Cat Lovers Thread

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Is that bobcat alive in the photo? I hope so. :(. Here are a couple of Maine Coons showing how they react to water:

This one swims in a pool.

This one just likes to chill in the water.

my cousin had a maine coon a very long time ago

the thing would swim with us in their pool nearly all the time

i like them because they are so large yet still very friendly

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
One thing about Apophis, he's a biter. He likes to attack everything that moves. When I try to pet him, often he will grab my hand with his claws and start chewing on my wrist. It is playful but really he claws and bites a bit too hard for even my taste. When he does I slap him in the face or on the head, but that makes him chow down even harder. So then I slap him a little harder. This can go back and forth a few times until he finally lets go. Anyone got any ideas on how to train him to play more gently?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
One thing about Apophis, he's a biter. He likes to attack everything that moves. When I try to pet him, often he will grab my hand with his claws and start chewing on my wrist. It is playful but really he claws and bites a bit too hard for even my taste. When he does I slap him in the face or on the head, but that makes him chow down even harder. So then I slap him a little harder. This can go back and forth a few times until he finally lets go. Anyone got any ideas on how to train him to play more gently?

Yes, he is a kitten and he is teething. When he bites, say loudly "OW! or OUCH!" and stop playing with him immediately and walk away from him for a few minutes. Repeat that every time he bites, and he will make the connection. I had to do this with Fisher, and Fisher was already an adult and he learned to stop biting. Also, make sure he has several scratching posts/things to claw at.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
T
Yes, he is a kitten and he is teething. When he bites, say loudly "OW! or OUCH!" and stop playing with him immediately and walk away from him for a few minutes. Repeat that every time he bites, and he will make the connection. I had to do this with Fisher, and Fisher was already an adult and he learned to stop biting. Also, make sure he has several scratching posts/things to claw at.

Thanks. The problem is though that when you try to pull your hand away he will dig in even deeper and harder. I will try yelling.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
This is what my hand and arm look like right now.

IMG_20190221_132133.jpg

IMG_20190221_132137.jpg

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
T

Thanks. The problem is though that when you try to pull your hand away he will dig in even deeper and harder. I will try yelling.

when the two cats we have now were younger they were doing the little bite/scratch thing. found online (and i cant find it now---errr aggravating!!) to make a sound like the mom cat would when she disciplines them

it is a quick sound between your closed teeth and lips repeated rapidly

almost like you are spitting but not

like "tut,tut,tut' kind of thing

it worked for a bit once i found the right sound and rhythm..or close enough. if it works the kitten will stop what it is doing and tuck its ears down

there is video on youtube somewhere..cant remember what search phrase i used though

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The problem is though that when you try to pull your hand away he will dig in even deeper and harder.

you can also try the method that you can use on dogs for this

just push your hand back towards its mouth, many times they will release

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
you can also try the method that you can use on dogs for this

just push your hand back towards its mouth, many times they will release
Yes, I'm already applying that one. But it doesn't work every time, or rather it does usually work but at a price. Hence the state of my hand.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
when the two cats we have now were younger they were doing the little bite/scratch thing. found online (and i cant find it now---errr aggravating!!) to make a sound like the mom cat would when she disciplines them

it is a quick sound between your closed teeth and lips repeated rapidly

almost like you are spitting but not

like "tut,tut,tut' kind of thing

it worked for a bit once i found the right sound and rhythm..or close enough. if it works the kitten will stop what it is doing and tuck its ears down

there is video on youtube somewhere..cant remember what search phrase i used though

A good old hiss works just as well.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, I'm already applying that one. But it doesn't work every time, or rather it does usually work but at a price. Hence the state of my hand.

The cat will remember sudden reactions longer. A swat is not going to work for a cat. But hissing or expressing injury or stopping interaction will.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
water spray bottle or spritzer together with a 'no'

they hate it

now they usually run just when they see the bottle in my hand

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

they hate it

Yep, the spray bottle works too! But I use a spray bottle to spray fur conditioner on Siete so I don't want him afraid of the bottles. :) He is an older guy now, and he knows what I don't like so I don't really have to do any discipline anymore.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yep, the spray bottle works too! But I use a spray bottle to spray fur conditioner on Siete so I don't want him afraid of the bottles. :) He is an older guy now, and he knows what I don't like so I don't really have to do any discipline anymore.

these 2 guys will be a year old in the summer

hoping that they have learned and calm down by then. so far, they seem to be headed that way

i need to get some pics and put them up

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan

they hate it

We do use the spray bottle. For example when he's trying to chew on wires. Qetesh and Ba'al know what the bottle means. Apophis is getting there but has some way to go.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Here's some new pictures of our kitties.

Qetesh is as always a pretty lady.

Qetesh.jpg

And Apophis is such a cutie.

Apophis 1.jpg

But this is what he seems to like to do most of all.

Apophis 2.jpg

But still, so cute.

Apophis 3.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here's some new pictures of our kitties.

Qetesh is as always a pretty lady.

View attachment 35111

And Apophis is such a cutie.

View attachment 35112

But this is what he seems to like to do most of all.

View attachment 35113

But still, so cute.

View attachment 35114

Awww...so cute! Quetesh is a sweetie. Apophis is just teething, and you will probably notice that he is giving you love bites that don't break the skin. Not unusual. He is about as Maine Coon as Maine Coons get, such well-pronounced ear tufts! You might try gettting some little foam balls or other small toy, and try and get him to fetch it for you. Maine Coons can learn to play fetch.

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
We have some cat toys and he plays with them, but he doesn't fetch. In fact he doesn't listen at all to anything I say and doesn't respond to gestures and sounds I make to my hand either. Other than viciously attacking it sometimes that is. He does give love bites but also tends to start biting harder. He is very handsome though .I particularly like the black dots on his snout.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
We have some cat toys and he plays with them, but he doesn't fetch. In fact he doesn't listen at all to anything I say and doesn't respond to gestures and sounds I make to my hand either. Other than viciously attacking it sometimes that is. He does give love bites but also tends to start biting harder. He is very handsome though .I particularly like the black dots on his snout.

Does he have a favorite toy yet? Once you know what that one is, take it and put all the others away, then try a few sessions each day. Use treats to reinforce him bringing the toy back to you.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Does he have a favorite toy yet? Once you know what that one is, take it and put all the others away, then try a few sessions each day. Use treats to reinforce him bringing the toy back to you.
No, he goes for anything that's lying on the floor and for anything that moves. I'm surprised he doesn't grab my ankles when I walk by. He really liked a piece of sisal rope a lot in the beginning, but that's not suitable for fetching.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No, he goes for anything that's lying on the floor and for anything that moves. I'm surprised he doesn't grab my ankles when I walk by. He really liked a piece of sisal rope a lot in the beginning, but that's not suitable for fetching.

He will show you what his favorite toy is. :) It might end up being one of your socks! I get the little three pack of foam balls, but Siete does not get the crazies anymore cause he is older now. But he still has his beloved little foam soccer ball. The thing is pathetic looking! I didn't know that foam balls could shrivel over time.