B5 is now available on Amazon Prime

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Every season except 3...what the hell?

and the B5 movies, 6 in all, are also available and presented as 'episodes'

I don't know when the switch was made to free for Prime members, but when I checked yesterday, June 1st, they were

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan

I don't know when the switch was made to free for Prime members, but when I checked yesterday, June 1st, they were

Good luck on deciding at which time you watch the movies. There apparently is no love in showing the Ranger series as short as it was.

Season 3? Maybe that was the best of the bunch! Action Jackson time for the kiddies. Maybe that was a glitch that has been fixed.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
the Ranger series as short as it was.

was that CRUSADE?

Maybe that was a glitch

my first thought too.

however, i looked at a few pages for "best rated season of b5" and didn't really get what i was looking for

it is the season where B5 breaks away from EARTHFORCE and Sheridan and DeLenn start some butt kicking...

a note on the amazon collection

as it states in the below linked article, the movie THE GATHERING is basically a re cut of the pilot show. apparently the pilot in its original form is hard to find(?) this article states that in it if you see Sinclair walking through the alien sector like it is a zoo, then you got the original

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/babylon-5/40535/babylon-5s-greatest-episodes

while, that original is on amazon as S1 EP 0

And, IMO i think the doctor in the pilot was a far better actor then the guy they got for the series..the original guy was like Mr Cool on Ice with greased shoes..the replacement was a bit of a over actor again JIMO

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
B5 remake (mentioned in here http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/babylon-5/40535/babylon-5s-greatest-episodes )

is this really necessary? i mean is anyone repainting the Mona Lisa?

all i can find is talk of a J Mike Strac made B5 movie not a whole new series

http://www.filmbuffonline.com/FBOLN...ushed-back-rising-stars-officially-announced/

to me, this movie would be far more interesting as a continuation, in real time, of the situation of the B5 "universe" from when we last saw it...NOT a complete re-do

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
was that CRUSADE?

... my first thought too.

as it states in the below linked article, the movie THE GATHERING is basically a re cut of the pilot show. apparently the pilot in its original form is hard to find(?) this article states that in it if you see Sinclair walking through the alien sector like it is a zoo, then you got the original

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/babylon-5/40535/babylon-5s-greatest-episodes

while, that original is on amazon as S1 EP 0

And, IMO i think the doctor in the pilot was a far better actor then the guy they got for the series..the original guy was like Mr Cool on Ice with greased shoes..the replacement was a bit of a over actor again JIMO

Crusade, yes.

There is a B5 forum still in existence.

I came across this, some 5 - 10 years back.

Season 3 is the best in my opinion. "Jump". Between "Buffy" and "B5" you might pick-up a whole lot of under tones if you faithfully watched "LOST".

Poor Sinclair, he seemed so laid - back, but in reality the actor was just gritting his teeth and trying to hold on to the rest of the day.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
interesting

SYFY rates B5 #1 out of 25 for best sci fi shows "ever"

above their own produced shows

<<they do however have a disclaimer--like a millennial "everyone gets a trophy thing"-- that all shows are equal to them. yeah, how's DOMINION fare with that comment?? >>

for once, my opinion on something is not so radically out of kilter with others :)

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-25-greatest-tv-series-of-the-past-25-years

number 20 /40 on rollingstone's. (though they include quite a few shows that I wouldn't call sci fi )

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/lis...20160526/the-twilight-zone-1959-1964-20160524

and 23/50 on popular mechanics

https://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/movies/g156/the-50-greatest-sci-fi-tv-shows/?slide=28

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Crusade, yes.

There is a B5 forum still in existence.

I came across this, some 5 - 10 years back.

Season 3 is the best in my opinion. "Jump". Between "Buffy" and "B5" you might pick-up a whole lot of under tones if you faithfully watched "LOST".

Poor Sinclair, he seemed so laid - back, but in reality the actor was just gritting his teeth and trying to hold on to the rest of the day.

those quotes are some of the best

then the intangibles-- like Garibaldi's demeanor and the interaction between Londo and Vir and Londo and G'Kar, the personality of Ivanova and Bester's "better then you attitude"--all so memorable

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
those quotes are some of the best

then the intangibles-- like Garibaldi's demeanor and the interaction between Londo and Vir and Londo and G'Kar, the personality of Ivanova and Bester's "better then you attitude"--all so memorable

There are a couple of Zathro's best lines. I remember the older doctor, but Patricia Talman being replaced in the pilot episode by Andrea, who ended up becoming Gerry Doyle's wife.

Just remember that Ivanova knows best.

My favourite saying from Delenne, even after all these years,"Don't look away, Captain. All life is transitory, a dream. We all come together in the same place, at the end of time. If I don't see you again here, I will see you, in a little while, in a place where no shadows fall."

Delenn, Confessions and Lamentations

I am not watching on Prime. I was watching some of my favourite clips on You Tube though.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

so the S3 thing IS a glitch

did a chat with cust spt

they told me to remove amazon from my roku then reload the app

yup..now i got it

i have never had to do this with amazon or hulu before...got to do it with netflix ALL THE TIME

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
This sounds like maybe I should try to watch this again, I just hope it is not too dated for the likes of even bad scifi FX in 2018 of which I am used to, since I never saw this before, except for maybe an ep or so.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Not sure how many times I tried to watch B5 but I never got the bug . It was just like DS9 . Never got the bug to watch it . Found them both oddly strange and a group of characters that I would never care about or there adventures .

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Not sure how many times I tried to watch B5 but I never got the bug . It was just like DS9 . Never got the bug to watch it . Found them both oddly strange and a group of characters that I would never care about or there adventures .

and you sir need to just turn around and crawl right back under that rock you were under.....

:)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

DS9 was built on what came before it in the STAR TREK canon

B5 was a whole new thing- no legacy of living up to Kirk, Spock or Picard, et al

the characters in B5 are also, to me, more grounded and has a relatedness with real ppl of today. even the aliens and their races each represent a diff part of today's humanity. greed, power, altruism..each race is more or less specialized with one of these as their main racial motive.

now it is true there are some similarities--there is a story going around about how Straczinski (spelling ?) was going to be involved with DS9 or that someone who was a TPTB with DS9 was going to be involved in B5 and that things got 'borrowed'

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This sounds like maybe I should try to watch this again, I just hope it is not too dated for the likes of even bad scifi FX in 2018 of which I am used to, since I never saw this before, except for maybe an ep or so.

IMO the SFX of B5 were a bit unrefined and could have been grander even for the time it was made

but i think that 1-TPTB's wanted the story more focused on story then FX and that 2- the cost of more spectacle would have been probitive to the production

so they picked a middle ground

also, the show started on the new PTEN network
(anyone even remember that?)

probably not a ot of money either

in S4 or 5 or so, TNT picked up B5 and then a bit more money was put into things though the SFX still never got outlandish

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I forgot just how many references to Tolkien's works are in B5

Even the obscure, less read stuff from SILMARILLION

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
IMO the SFX of B5 were a bit unrefined and could have been grander even for the time it was made

but i think that 1-TPTB's wanted the story more focused on story then FX and that 2- the cost of more spectacle would have been probitive to the production

so they picked a middle ground

also, the show started on the new PTEN network
(anyone even remember that?)

probably not a ot of money either

in S4 or 5 or so, TNT picked up B5 and then a bit more money was put into things though the SFX still never got outlandish

B5 could be successfully REMADE (not rebooted)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
B5 could be successfully REMADE (not rebooted)

if a successful remake would only be judged on newer sfx then not interested

it would need a plot and writing/acting equal to or exceeding the original

and you just know it would be LITTERED with shipping and SJW issues

speaking of, for the time it was made, remember how they had to be oh so 'surface' with the lesbian relationship between Talia Winters and Ivanova? 20 yrs and times have changed..

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
if a successful remake would only be judged on newer sfx then not interested

it would need a plot and writing/acting equal to or exceeding the original

and you just know it would be LITTERED with shipping and SJW issues

speaking of, for the time it was made, remember how they had to be oh so 'surface' with the lesbian relationship between Talia Winters and Ivanova? 20 yrs and times have changed..
The difference with B5 is that it is already a complete story. Like The Expanse. That is why it can only be remade and not rebooted. I am not interested in a new story for B5, but yeah update the graphics.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan

I remember watching B5 around '96. First show I watched I gave up on the show thinking that this was some good awful Italian sci-fi show. Luckily there were only a few shows that I watched on TV so I went back.

Something happened after season 4 because I lost season 5 and it took about 5 years for me to see it.

... And there is twenty years of books and movies that can be padded if Stracinski wants to do a re-boot. Just remember that he wrote some of the "Sense8" episodes so we don't know in which direction he will go.