ANDOR: Star Wars

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
this is from 9 months ago and, by all accounts,still in production

also known around the web as the "Rogue One prequel series"

story will be focused around Rebel intel officer Cassian Andor. To be reprised by same actor from Rogue One

"Mic, key O-V-E-R-S-A-T-U-R-A-T-I-O-N! Boys and girls!!"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
this is from 9 months ago and, by all accounts,still in production

also known around the web as the "Rogue One prequel series"

story will be focused around Rebel intel officer Cassian Andor. To be reprised by same actor from Rogue One

"Mic, key O-V-E-R-S-A-T-U-R-A-T-I-O-N! Boys and girls!!"

Is there an audience for this?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Is there an audience for this?

a small one-this smells to me like a SOLO type of project. use a supporting character and build a story. i am betting that like they did in SOLO, they will have far more interesting, and 'important' characters that he interacts with

people like Mon Mothma, Saw Guerra, Bail Organa and the like

i wont be on the edge of my seat waiting for new eps, but i would probably binge it after

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Here it is! r

New Star Wars show based on the exploits of Rebel intel operator Cassian Andor (Rogue One)

First official "info trailer" on the show, looks like they are getting along in production. No word on release date

Critics of this and other SW's shows to come have said how can a whole series be based around one character? Well as in Mandalorian, we have seen how.

I am sure he will have his missions and in these he may very well interact with characters we know from other films or shows, and most likely, more stuff out of Legends

Very possible he may have interaction with characters from REBELS so yet another opportunity for us to see them in live action

How cool would it be to have him interacting with Alexsandr Kallus,, before or after he flipped from imperial to rebel?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Kenobi to appear in ANDOR?

View: https://youtu.be/57B3ZAnOjJs?t=94

Seems more and more that this show will not be just about the exploits of Rebel Intel officer Cassian Andor, but a kind of 'clearinghouse' show where we may see all kinds of characters new and old cross paths or on separate plot lines

It could be, I hate to use this word talking about fiction-- an "important" show for SW's fans if it does do this

S2 to begin filming this fall, maybe even filming for S3 as filming is scheduled to last for 18 months

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jr6YDbUDao

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well,,, there was NO HINT of any of this coming. Looks like near total originality- not a Skywalker in sight!

Far more use ,and in live action, of the different echelons of the Imperial military/ allied Planetary militias and not just the same old white armored stormies

Releases August 31st, so a little of a gap between end of KENOBI and it. BTW, is it too much to ask to have more than one SW's show on at a time?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5UX1Adanis

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Gotta say, that trailer does make it look mighty good! I hope the show lives up to the trailer.

Saw Forest Whitaker in there. Nice! I like him. I hope he has a decent recurring role, not a little one-off thing. Stellan Skarsgård looks good in the trailer too. You've whet my appetite, YJ02. Looking forward to this now.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Gotta say, that trailer does make it look mighty good! I hope the show lives up to the trailer.

Saw Forest Whitaker in there. Nice! I like him. I hope he has a decent recurring role, not a little one-off thing. Stellan Skarsgård looks good in the trailer too. You've whet my appetite, YJ02. Looking forward to this now.
i know it looks very visually pleasing. for ANDOR too, TPTBs chose to not use the same filming method as the did with MANDALORIAN, BOBA, and OBI WAN, the "wall" tech that eliminated the need for so many physical locations sets

they filmed Andor mostly on set at real locations instead

And-
The 2nd season of the BAD BATCH comes out a few weeks after ANDOR, so they will be 'new' at the same time-- how to say this for a streaming on demand service? just say they will air at the same time. first time this has happened with DISNEY+ SWs

BAD BATCH S2 will also overlap in setting time and perhaps with some plot overlap as well (other than the overall grand plot that is)

at least this is the info that STARWARS MEG has been putting out on YT, and she has been pretty much on detail with her info so far on all the shows
her most recent video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwKENKtrzLE

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
ANDOR debut with first 3 eps

I liked it, the kind of story that clicks into the "Its a big Galaxy" saying and stays WELL away from Jedi and Sith and Skywalker's

the Galaxy is full of people; people make the Empire, the Corporations, the Criminal Syndicates and the Rebellion what they are. Stories should be about people, not just bright shiny objects and pew-pew

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This guy does not get Star Wars, guess he has been living a lie this whole time thinking he did get it

in short, he is the kind of fan who sees the Death Star exploding and only saw a "Evil Sphere" blowing up Instead of seeing a Battle Station full of hundreds of thousands of humans; military, technicians, contractors and probably family members

the kind of fan who cannot handle deeper meaning and thought to the plot line of a story. the one who only lives for explosions and Light Sabers and silly Jedi Mind tricks

I don't believe this guy actually said he didn't like the show because "none of the characters mentioned the Force at all..." and then make the pronouncement that its not Star Wars because of that

I bet he LOVED the Sequel trilogy; probably has a Kylo Ren poster on his bedroom wall

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq0fINRe4vE&t=555s

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Andor is a bit slow moving and feels kinda like Blade Runner with Andor in the Decker role. But it isn't outright bad so far. Have to see how it goes.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Andor is a bit slow moving and feels kinda like Blade Runner with Andor in the Decker role. But it isn't outright bad so far. Have to see how it goes.
I have Disney+, but for some reason I don't click the Andor tile! I have been waiting to hear things like this from people who have watched it. Most of them are saying what you have just said, that it is slow moving. Others use the word boring. Perhaps I will watch it today.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Just watched two episodes. My thought just now is, this is rather slow. The trailer looked extremely promising, but so far I'm not recognizing that in the show. Hoping it'll still work out better.

I intentionally ignored this thread until having watched some of it. Interesting that Joelist also commented on the slowness, as apparently have other people. What are your thoughts so far @YJ02?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I think it's good visually. Looks quite realistic. Not CGI. Believable.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Just watched two episodes. My thought just now is, this is rather slow. The trailer looked extremely promising, but so far I'm not recognizing that in the show. Hoping it'll still work out better.

I intentionally ignored this thread until having watched some of it. Interesting that Joelist also commented on the slowness, as apparently have other people. What are your thoughts so far @YJ02?
i think its great..really

and though i understand why some do not like it, i find THEIR (meaning no one here) reasons childish

-- "" no one mentions the Force, or Jedi, or Darth Vader. No one said anything about the Emperor""

and a lot of the "there's not enough pew-pew" comments

i mean grow up.. there is a LOT of other sci fi out there packed full of action and pew pew (and someone remind these people SW's IS fantasy!)

Why is it 'great' imo opinion, so far?

well
1- backstory for a well liked character from a well liked movie. A character we know has a firm 'end date'. Where did he come from, whats his motivation? Who got him into the Rebellion?

2- A lot of the 'side show' of both daily life in the big galaxy; the inner workings of the ISB which we have never seen befor,e and so far no fall back on filling the set with storm troopers as visual shorthand when we know from canon that storm troopers were one of the smallest units of the Imperial military. Corpo's and Imperial Army (like the unit Solo was in) made up the bulk of the military

3- Look at the inside of the Rebel movement and I think we will see more than one cell. We have seen one on its own before in REBELS before it linked up with the larger Rebellion. They each have diff motivations, some are more violent and extreme but all will come together- how? will they show this?

4- and of course, No Skywalkers, no Jedi, no Sith, no Force, no Death Star... well there might be a Jedi...

and all of the antiques in Lutheran's store.. bringing so much into canon by default, like Starkiller, or at least his mask

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm kinda scratching my head here.

All I said was it felt a little like Blade Runner and that it is slow paced. I don't mind it but it does feel a bit flabby in the writing and I can wish it were more tightly scripted.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well know,, EP 6, wondering if old boy Josh at DEN OF NERDS has reconsidered his position?

IMO a great episode,, lots a drastic changes in characters motivations.. their pasts.. their futures

interesting insights into Imps and how they are NOT mind numbed automatons but men and women not comic book level intrinsically evil - like Palpatine, who are just doing the job they have always been told is their duty to do; what is right to do. And how those on what we know as the viewer to be the 'good guys' may not always be so...

AND..... a small but I think great detail is how this show is picking up so much from LEGENDS and I think even fan fiction and putting into live action

when you watched and saw the Imperial reaction; specifically the brief scene of the TIE Pilots doing start up pre flight and checks, it is a near scene by scene dupe from the YT fan made SW's film TIE FIGHTER from 2015. it has over 12 million views so very possible the people at LucasArts know about it

linked in to that part:
TIE FIGHTER:
View: https://youtu.be/PN_CP4SuoTU?t=86

ANDOR:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoEUFsv6Bkw

View: https://youtu.be/PN_CP4SuoTU?t=96

@Joelist @Lord Ba'al

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Ah. I still haven't proceeded beyond episode three. TV's been on the back burner lately.