Defiance Ratings and Predictions Thread (Awards Given)

When will Defiance be cancelled by Syfy?

• Midway into the second season, with the remaining episodes airing after cancellation.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • At the end of the second season after all episodes have aired.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Defiance will get a season 3, but will be canceled before season 4.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Defiance will not get canceled.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Unless Syfy has something better in the wings (seriously), it will be renewed.
I am tossing up as a miniseries...Not 13 episodes. It's heading down south though.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Unless Syfy has something better in the wings (seriously), it will be renewed.

This will only happen if TPTB force it to happen. There's so much money already sunk into this thing they simply can't allow it to crash and burn the way Caprica did. They have got to force a quasi-legitimate ending (read: fraudulent) so they can claim the show was a success and milk what they can out of the DVD market. And I wouldn't doubt for one minute that they have the contract with SyFy written in such as way as to ensure them a "successful" ending (although I wouldn't mind one bit if the show did get yanked and flushed overnight).

heisenberg

Earl Grey
This will only happen if TPTB force it to happen. There's so much money already sunk into this thing they simply can't allow it to crash and burn the way Caprica did. They have got to force a quasi-legitimate ending (read: fraudulent) so they can claim the show was a success and milk what they can out of the DVD market. And I wouldn't doubt for one minute that they have the contract with SyFy written in such as way as to ensure them a "successful" ending (although I wouldn't mind one bit if the show did get yanked and flushed overnight).
Exactly why they had a double header. They were hoping that this might get the ratings up, but the ratings fell.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I must have had a psychotic episode because I actually watched both of the Defiance episodes Thursday night.

On the good side the pacing has improved and the acting is a little less wooden. On the bad side the whole overarching season plot makes no sense at all because (as always) of the failure to do any explaining of the show world earlier on. The only thing saving it from being a completely incoherent mess was Nolan having expository dialogue explaining about the ship with Ark brain buried in the mines and explaining how Irisa and the others were being controlled plus how the ship was going to end all life in Earth. But that is not a replacement for the needed but never shown episode explaining the Pale Wars and Arkfall.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I must have had a psychotic episode because I actually watched both of the Defiance episodes Thursday night.

On the good side the pacing has improved and the acting is a little less wooden. On the bad side the whole overarching season plot makes no sense at all because (as always) of the failure to do any explaining of the show world earlier on. The only thing saving it from being a completely incoherent mess was Nolan having expository dialogue explaining about the ship with Ark brain buried in the mines and explaining how Irisa and the others were being controlled plus how the ship was going to end all life in Earth. But that is not a replacement for the needed but never shown episode explaining the Pale Wars and Arkfall.

In order for me to appreciate it's improvements though, one has to sit through the awful season 1 and the episodes that have aired since then. I was watching full episodes and just rolling my eyes, but I could make it through. Then, one of the episodes, I dont remember which, started with two of those Castithans driving through Defiance in a 1970's era convertible, complete with fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror :facepalm:. That was followed by Nolan finding arms and contraband in the trunk. The values and behavior of these so-called "aliens" is over the top. They all seem to be allegories for personality archetypes, rather than individuals from another world.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Defiance Season 2 Episode 12
Jim of WVa - 1.5 million

Defiance Season 2 Episode 13
Jim of WVa - 1.5 million

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Have I missed awarding of any Crystal Balls? Im thinking I missed one.....

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Yup . Gonna get #3 then cancelled as the set is still being guarded so my insider training comes into play here as I live right next to the set lol

:) :) :)

PS ,,, I do not watch it . Sadly it does not interest me what so ever other than its cool to be living right beside the set . I have to find out where the other outdoor location shoots are . I'd like to watch a shoot at least once just out of curiosity and plus its the business my daughter is working to get into . Like I've said before , I pass by it daily and still no stir there as of yesterday -Wed,August27,2014

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
In a freak accident the drinks for the Defiance cast got spiked with LSD and as a result they modeled the finale on a movie they had all viewed together the previous night - the old Italian classic Cannibal Holocaust.

So what happened?

Julie discovered that Stahma killed Kenya. However Datak and Stahma reunite, kill Julie and serve her as a casserole to an unknowing crowd at her business establishment. The main complaint was that everyone kept saying dinner tasted really bland.

Meanwhile, Irisa killed Tommy and then she, Nolan and a total stranger saved the planet. After that, they were hungry and so they found an old bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce in the ruins of Old St Louis and made themselves BBQ Tommy Ribs. In their closing scene, you hear Irisa asking Nolan for some salt.

Meanwhile, Datak's son and daughter in law are kidnapped by Rafe's psychotic wife and son. Rafe, Datak and Stahma take off in hot pursuit with a truck, weapons, a Weber grill and 50 gallons of Teriyaki sauce.

..............And this is actually more logical that what really happened

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Yup . Gonna get #3 then cancelled as the set is still being guarded so my insider training comes into play here as I live right next to the set lol

:) :) :)

PS ,,, I do not watch it . Sadly it does not interest me what so ever other than its cool to be living right beside the set . I have to find out where the other outdoor location shoots are . I'd like to watch a shoot at least once just out of curiosity and plus its the business my daughter is working to get into . Like I've said before , I pass by it daily and still no stir there as of yesterday -Wed,August27,2014
Yeah, they'll probably order a smaller season. Can't see them ordering 13 episodes for this.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well we're headed into Fall so they will have to either get filming or close up shop for the year. And if they wait until next Summer to film they can't expect people to still be into this turd. That's too long a time to wait. So, I think no news from the empty set is good news. Me thinks Cancellation Bear is foraging in the woods around the set in Toronto, looking to get fattened up for Winter. ;)

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
In order for me to appreciate it's improvements though, one has to sit through the awful season 1 and the episodes that have aired since then. I was watching full episodes and just rolling my eyes, but I could make it through. Then, one of the episodes, I dont remember which, started with two of those Castithans driving through Defiance in a 1970's era convertible, complete with fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror :facepalm:. That was followed by Nolan finding arms and contraband in the trunk. The values and behavior of these so-called "aliens" is over the top. They all seem to be allegories for personality archetypes, rather than individuals from another world.

No worse than the Star Trek aliens. If the Klingons were a race of warriors, then who does history, agriculture, science, or poetry?

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
In a freak accident the drinks for the Defiance cast got spiked with LSD and as a result they modeled the finale on a movie they had all viewed together the previous night - the old Italian classic Cannibal Holocaust.

So what happened?

Julie discovered that Stahma killed Kenya. However Datak and Stahma reunite, kill Julie and serve her as a casserole to an unknowing crowd at her business establishment. The main complaint was that everyone kept saying dinner tasted really bland.

The story is an English story (Shakespeare's Titus Adronicus) told about Italian people.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
My Riff was more a combination of Titus Andronicus and Motel Hell.