Dominion (aka the war against the angels) Ratings and Predictions (Awards Given)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The funniest part is they cancelled shows like SGA and Sanctuary which pulled better ratings and cost a fraction of what these two dogs cost.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The funniest part is they cancelled shows like SGA and Sanctuary which pulled better ratings and cost a fraction of what these two dogs cost.

Thank you for raising my spirits! :) The recent up-tick in ratings had me feeling blue but the reminder that they are spending lots of money on HUGE casts and sets, along with CGI is music to my ears, or eyes rather. It's only a matter of time before the Budget Monster eats them alive. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thank you for raising my spirits! :) The recent up-tick in ratings had me feeling blue but the reminder that they are spending lots of money on HUGE casts and sets, along with CGI is music to my ears, or eyes rather. It's only a matter of time before the Budget Monster eats them alive. :icon_lol:

Yep. This thing cant last past a SINGLE season. 1.6m is dismal for episode 3 of a new show.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Yep. This thing cant last past a SINGLE season. 1.6m is dismal for episode 3 of a new show.

Maybe, but I think that the budget for Dominion and Defiance may be much lower than the budget for SGU. I have not been able to find a quote for the per episode budget of either Dominion or Defiance.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Maybe, but I think that the budget for Dominion and Defiance may be much lower than the budget for SGU. I have not been able to find a quote for the per episode budget of either Dominion or Defiance.

I think Defiance has to be higher than Dominion because they are using real sets, but I am guessing. SGU was 2 million per episode IIRC. I have nobody I can call at Trion Worlds, or the gaming industry for that matter. But I do have several Industry connections I can tap. Perhaps some numbers on Dominion? I dont know anybody at Syfy or Comcast.

EDIT:

According to this: http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/syfy-bets-105m-tv-series-and-video-game-147622

$40 million has been budgeted for this show, which is part of a $105 million total budget. It does not say if this is per year or for a pre-determined 2 year run.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Defiance is super high budget even with the online game tie in - $105 million is a BIG loss. Dominion is also not cheap, as doing a show with that much CGI drives the cost up. By comparison Sanctuary came in at or under 1 million per episode and delivered higher ratings and SGA came in under 2 million per episode and likewise delivered higher ratings.

Really, if SyFy is ever going to be a profit center on its own they need to put the priority on writing the shows better and less on looking fancy. Then they can run shows on small budgets where the writing would attract the needed audience to turn a profit.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
I think Defiance has to be higher than Dominion because they are using real sets, but I am guessing. SGU was 2 million per episode IIRC. I have nobody I can call at Trion Worlds, or the gaming industry for that matter. But I do have several Industry connections I can tap. Perhaps some numbers on Dominion? I dont know anybody at Syfy or Comcast...

SGU was approximately 3 million per episode. Atlantis and SG-1 were about 2 million per episode.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Defiance is super high budget even with the online game tie in - $105 million is a BIG loss. Dominion is also not cheap, as doing a show with that much CGI drives the cost up. By comparison Sanctuary came in at or under 1 million per episode and delivered higher ratings and SGA came in under 2 million per episode and likewise delivered higher ratings.

Really, if SyFy is ever going to be a profit center on its own they need to put the priority on writing the shows better and less on looking fancy. Then they can run shows on small budgets where the writing would attract the needed audience to turn a profit.

I would add that the large size of the casts for these shows doesn't help the budget either. DEFECATION actually has a lot of people in each episode. And Dominion seems to suffer from the same issue, but maybe not to as great an extent. Still, a large cast is a budget breaker in the long run unless a show is enormously successful.

As for the video game tie in for DEFECATION, well, it looks like they abandoned that as I haven't seen or heard anything about it this season. Are they still running commercials for it during the show? I only have watched bits and pieces of certain episodes as I can't devote a full hour of my life to this turkey. I only ask because this, too, would be a harbinger of how this show is fast approaching its end.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Even better - Mythbusters gets the same demo rating and for the cost of one episode of Dominion they make a whole season of Mythbusters.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Except they have only ordered 11 and 7 fewer episodes respectively.Defiance has 13 episodes. Whereas dominion has only 9(according to wikipedia). Though I think Dominion may have more who knows, but my point was, these guys have fewer episodes.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Did we take a ratings prediction poll for the next episode yet? And if so, when does the show air? I literally have no clue what day or time it's on.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Did we take a ratings prediction poll for the next episode yet? And if so, when does the show air? I literally have no clue what day or time it's on.
The episode has already aired but tvbythenumbers waits for a large chunk of the rating to arrive and then posts them.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh dear....I just tried to watch a bit of the second episode, and I couldnt last 10 minutes. :( This thing would not even have made a good TV movie, let alone a series.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Oh dear....I just tried to watch a bit of the second episode, and I couldnt last 10 minutes. :( This thing would not even have made a good TV movie, let alone a series.

I had the same reaction. I don't think I made it past 5 minutes of the second episode that I watched. The show is just dumb and uninteresting.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I had the same reaction. I don't think I made it past 5 minutes of the second episode that I watched. The show is just dumb and uninteresting.

Wow, the Hollywood Reporter is holding no punches scalding this thing!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/tv-review-dominion-712479

Some gems...

"Syfy's latest drama, Dominion, may be one of the dumbest, worst-acted, most poorly written series I've seen in ages. In no way should this encourage you to tune in hoping to rubberneck this bit of awfulness in hopes of creating some kind of new drinking game."

"It would be generous to say that Syfy's track record with dramas of late has been "spotty." This channel consistently settles for mediocrity and, in this instance, its far sadder cousin."

"Even with Syfy's helpful list of those involved, it's hard to tell who created and wrote this thing and why they should be singled out for scorn. Let's just say three or four people did a very bad thing and leave it at that. I'm reluctant to even list the actors because that can't help, can it? Better to just let Dominion slip off into oblivion and no one will be the wiser, right?"

6a01348977de6f970c01a3fd093174970b.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Coming soon: Tank Girl, the Series :hide;

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Wow, the Hollywood Reporter is holding no punches scalding this thing!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/tv-review-dominion-712479

Some gems...

"Syfy's latest drama, Dominion, may be one of the dumbest, worst-acted, most poorly written series I've seen in ages. In no way should this encourage you to tune in hoping to rubberneck this bit of awfulness in hopes of creating some kind of new drinking game."

"It would be generous to say that Syfy's track record with dramas of late has been "spotty." This channel consistently settles for mediocrity and, in this instance, its far sadder cousin."

"Even with Syfy's helpful list of those involved, it's hard to tell who created and wrote this thing and why they should be singled out for scorn. Let's just say three or four people did a very bad thing and leave it at that. I'm reluctant to even list the actors because that can't help, can it? Better to just let Dominion slip off into oblivion and no one will be the wiser, right?"
The people in the comment section say otherwise...

• sherry7 days ago
    Love Dominion, it is refreshing and exciting. Everyone does a great job especially Tom Wisdom is perfect as Michael, what an outstanding spin he puts on the character.........captivating says it all.
check the comment section facedesk

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ousness-mythbusters-defiance-dominion/281669/