Corpsicle Treat

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

He has lost the pudge! He looks good thinner like that. :). I think he was being VERY optimistic about the future of SGU's Eli. To me, the entire show seemed to be made up as they went along. From the original "the ship is sentient" to there being a Ancient chair (ascention?), then the "God signal" then Chloe's new River powers...:facepalm:. I dont think they actually had a plan. The only thing that seemed consistent was the sets. I think they were winging it.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Yes, yes he did.
--- merged: Mar 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM ---
He has lost the pudge! He looks good thinner like that. :). I think he was being VERY optimistic about the future of SGU's Eli. To me, the entire show seemed to be made up as they went along. From the original "the ship is sentient" to there being a Ancient chair (ascention?), then the "God signal" then Chloe's new River powers...:facepalm:. I dont think they actually had a plan. The only thing that seemed consistent was the sets. I think they were winging it.

Yeah, he lost the pudge a couple years too late. What a great method actor. :rolleyes: And that was just one of my (valid) gripes with that show; the fact that they were on Destiny for months on end (a year?) with limited supplies yet Eli remained a fat ass. Now anyone with half a brain can do the caloric math (we've been all thru this in the old threads). The caloric output verses the caloric input in that situation simply wouldn't allow for anyone on that ship to hold extra weight. Eli would have been dropping pounds left and right from day #1 on Destiny.

And yes, they were winging it, but it was a crap premise to begin with so it really didn't matter much in the long run.

Christ, just thinking about this shit show is giving me a headache. I've managed to forget about the endless list of things that were wrong with that festering turd but it doesn't take much to remind me why it was so bad. On the upside though we can all look forward to David Blue putting back on the weight he lost cuz people like him always do eventually. :winking0052:

Hey David, care for a Krispy Kreme -- or twelve?

Todd_Stashwick_David_Blue1.jpg

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It's something of a moot point to speculate on what would have happened with Eli as we all know the writers would have come up with some hokey, unbelievable method of keeping him alive for 3 years. Just examining this issue brings up tons of things wrong with the show in general. It also highlights the fact that it was a horrible show and should remain dead and buried.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
you could say the same about EVERY stargate episode EVER!
--- merged: Mar 6, 2013 at 2:08 PM ---
It's something of a moot point to speculate on what would have happened with Eli as we all know the writers would have come up with some hokey, unbelievable method of keeping him alive for 3 years. Just examining this issue brings up tons of things wrong with the show in general. It also highlights the fact that it was a horrible show and should remain dead and buried.
Switch out show for franchise and i completly agree!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
you could say the same about EVERY stargate episode EVER!
--- merged: Mar 6, 2013 at 2:08 PM ---
Switch out show for franchise and i completly agree!

Not really...the Stargate came from beings who had left earth long ago and the mythology in the movie most closely fleshed out the core of Stargate. The series was tacked on by Brad and he made up a lot of the stuff in it like the Goauld, the symbiotes and the Jaffa, which had nothing to do with the Stargate story written by the original authors. But they were hardly "winging it" like they were in SGU.

I think after the Goauld were pushed to the background and the politics of the Tok'ra and the addition of the Ori and the ships and so forth ruined the series franchise.

OMNI

Not really...the Stargate came from beings who had left earth long ago and the mythology in the movie most closely fleshed out the core of Stargate. The series was tacked on by Brad and he made up a lot of the stuff in it like the Goauld, the symbiotes and the Jaffa, which had nothing to do with the Stargate story written by the original authors. But they were hardly "winging it" like they were in SGU.

I think after the Goauld were pushed to the background and the politics of the Tok'ra and the addition of the Ori and the ships and so forth ruined the series franchise.
Yes they were and stating otherwise shows a complete lack of insight and understanding of the writing process used for the SG tv franchise confirmed time and time again by JM.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes they were and stating otherwise shows a complete lack of insight and understanding of the writing process used for the SG tv franchise confirmed time and time again by JM.

Okay, good point. I really never bought Brad's changes from the movie, and I have said so here. Of the three Stargate shows, SG-1 was my favorite, but none of them compare to the story that was started by the movie. I did not like the idea of the SG Team, and I especially hated the whole Goauld/symbiote thing. I did not like the Jaffa, even though they gave us Teal'c.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Do either of you actually, ya know.........*like* stargate :P

YES! I loved it, especially SG-1. Atlantis grabbed me too, but they lost my high interest after killing off Weir. Then they broghe me back with Woolsey. SG-1 made me mad when they introduced the earth ships, but especially when they added Asgard tech which allowed them to do Trek-style beaming and have uber-powerful beam weapons on the earth ships. It was such an obvious bait for the then recently orphaned Trek fans (it happened right after the cancellation of the last Trek series Enterprise). Of course, the movie is my favorite, and I never felt Brad did it justice, cause he dispensed with the Egyptian mythology and created the Goauld and the Jaffa.

I did not hate any of them except Stargate Universe...and I really REALLY hated that show.

OMNI

Do either of you actually, ya know.........*like* stargate :P
not anymore.
post mortem i have come to the insight that it SUCKED and in all honesty it was D rated tv at its best.

F'CK STARGATE! and f'ck you for still being a pissy fanboi! ;)
--- merged: Mar 7, 2013 at 9:53 AM ---
YES! I loved it, especially SG-1. Atlantis grabbed me too, but they lost my high interest after killing off Weir. Then they broghe me back with Woolsey. SG-1 made me mad when they introduced the earth ships, but especially when they added Asgard tech which allowed them to do Trek-style beaming and have uber-powerful beam weapons on the earth ships. It was such an obvious bait for the then recently orphaned Trek fans (it happened right after the cancellation of the last Trek series Enterprise). Of course, the movie is my favorite, and I never felt Brad did it justice, cause he dispensed with the Egyptian mythology and created the Goauld and the Jaffa.

I did not hate any of them except Stargate Universe...and I really REALLY hated that show.
like a goddamn politician you said neither yes or no instead blbbered on about nothing.... :P grow some balls!

OMNI

Okay, good point. I really never bought Brad's changes from the movie, and I have said so here. Of the three Stargate shows, SG-1 was my favorite, but none of them compare to the story that was started by the movie. I did not like the idea of the SG Team, and I especially hated the whole Goauld/symbiote thing. I did not like the Jaffa, even though they gave us Teal'c.
i win! :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Well , if comparing any of the series franchise to the movie, they all sucked. But SG-1 sucked...less. :P

OMNI

Well , if comparing any of the series franchise to the movie, they all sucked. But SG-1 sucked...less. :P
agreed and agreed.

keep in mind i used to be a complete Stargate fanboi i even got into 3D/CG because of it but post mortem i have come to realize just how bad it was.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
agreed and agreed.

keep in mind i used to be a complete Stargate fanboi i even got into 3D/CG because of it but post mortem i have come to realize just how bad it was.

I agree here, after doing two complete rewatches of both SG-1 and Atlantis. I tried to do one of SGU but I couldnt get through it at all. The one which surprised me most by suddenly seeming completely whack was Atlantis. I loved it when it was being aired, but now it just seems...mediocre. I was never the best fan of that show, but now it is even hard to watch. :(

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
SGA only worked for the cast, the writing was............meh.

OMNI

I agree here, after doing two complete rewatches of both SG-1 and Atlantis. I tried to do one of SGU but I couldnt get through it at all. The one which surprised me most by suddenly seeming completely whack was Atlantis. I loved it when it was being aired, but now it just seems...mediocre. I was never the best fan of that show, but now it is even hard to watch. :(
agree completly, imo if there is 1period in the complete run of sg-1 sga and sgu that is watchable and decently written filmed and directed and its the last few episodes of season 7 of SG-1 leading up to "Lost city" for some reson they still hold up for me to some extent as does some other episodes in season 7, i supose it could be related to that it was suposed to be the LAST season and they actually spent some damn money on it polishing it sligthly that particular season.
--- merged: Mar 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM ---
SGA only worked for the cast, the writing was............meh.
agreed. to put it bluntly the stories were a RE-HASH of shit they'd already done in SG-1 for the most part.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
So we're agreed -- we don't give a shit what would have happened to Eli as the show was utter crap from stem to stern. And if we were to give a shit about what happened to Eli we would want it to be the most horrific thing possible, like being sodomized by razor-dicked aliens who then eat him after they are finished. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So we're agreed -- we don't give a shit what would have happened to Eli as the show was utter crap from stem to stern. And if we were to give a shit about what happened to Eli we would want it to be the most horrific thing possible, like being sodomized by razor-dicked aliens who then eat him after they are finished. :)

I sooooooooo wanted Chloe to die in the show. And not just implied, but killed like she was in Time. I looped that scene over many times and elicited a delicious grin on my face. Couldnt we get Chloe blown out of an airlock and watch her writhe in space, with her mouth open in a silent scream? Even a good electrocution would have done. But noooo...she gets to go in the stasis pod. :facepalm: Col Young choking her to death like he did that other dude would have been cool. See, The Walking Dead KNEW that the audience hated Lori. I saw it all over several blogs. So we got a truly satisfying Lori kill, by a zombie too. Closure. No such luck with Chloe. :(

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Weir isn't dead..she is still floating in space in her nannite body-frozen until the next SG show finds her :D

Just think of the posibilities--that Blue is slimming down to GET into character-the character of Eli- post three yr trek (they can say he got the old hydroponics lab going using all of the plants they did save-he found alien ants in them and has been using them for protein and eating the veggies--Hey!! I could be an SGU writer!!!) :crazy homer face:

its what you all what and have been secretely pining for- I can tell :icon_rotflmao:
--- merged: Mar 7, 2013 at 5:39 PM ---
I sooooooooo wanted Chloe to die in the show. And not just implied, but killed like she was in Time. I looped that scene over many times and elicited a delicious grin on my face. Couldnt we get Chloe blown out of an airlock and watch her writhe in space, with her mouth open in a silent scream? Even a good electrocution would have done. But noooo...she gets to go in the stasis pod. :facepalm: Col Young choking her to death like he did that other dude would have been cool. See, The Walking Dead KNEW that the audience hated Lori. I saw it all over several blogs. So we got a truly satisfying Lori kill, by a zombie too. Closure. No such luck with Chloe. :(

Actually :jaded: we never saw the "kill" on Lori-just heard a shot. never saw a body either-or stripped bones for that matter--Lori could make an irksome comeback at anytime

to me that would be worse then a sgu comeback (come to think of it, TWD sucks way worse then SGU as far as straight out entertainment and other issues)
--- merged: Mar 7, 2013 at 5:43 PM ---

SGU was absolutely easy to watch..so long as it is at "your command" and you have a working fast forward button
:rolleye0014: hell i watched both seasons in 8 days a few hrs a day.just ff passed all the "stoning to earth" junk and any and all love scenes as they held no "sci fi" plot content. boil that stuff out and every ep goes from being 42mins to about 20-"easy-peesy"