced Alien Collection !!!!

They did it with Star Trek. There's the borg colelction, best of Data , Picard .. etc.

Contrary to Brad Wright and Joe Shmo, Rubber Faced Aliens are an integral and welcome part of TV Sci-Fi. A part that I for one, don't want to loose. I'd love more realistic , and truly alien "aliens", but for budget's sake, I'll keep the rubber-faced aliens for a TV series. DUHHH!!!!

So instead of rubber faced aliens, we got, *drumroll* The Lucian Alliance. TPTB = ASSHOLES.

Loheat

GateFans Cadet
I think Scott was getting married in his dream because thats how he felt his relationship was going with Chloe. Not because he wanted to get married, but that was how his mind imagined the situation. I liked the dynamic with Young being his father, and Rush questioning his integrity like that. I liked the part where Scott asks Young what to do, and Young says "wake up." Telford's lines about making mistakes and not remembering them was good, too.

I still would have preferred most of the episode to take place on the goddamn planet, and actually be about them trying to fix whats wrong with Scott. We get very little on what they are doing to help Scott, pretty much they bring everything they have and throw it on, which does nothing. Then at the end they decide Chloey can magically heal him because of her convenient disease. I wish I could get a disease that had those side effects.

Theres a good Stargate episode in there, crying for attention and trying to get out, but it always seems like the show is focused on the least interesting part of the episode.

F

Frumenta

I thought that Unas was an anagram of anus and a clever play on words. :D

Unas was a Pharaoh. Not sure whether the SG1 Unas were named after him though it would make sense. I didn't know either and when I heard the Nile song "Unas Slayer of the Gods" and I thought it was about Stargate, lol.

Loheat

GateFans Cadet
Unas was a Pharaoh. Not sure whether the SG1 Unas were named after him though it would make sense. I didn't know either and when I heard the Nile song "Unas Slayer of the Gods" and I thought it was about Stargate, lol.
Unas were named because they were the first hosts of the Goa'uld before humans. At least that was how it was explained in show, though the "Slayer of the Gods" part does kind of fit

tthomasol

GateFans Noob
First Time Blogger to SG Anything

I can't take it anymore...
I fell into the SG Franchise two seasons before SG1 was put to bed. I have never posted to this blog or even read it before but I can remain silent no more.
I started out with SGA and loved it so much that I had to have more, I created a HULU account and watched every single SG1 episode over a period of a year or so, and then every SGA and loved them both. I followed SGA right up to the end. I was sad and disappointed to see it end. It wasn’t perfect but it was entertaining, it wasn’t smutty, it was funny at times, and the franchise and actors didn’t seem to take themselves too seriously. I fell in love with the characters, I was routing for them… with some exceptions. Yes sometimes the acting was bad, and the formula was predictable but I was always hoping for some new and interesting episodes and every now and again we would get some real winners that would make it all worthwhile.
Then SGU came out....
Now... I'm just so, so, so disappointed.
I can barely watch an episode, last night I fast forwarded almost every part of the flash back scenes, it was so obvious and transparent and fake and ... frankly uninteresting.
I don't want to watch a soap, I don't want to watch angry people every week fighting with each other... I want to see us explore the galaxy, find some cool technology, find a civilization in a virtual world and move in for a while. There is not a single character I care about... I mean seriously you could kill anyone off and I wouldn't even notice... I'm just disappointed. Please do something to save the franchise; I want to see it turn around... I don't want to be embarrassed anymore when my wife sits down to watch with me... this is just so bad.
Dump the sex scenes, and love interests… stop already with the constant fighting and back biting and malicious behavior on the ship… let us believe in these people, instead of hating everyone. I want someone with integrity to believe in…. I want to pull for these people and hope they make it…. Right now I’m hoping that they all die, and someone else comes up with an interesting show that can replace this.
What if we had a better alternate reality that we could jump ship to… could we have one character survive a cataclysmic event that results in the destruction of the destiny and everyone on board. One person could live long enough to this new reality where everyone is nice, gets along and believes in something and then have that character die and let us just pick up with this new crew from this other dimension and continue as if we were just having a bad dream for season 1 and 2 of SGU.

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob
I fell into the SG Franchise two seasons before SG1 was put to bed. I have never posted to this blog or even read it before but I can remain silent no more.
I started out with SGA and loved it so much that I had to have more, I created a HULU account and watched every single SG1 episode over a period of a year or so, and then every SGA and loved them both. I followed SGA right up to the end. I was sad and disappointed to see it end. It wasn’t perfect but it was entertaining, it wasn’t smutty, it was funny at times, and the franchise and actors didn’t seem to take themselves too seriously. I fell in love with the characters, I was routing for them… with some exceptions. Yes sometimes the acting was bad, and the formula was predictable but I was always hoping for some new and interesting episodes and every now and again we would get some real winners that would make it all worthwhile.
Then SGU came out....
I can barely watch an episode, last night I fast forwarded almost every part of the flash back scenes, it was so obvious and transparent and fake and ... frankly uninteresting.
I don't want to watch a soap, I don't want to watch angry people every week fighting with each other... I want to see us explore the galaxy, find some cool technology, find a civilization in a virtual world and move in for a while. There is not a single character I care about... I mean seriously you could kill anyone off and I wouldn't even notice... I'm just disappointed. Please do something to save the franchise; I want to see it turn around... I don't want to be embarrassed anymore when my wife sits down to watch with me... this is just so bad.
Dump the sex scenes, and love interests… stop already with the constant fighting and back biting and malicious behavior on the ship… let us believe in these people, instead of hating everyone. I want someone with integrity to believe in…. I want to pull for these people and hope they make it…. Right now I’m hoping that they all die, and someone else comes up with an interesting show that can replace this.
What if we had a better alternate reality that we could jump ship to… could we have one character survive a cataclysmic event that results in the destruction of the destiny and everyone on board. One person could live long enough to this new reality where everyone is nice, gets along and believes in something and then have that character die and let us just pick up with this new crew from this other dimension and continue as if we were just having a bad dream for season 1 and 2 of SGU.

:welcomewagon:

Your story sounds exactly like all of ours. We all share your reasons and your reaction to what has happened to the Stargate franchise. Unfortunately it appears that it is far too late to correct SGU enough to make it viewable, let alone savable. With luck a reboot will happen in a few years.

F

Frumenta

What was good about this episode:

Half alien Chloe was kinda cool.
I got to see my boyfriend Telford.
Rush as a Justice of the Peace was pretty awesome.
Greer can do more than be a token Angry Black Man. who knew!

What I didn't like. Gads, pretty much everything else. Killer plants? Really? BJS cannot act to save his life. The story was a rip off from stuff they've already done and done it so much better in SG1 with Teal'c's firefighter AU episode and in SGA with Weir's episode where she's in an asylum (I'm bad with episode names)

I'm predicting another submillion episode and it couldn't happen to a better bunch of showrunners.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
WELCOME!

Then SGU came out....

WELCOME to SGU Sucks!

:welcomewagon:

All I can say, is that its good you came here first instead of Gateworld, Newbies over there cant even send private messages, upload avatars or post things on the forum without it having to be approved by the Moderators/Gatekeepers over there. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They have completely locked me out of my OM1 account.

I don't know about what newbies can and can't do because I wasn't very active when I first joined so I didn't notice... But, there's a rule that you can't have a custom avatar until you get over 2,000 posts! Yeah, I'll never get one probably. I'm only at about 375 and that's after about a year on the forum over there. So, oh well....

I cant even log in with my Overmind account now. I asked for my password via the retrieval system, and it says my email address does not exist in the system! You know my new account...and I will NEVER reach 2000 posts at Gateworld. I dont even have 2000 posts on THIS board yet! :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I re-sent the info.

No, I don't know what your new account is. I just remember you mentioned that you were going to start a new one, but you never said the name... You'll have to PM or email me here if you want me to know... I don't think that their system allows for proxies (at least not the popular ones) so they might find you out???

As for the post thing, yeah, I guess they want you to be really, really active, and that's the incentive... That's all I can think of as a reason for it. :confused:

I sent you the name before (check PM, I re-sent it). But since my new account is a probie, I cant do much. :(. Funny, even Hinman's pathetic website allowed me to post there and did not edit my messages or censor me:

http://insideblip.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3457

http://insideblip.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3440

Gateworld is a joke now. They dont even have a real forum, just a bulletin board full of filtered, edited garbage.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just sent it a third time.

Yeah, sorry, but I don't have it. I just got a PM from someone else, and nothing from you... Can you try again? You probably want to check that because it might be affecting others as well...

I just re-sent it again, and also attached a read receipt to it.

Bandit

GateFans Noob
Just finished watching it (why I did this is beyond me but I guess hope never dies). My God what a disaster ! Alien plant that infects people in order to spread ? Honestly ? Is there no originality left in the minds of the writers. We used to watch episodes like this 100 years ago. Dream sequence covering most of the show ? Yeah, we've been there, done that, more times than probably anyone can count. All in all, another dull episode full of holes, no overall plot advancement, terrible CGI, yet again forced drama in order to sympathize with people we don't really care about and generally just more of the same. Just pull the plug already and let the franchise rest, if they are not even willing to make an honest attempt to produce one semi-watchable episode.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I don't know about what newbies can and can't do because I wasn't very active when I first joined so I didn't notice... But, there's a rule that you can't have a custom avatar until you get over 2,000 posts! Yeah, I'll never get one probably. I'm only at about 375 and that's after about a year on the forum over there. So, oh well....

and once you are banned your cutsom avi is gone...so I am a non-person over there now! :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Its like they wipe you from existence!

and once you are banned your cutsom avi is gone...so I am a non-person over there now! :P

They evidently also wiped all my previous posts on the Gateworld boards out completely. I cant find a single post from my OM1 account in the forums. But I can still post in the articles sections using my account.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
YES!

Thanks. And to keep this on topic (lol :P), were the best parts of the episode in the clip that showed Scott getting eaten and run over?

When Scott got hit by that car, I actually laughed, and rewound it! :joy:

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob
Just finished watching it (why I did this is beyond me but I guess hope never dies). My God what a disaster ! Alien plant that infects people in order to spread ? Honestly ? Is there no originality left in the minds of the writers. We used to watch episodes like this 100 years ago. Dream sequence covering most of the show ? Yeah, we've been there, done that, more times than probably anyone can count. All in all, another dull episode full of holes, no overall plot advancement, terrible CGI, yet again forced drama in order to sympathize with people we don't really care about and generally just more of the same. Just pull the plug already and let the franchise rest, if they are not even willing to make an honest attempt to produce one semi-watchable episode.

I completely agree with everything you've said. The one thing that stands out amongst all the crap in the episode was the horrible use of CGI. It was beyond lame. And yes, TPTB seem to be doing everything they can to make sure they don't create even one semi-watchable episode.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
When Scott got hit by that car, I actually laughed, and rewound it! :joy:

Really? Maybe I need to DL an episode. That sounds like a good clip for you movie makers out there.

Gateworld is a joke now. They dont even have a real forum, just a bulletin board full of filtered, edited garbage.

Now that's material for a sig right there.

Has the ratings countdown clock been started?