General Discussion & Recap/Review Thread: SGU Episode 05 - "Cloverdale"

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
the pig has my sympathy because he has to watch this crap. I love ya pig for doing this for us...your sacrifice will not be unappreciated. (ok I watched a couple of WWII documentaries with hubby tonight! :P)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Judging from the "live view thread" on GW, Piggy will need more than sympathy to review this one. Hell, just from their microposts I started to play "kick the can" already.
Oh, and in case you can't be asked, Brian's prediction for this one was 0.94 (or thereabouts)

Loheat

GateFans Cadet
Same as last episode, Earth parts sucked, parts taking place on an alien planet were good. Too much of the former, not enough of the latter.

psyphi

GateFans Noob
Review: Shit sux. Acting was bad, CGI was bad, alien plant was bad, Chloe is still a horrible character and that actress has no range. She needs to GTFO. If this had been an SG1 episode there would have been all kinds of awesome stuff to rave about, but it was SGU so they wasted it.

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob
Yawn. Opening Earth/Dream scene boring, even when Soldier Boy gets nailed by a car. Get to see interior of Canadian bungalow. Yawn. Talk about wedding between people we don't care about. Boring couple we don't care about goes to movie (in the dream sequence) and we see a fictional version of how Scott gets bitten by an evil plant. Yawn. Jump back and forth between Scott writhing in agony on a forest floor (surrounded by a well fed and rather plump crew) with some fungus growing on his arm and the Earth/Dream sequence. Yawn. Yawn, Yawn.

The evil plants that are attacking the "away team" are never really seen, it's just implied they are there. Even in the final attack sequence where the plants have breeched the barricades we don't get a good glimpse at what they really look like. Oh yeah, and for some reason Destiny has TONS of cargo boxes that can be used to build a massive barricade but it's never explained who provided those storage crates to begin with and/or what they contained. Apparently Young finally got around to having some of the 80 people on board unpack some of the Ikea furniture in storage thereby freeing up the crates to be used for something else -- like building a barricade to defend against attacking plant creatures...that we never really get a good look at, but that's okay because this isn't a sci-fi show so what was I expecting. Foolish me.

Back on "Earth", i.e, in Scott's feverish mind, we go thru two days of wedding preparation for the boy replete with bachelor party and suit fitting and even a psyche evaluation with Rush, the pastor. In the bachelor party scene Lt. James is put to work waiting tables in a tight fitting T-shirt that shows off her assets and gets basically one line of dialogue. Once again the character, and the actress, are horribly underused, and even in the dream sequence she is portrayed as nothing more than a used dish rag that Scott has thrown away. Let's hear it for sexism and bad writing! Yay!!!

More crap happens in the dream sequence, none of it important. Back on the planet with the attacking evil plants the token angry black man gets to play with fire while Chloe uses her tainted blood to give Scott an infusion, thereby killing off the fungus growing on his arm with a rather virulent strain of gonorrhea. The fungus magically shatters off of his lily white arm and the boy is no worse for wear. Everyone makes it back to Destiny in one piece and lives happily ever after. The end.

What makes this episode particularly pathetic is that it didn't even rise to the level of derision. Usually I can get a laugh out of how stupid the writing is but this one was so boring I couldn't be bothered to laugh at it. In fact, it was so blah that I'm bored even trying to ridicule it here. I can only imagine how many people turned it off after being bored by the first few minutes of it. In short: You can easily skip this episode and you won't have missed anything relevant to whatever plot or story arc the writers have for SGU -- if they do have one that is.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yaaaaawn. Too much bad stuff, not enough good stuff, too much left hanging.

This was one of the worst episodes. Thats because of the stupid dream that Scott had, the fact that only NOW are they introducing decontamination procedures, when Rush and Chloe should have undergone them last season with the fish people. And the plants...just :facepalm:. What is it with all the silly sound effects in this show? All the aliens seem to make rattlesnake type sounds, or growling/gurgling sounds. It makes them look even sillier.

It was awful. Im still wandering aimlessly, stunned much like fish would be if somebody threw a stick of dynamite in the water. Just :facepalm:

vlcsnap-2010-10-26-23h07m02s150.png

The wedding scenes and just the overall notion that Scott is thinking of marriage to Chloe is way out there. So all the stuff connected with that is pointless. Things I did notice about the episode and were appreciated:

1. The music: YES, I totally noticed that the majority of the background music was classical, and the scene when they were escaping back to Destiny through the stargate (after Scott is magically healed), they are playing my favorite classical composer Johann Sebastian Bach. That was most refreshing indeed.
  2. The lighting was better, both on the ship and overall.
  3. Eli got a proper amount of screentime, and I got to see more of Greer than just Token Angry.
  4. Young seemed more normal when he was in those earth scenes in Cloverdale.
Okay, there are 4 GOOD things that stood out. But the list of BAD thing in the episode is at least 26.7 times longer than the list of good things, so its a stinker overall and Im sticking with my prediction in the Ratings Predictions thread of 0.89 Anybody tuning into this show would think they were watching some soap opera. It would almost appear as though it was a soap opera where one of the characters is hallucinating about being aboard some dreary boring ship hurtling from galaxy to galaxy and is full of sociopaths. :roll:

Jason1983

GateFans Noob
Still falls flat but not as bad as last weeks episode.

The whole dream thing with Scott was stupid. The high point of the stupidity was the Bachelor Party.

I did like the ending though. I thought the fighting with the evil monster plants was good. (I couldn't help but think while I watched that it would of been fun to see SG-1 fighting these things.)

I really liked Greer in this episode. Whoever plays him is a pretty good actor. Greer could be a great character if the writing was better.

I was also surprised Chloe allowed herself to be bitten by the evil plant...I thought that was kind of a good twist.

:jack_new04: (sigh) this show is just annoying....every time I want it to get better it just falls flat

My rating: 4/10

Tomm

GateFans Noob
How can Chloe donate blood to Scott ??!?!?!

Matching a donor's blood type and a patient's blood is critical in transfusions.
If someone with type A blood receives type B, he may have a severe hemolytic reaction.
This can destroy many of his red cells and quickly kill him.
While blood-typing and cross matching are now routine, errors do occur. Every year people die of hemolytic reactions.

I guess they got lucky and both of them happen to have the exact same blood type
(a chance of one in eight)
so much for "trying to be realistic and avoid easy fix endings"

agent509

GateFans Noob
Matching a donor's blood type and a patient's blood is critical in transfusions.
If someone with type A blood receives type B, he may have a severe hemolytic reaction.
While blood-typing and cross matching are now routine, errors do occur. Every year people die of hemolytic reactions.

I guess they got lucky and both of them happen to have the exact same blood type

well, she could if she knew she had blood type O negative. O negative is the universal donor. Or if Scott knew he had AB+, then anyone could have donated blood.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
I'm watching the episode right now, so I won't go into spoilers but I will say this.

CHLOE YOU STUPID FUCKING DUMBASS WHORE. Jesus Christ on a Pogo stick on weekly tonight?! I would of grabbed the nearest rifle and smacked her with the buttstock.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
The whole dream thing with Scott was stupid. The high point of the stupidity was the Bachelor Party.

I did like the ending though. I thought the fighting with the evil monster plants was good. (I couldn't help but think while I watched that it would of been fun to see SG-1 fighting these things.)

I really liked Greer in this episode. Whoever plays him is a pretty good actor. Greer could be a great character if the writing was better.

I was also surprised Chloe allowed herself to be bitten by the evil plant...I thought that was kind of a good twist.

:jack_new04: (sigh) this show is just annoying....every time I want it to get better it just falls flat

My rating: 4/10

Call me evil and twisted (ok I am!) but this was my first thought about the evil plants:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGRN39oifsE

{this portion of post moved to pt. 2 discussion in trenches - http://forums.sgusucks.com/showthre...s-Others-in-SGU-vs.-Reality?p=17852#post17852 }

we do not even want to start on the medical stupidity with this show....thee are so many rules of medical sci8ence they break, ignore, etc...and when you point it out to the baby squeedrones they complain that YOU don't understand science!!! my better half works with a major pharmaceutical company-- I know the process they go through in drug discovery! and the consequences of not following the procedures! :P

I agree! And someone needs to stop commenting before he insults everyone here.

I caught the last 15 minutes of this episode, waiting for Caprica to start. After seeing the preview clip, I knew exactly what was happening and how they would 'fix' it without even bothering to see the other 45 minutes - which means it was a total waste of time, imo.

And there is no way you can just do a blood transfusion on the fly like that. What a ridiculous fix, and it just shows the writers are lazy and do no research whatsoever.

Oh, and the CGI that they're spending all the money on? AWFUL.

Yes...the show is entire waste of time when you can do that! ;)

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Ok, with my rage subsided, I don't get it, does Chloe have a quota of stupid she has fill in every month or something? Seriously this is getting ridiculous now.

I must admit seeing Scott getting hit by the car did put a smile on my face for sure (like in LOST when Kate got shot I cheered!) however natural selection was on holiday this time so he lived. The effects well, the CGI was ok to awful, the plants did look ok but that might have been because of lighting not showing the models are they truly are but the part when the Kino did an aerial survey you could so easily tell that was CGI and poorly done at that. Greer has gone up for me slightly, showing that he knows his place and when to sacrifice himself for the group, but Chloe has gone down several places (she was already well into the negatives) but the ending (the last 30 seconds) I thought Young had a stroke of common sense for once, wow, thought I'd never say that.

That aside I'm going to guess what happens to Wray in this, ok guess time! Amanda Perry is going to be in Wray's body, Rush and her get jiggy with it, while in mid thrusting the connection breaks, hilarity ensues.

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob

I thought of this also, I mean, it was so obvious. Anyone with half a brain knows you can't just "plug and play" when it comes to blood transfusions. It would have helped if they had explained that both people were compatible instead of just using this tired, tired, tired old cinematic trick.

Also, what happened to them wanting to cut off Scott's arm with that grinding saw? They were all set up to do it once they got to the gate and then they just dropped that plan without explaining why they dropped it. Did I miss something here?

bananaoil

GateFans Noob
Oh man, what a stinker of an episode!

BUT GUYS, THE WEDDING WAS A METAPHOR OF THE PHYSICAL BLOOD UNION BETWEEN CHLOE AND SCOTT! That's so deep and subtle. So now Scott will turn into a Blue as well, and they'll have a Blue baby which will be evil, but TJ's God Planet baby will be good, and they'll both be genetically modified to reach adulthood within a few days.

And while watching the plant monsters, all I could think about was a certain SG-1 season 2 episode titled "One False Step." It's never a good thing when your new show reminds me of one of the worst SG-1 episodes ever filmed.

MetalFoldingChair:

As TJ was cutting into Scott's arm, everyone noticed that Scott's blood had changed colors, which meant that the organism was spreading through is blood stream - severing the arm would have been pointless.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Ok, with my rage subsided, I don't get it, does Chloe have a quota of stupid she has fill in every month or something? Seriously this is getting ridiculous now.

I must admit seeing Scott getting hit by the car did put a smile on my face for sure (like in LOST when Kate got shot I cheered!) however natural selection was on holiday this time so he lived. The effects well, the CGI was ok to awful, the plants did look ok but that might have been because of lighting not showing the models are they truly are but the part when the Kino did an aerial survey you could so easily tell that was CGI and poorly done at that. Greer has gone up for me slightly, showing that he knows his place and when to sacrifice himself for the group, but Chloe has gone down several places (she was already well into the negatives) but the ending (the last 30 seconds) I thought Young had a stroke of common sense for once, wow, thought I'd never say that.

That aside I'm going to guess what happens to Wray in this, ok guess time! Amanda Perry is going to be in Wray's body, Rush and her get jiggy with it, while in mid thrusting the connection breaks, hilarity ensues.

sprayed water on the keyboard with that one! I can just see it! wray will definitely bitch-slap him (which I would pay money to see :P) :laughing:

BUT GUYS, THE WEDDING WAS A METAPHOR OF THE PHYSICAL BLOOD UNION BETWEEN CHLOE AND SCOTT! That's so deep and subtle. So now Scott will turn into a Blue as well, and they'll have a Blue baby which will be evil, but TJ's God Planet baby will be good, and they'll both be genetically modified to reach adulthood within a few days.

And while watching the plant monsters, all I could think about was a certain SG-1 season 2 episode titled "One False Step." It's never a good thing when your new show reminds me of one of the worst SG-1 episodes ever filmed.

MetalFoldingChair:

As TJ was cutting into Scott's arm, everyone noticed that Scott's blood had changed colors, which meant that the organism was spreading through is blood stream - severing the arm would have been pointless.

And they will be a teenage girl & boy and they will get together to rule the universe! mwahahahah:ori:

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob

:laughing: Spot on!

MetalFoldingChair:

Oh okay. I figured I had to have missed something but to be honest I was probably so bored with the episode that my mind wandered to something more interesting.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
The good:
-All the non-dream sequence stuff up until Chloe went full retard at the end
-Rush as the Justice of the Peace
-Scott getting insulted by people inside his own dream
-Dream Young was a fairly decent guy in contrast to real Young
-The music
-Decent lighting

The bad:
-Focusing on Scott, one of the blandest/least likable characters on the show
-Shitty CGI plant monsters. Did the location shots eat up all the CGI money?
-All the hackneyed dream shit (which was half the damn show)
-Chloe going full retard
-Not going all the way and killing Scott. That would've made the episode worthwhile.
-Young is still an idiot, even though it's not as bad as previous episodes.

Is it any wonder this show is sinking faster than the Titanic?

iratecaller

GateFans Noob
That bad huh?

So the episode was so bad that the thread veered completely off topic. LOL.
Stargate was SCI-FI and SGU veered it into weird teenie drama BS.
Strange but wow, there's a parallel.

Welcome to SGUSucks.com your premier resource for all things "Stamp Collecting" because SGU is so god damn boring, we can't help but veer off topic.
ronananime17.gif

LOL. Suffice it to say that this episode is one of the last nails in SGU's coffin ??

Rating

GateFans Noob
:facepalm: Terrible.

I has to physically restrain myself from switching off the tv whilst watching this episode.
Ronon's Recorded mission report was more entertaining than this whole episode.

This episode was basically....

On Bus, in empty boring american town.
On planet with crazy plants, that infect Scott.
OW NOES! WE ONLY GOT 6HRS LEFT!
Chloe cries.
Chloe Cries some more.
OW NOES! WE ONLY GOT 4 HRS LEFT!
Scott dreams about marrying Chloe... ALOT.
CUT SCENE TO DESTINY FTL TIMER.
Scott and Chloe become blood brothers.
Scott is healed.
CUT SCENE TO DESTINY FTL TIMER.
Go back to Destiny.
Holding hands moment.
Scott Cries some.
:facepalm:

What I dont get is.... Destiny is on the OTHER SIDE OF THE UNIVERSE!!! ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!
and yet....

All the producers can come up with is a stupid episode about two crap actors forming some pointless bond that no-one cares about!

and For the love of god! Find a universal Translator...

edit
The timer concern is starting to annoy me. It crops up in every episode. I know they have done this before, like in Atlantis it was all about finding ZPM's. But at least in Atlantis we actually cared. Finding a ZPM was cool because more of the city turned on, and we got cool episodes about ancient tech and space fights with wraith.
But imagine for a sec they actually find a way to stop the FTL timer on destiny!!! We might get two part episodes, with more boring crying and more boring dream/stone scenes back on earth. :facepalm: