General Discussion & Recap/Review Thread: SGU Episode 05 - "Cloverdale"

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
OK, I haven't seen the episode and don't need to thanks to Pig's excellent review.
But I have a question. Why all of a sudden is the crew able to perform emergency surgery to save a crewman off world when a few episodes ago they actually let Riley die rather than cut him free from the wreckage? Did the writers forget about that? I'm sure that's a stupid question. Of course they did.
Sounds like they either fired their continuity person, or bought a shitty one at bargain basement prices.

In these days of DVR recording, people can watch and rewatch shows...and we tend to catch hella more continuity errors than the people who produce the programs.

Loheat

GateFans Cadet
Sounds like they either fired their continuity person, or bought a shitty one at bargain basement prices.

In these days of DVR recording, people can watch and rewatch shows...and we tend to catch hella more continuity errors than the people who produce the programs.

Or Riley's injury was worse than Scott's

psyphi

GateFans Noob
Or Riley's injury was worse than Scott's

He was trapped under wreckage and bleeding to death from his legs. At one point they actually lifted it off his legs then put it back. Pretty much they let him die without even trying. They could have applied pressure to his stumps or something. He may have died anyway, but they could have tried a little harder.

Starman

GateFans Noob
:welcomewagon:

Hey Starman, welcome! (Is "Starman" a Bowie reference or a movie reference?)

I don't know what's worse when it comes to commenting on the episodes, the squee fan delusions or the actors delusions. I can only assume that the SGU actors in question don't actually watch the episodes when they air and are just squeeing about how cool it was to be on location for filming whatever episode and how they got to run around in some British Columbian forest and eat free donuts between takes. Surely their positive comments can't be in reference to the dreck that we, the humble viewers, actually see as the end result.

You're right, total filler episode last night, but much of the show itself is filler and the rest seems to be made up of derivative (read: stolen) characters and story lines. Much of what happens (when anything happens) on SGU has been done before -- and done much better. I don't think it's necessarily bad for a show to be influenced by other shows and even borrow stories that have been done before, but the onus is then on that new shows producers to make that old, used story/character different and new in some way. SGU doesn't seem to be doing that, in fact, they seem to be making those old, used stories/characters only worse. They've even managed to make the stolen, dark, "gritty" style of the show worse than its predecessors (BSG).

I'm sure SGU will die long before anyone could even think of doing a recast -- and even if they recast the actors that wouldn't change anything if the same writers/producers were still churning out boring, uninteresting crap. There would have to be a recast from the front office on down.

Combination of the movie and the fact that I worked at a museum's observatory in high school running the telescopes and teaching classes. I spent my nights stargazing, so the name came to me too, since the movie had come out only a year and a half before I started working there!

What I meant by recasting was the shuffling of the current cast to new roles for this episode... I doubt anyone will want to remake this once it finally meets its demise. And I had forgotten, SG1 did it as well, with Christopher Judge's The Changeling (which was complete role changes as opposed to, say Moebius, where they played different versions of themselves). SGA kind of did it in The Long Goodbye, although it was only Shepard and Weir who got to be someone else.

You're right, the fans have been retweeted a lot too, especially by James Bamford (I didn't know the stunt guy was such a voice for the survival of the show). I can't remember how long I've been following him, but this episode seems to have been the worst for a big old group hug and an "attaboy" from all involved.

Starman

GateFans Noob
welcome to the neighborhood!
MG_124.gif

I loved sg1's the changeling...Chris Judge did a fabulous job both writing and acting in that one. :) naturally sgpoo's version sucked.

Thank you :) Glad to be on board!

I had forgotten about Changeling until I read this -- it was a good episode. I think it slipped my mind because SG1 had gotten close to that in different episodes -- Moebius and to a lesser extent, Ripple Effect (which I really liked... if SGU wanted a lesson on doing a different episode, there's a good one).

Starman

GateFans Noob
Welcome tthomasol. Feels good letting it out and talking about it doesn't it?
It's the first step to recovery.

I gather you're rather angry right now.
Pretty soon you'll let go of the promise of SG-1 and Atlantis movies.

You'll be thankfull for the Stargate we had.
You may hold on to the promise of great Stargate in the future, and in more capable hands.
Your hatred and distrust for TPTB probably won't fade however. LOL.

Welcome to your new home for all things sci-fi, and uncensored!!!

smiley-015.gif
:mallozzicry:

It's probably been brought up here before, but I read Mallozzi's blog. It seems like he's just counting the days until Stargate ends and he can get on with his other pet projects he alludes to in practically every post, but throws in that they're all classified secrets and he can't talk about them aside from that.

Anyone with "producer" in their title on this show cannot be trusted. Never again.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
He was trapped under wreckage and bleeding to death from his legs. At one point they actually lifted it off his legs then put it back. Pretty much they let him die without even trying. They could have applied pressure to his stumps or something. He may have died anyway, but they could have tried a little harder.

Had to re-watch the episode to make sure. My medical knowledge is sketchy at best but here it goes.
As a last ditch effort they could have done this: Drag him out, quickly apply a tourniquet to the leg which is bleeding out, this will give the medic approximately 10 minutes (the reason for the 10 minutes is any longer and tissue will begin to die off due to lack of blood flow) to hopefully treat the injury or enough time to make the call to perform an amputation. Judging from his injury anyways he would have lost at least his foot something. But you are right, they didn't really try. Would have been a great horrifying moment, the medic desperately trying to save a mans life while he bleeds out, but no they went for the sweet surrender routine.

Also Riley was actually good at his job, so this further compounds my thoughts on SGU, intelligence is vilified! It must be subjugated! Can't have these people with intelligence running amuck causing who knows what actually doing something, Heaven forbid, no we must save the usesless twat of an air force officer who really shouldn't be in the military.

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
As a last ditch effort they could have done this: Drag him out, quickly apply a tourniquet to the leg which is bleeding out, this will give the medic approximately 10 minutes (the reason for the 10 minutes is any longer and tissue will begin to die off due to lack of blood flow) to hopefully treat the injury or enough time to make the call to perform an amputation. Judging from his injury anyways he would have lost at least his foot something. But you are right, they didn't really try. Would have been a great horrifying moment, the medic desperately trying to save a mans life while he bleeds out, but no they went for the sweet surrender routine.

Also Riley was actually good at his job, so this further compounds my thoughts on SGU, intelligence is vilified! It must be subjugated! Can't have these people with intelligence running amuck causing who knows what actually doing something, Heaven forbid, no we must save the usesless twat of an air force officer who really shouldn't be in the military.

Your analysis is right on the money. Intelligence is not only vilified in the characters, but in the writers' room too, apparently. If they wanted to go the route they did, the big mistake was having Riley pinned in the legs. Legs can be amputated. They should have made him pinned above the hips - so basically - "cut" in half, with his lower torso crushed completely so there would be no hope to save him. I've seen that scenario a couple of times - like in that Mel Gibson movie Signs, and in some medic TV show where there was a car crash involving newlyweds leaving their wedding and the groom was basically cut in half, but he was being kept alive by the pressure of the wreckage. The medics knew if they lifted the wreckage off of him he would bleed out and die, but they had to lift the wreckage in order to save the guy's wife - and the two had just gotten married and were still in their wedding outfits - now THAT actually brought a tear to my eye, and we'd never even seen those characters before the beginning of that episode! Yet, the writing was just so much better than SGU, that I really cared about those two people in the car, and it was very tragic / touching - unlike the Riley death scene.

PegDIG2004

GateFans Noob
My point exactly!

They can cut off Scott's arm in the field to try to save his life, but did nothing to try to save Riley? Give me a break. :mad:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
This was one of the worst episodes. Thats because of the stupid dream that Scott had, the fact that only NOW are they introducing decontamination procedures, when Rush and Chloe should have undergone them last season with the fish people. And the plants...just :facepalm:. What is it with all the silly sound effects in this show? All the aliens seem to make rattlesnake type sounds, or growling/gurgling sounds. It makes them look even sillier.

It was awful. Im still wandering aimlessly, stunned much like fish would be if somebody threw a stick of dynamite in the water. Just :facepalm:

View attachment 1497

The wedding scenes and just the overall notion that Scott is thinking of marriage to Chloe is way out there. So all the stuff connected with that is pointless. Things I did notice about the episode and were appreciated:

1. The music: YES, I totally noticed that the majority of the background music was classical, and the scene when they were escaping back to Destiny through the stargate (after Scott is magically healed), they are playing my favorite classical composer Johann Sebastian Bach. That was most refreshing indeed.
  2. The lighting was better, both on the ship and overall.
[...]

The battle to film the entire thing at night or during a full eclipse was lost and someone with brains prevailed.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

My good God! I've finally gotten around to watching it.

All I have to say about this episode is............ as soon as they realised Scott was no longer infected with his former STD (Chloe) ......... the stargate instantaneously started to work properly (except that they actually managed to walk through the unstable wormhole of an "incoming" vortex, so infact, they failed miserably in regards to the Stargate canon.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
Haven't read much and I am off for now, but the plants, it reminds me some ridiculous dream i had week ago without me knowing this SGU episode was about plants at all.

There was some plant called satanus carnivorus, when I was at subway, some crazy chick destroyed plant my mother was carrying and she said she would get her new one and when we were returning the chick had this plant called satanus carnivorus, lol.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Matching a donor's blood type and a patient's blood is critical in transfusions.
If someone with type A blood receives type B, he may have a severe hemolytic reaction.
This can destroy many of his red cells and quickly kill him.
While blood-typing and cross matching are now routine, errors do occur. Every year people die of hemolytic reactions.

I guess they got lucky and both of them happen to have the exact same blood type
(a chance of one in eight)
so much for "trying to be realistic and avoid easy fix endings"

Yah but Chloe's blood is !!! MAGIC !!! so it all works out !

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Plant's

Haven't read much and I am off for now, but the plants, it reminds me some ridiculous dream i had week ago without me knowing this SGU episode was about plants at all.

There was some plant called satanus carnivorus, when I was at subway, some crazy chick destroyed plant my mother was carrying and she said she would get her new one and when we were returning the chick had this plant called satanus carnivorus, lol.

Day Of The Triffids comes to mind when I watched this shitty of shittiest episodes . What a sleep fest that was . But Day of The Triffids is an excellent book and movie !

smiley-015.gif

How come that moron was not driving faster to kill that turd scott . Oh right . In British Columbia the pedestrians can step out on the road whenever they want and the driver must give way .