Young unappreciation thread

V

Victor2407

LOL, I can't believe I am the first posting in this section! :D
I just digged up an old thread with Google cached pages and thought I post a post from circle sqare circle here. It contains all you need to know about Young:

circle square circle said:
He sucks.

He impregnated a subordinate officer while still married.
He used Telford's body to have sex with his wife and then used someone else's body to punch Telford.
He didn't shoot Rush when he had the chance. ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The character of Young comes across as developmentally disabled. I'm not saying that to be insulting, I'm saying it because it's true. I don't know if the actor just lacks chops or what but he portrays the character as a simpleton. Young always has this mildly confused "What the Hell is going on?" sort of look on his face. The scene with him darning a sock could only imply that he has had to take a "Life Skills" class as part of his special education while growing up. The only thing Young should be in command of is the cleaning of dirty tables in a mall food court.

Deity59

GateFans Noob
No one has posted here because the character of Young is so poorly written no one can be bothered to point out how much it sucks. I don't have the time to write all that is wrong and no one else would have the patience to read it all.

SFTech

GateFans Noob
shavedape said:
The character of Young comes across as developmentally disabled. I'm not saying that to be insulting, I'm saying it because it's true. I don't know if the actor just lacks chops or what but he portrays the character as a simpleton. Young always has this mildly confused "What the Hell is going on?" sort of look on his face. The scene with him darning a sock could only imply that he has had to take a "Life Skills" class as part of his special education while growing up. The only thing Young should be in command of is the cleaning of dirty tables in a mall food court.

LOL!!! You killed me with that! I was howling with laughter. Hit the nail right in the head. I'm sure LF goes for badass but he really does come accross as special. His unfortunate resemblance to a pug doesn't help (it's the deviating eyes)

I hate his character so much, more than I thought it was possible to hate a fictional character. I just can't believe that he has fans.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Like this?

Hahaha - like this:

aaYoung.jpg

And I've been saying this for a year now:

aaMozz.png

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
More reasons to hate Young.

He doesn't listen to advise from experts, in the episode of Space the weapon system was overloading and possibly could have destroyed the ship, he said 'I have no choice' so in that moment facing an alien invasion he was willing to destroy the ship and everyone onboard.

However the episode Incursion he clearly switches around, when actually boarded by enemy forces he switches from "I'll destroy this ship before they set foot on it" to "well they are here now let's make them comfy" (See if the aliens actually boarded the ship Young would have given them a chance to surrender, silly aliens). He does not have any back up plans and to quote Jack O'neill "Since when has plan A ever worked?" meaning that he lacks any tactical foresight or can foresee any possible dangerous comes or enact any measures to counter them.

Please note, by offering a chance for the Lucien Alliance to surrender Young again neglects some factors. Food and water, by having an additional 30 or so people on board could stretch those resources to breaking point, as they may not know when the next planet will be and if it will house edible nutrition for humans. Again the number of people on board the vessel cannot ever hope to contain that number of prisoners, and placing them on another planet is a death sentence (again refering to my above, they do not know if the next planet will be habitable for any lengthly period of time).

When questioning people on informantion, for example he didn't ask Telford or even mention, "do the Lucien Alliance know how to open doors?" since Telford has been feeding them every piece of information about Destiny Young didn't inquire on how much do they actually know.

Despite coming out of an injury he decides to do some extremely heavy lifting on an ice alien planet which has a toxic atmosphere, again further compounding his dumb almost lemming nature.

He also lacks any basic medical knowledge, any person who has done a first aid course will know this. When doing CPR it requires two actions, heart compressions and artificial respiration. Young being a rock stupid idiot, decides that heart compressions are all you need to revive a man who has been in a vaccum for several minutes and who's lungs have been depleted of air.

I'm sure someone else can find more, but my eye is twitching now.

Yllek

GateFans Noob
Louis Ferreira: Yeah, you know, the thing for me was I just kind of wanted the show to be out a little bit more, because I know that there’s this transition phase. Let’s put it this way: I’m a sensitive person and I know that I would rather be going somewhere where the idea is that people know the show and know the character. And because, like I say, I love to have a good time, I don’t want to be defending the show, feeling like I’m somehow taking away the show that these other people [loved].
Does that make sense? I’m just trying to be respectful to myself, because what I want to do is just have a great time with people who actually like SGU, and just enjoy that. I know that those guys are having a great time doing it, so my thing is …
GW: Wait until the water’s warm?
LF: Yeah, maybe. But even more than that, it’s more like just having two seasons — that makes sense to me, because then you’ve just had enough time to get to really know the characters a little bit more. That’s just the decision I’m making

I read it twice and I have no idea what he's saying. Oh hang on, three times is indeed a charm.

He's not going to Stargate conventions because the response to SGU so far has been a wee bit frosty and he likes it hot, so he's gonna wait at least two years for the fans to thaw?

Well, bring your mittens, Louis.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but I did want to say this:

After listening to the interview I developed a little more respect for LF. It could just be me but from what he said it seems to me that he wouldn't go to con's yet, more for the fact that the show is only 1 season old and such a departure from what came before that the SGU actors shouldn't really be at Con's as of yet.

Yllek

GateFans Noob
Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but I did want to say this:

After listening to the interview I developed a little more respect for LF. It could just be me but from what he said it seems to me that he wouldn't go to con's yet, more for the fact that the show is only 1 season old and such a departure from what came before that the SGU actors shouldn't really be at Con's as of yet.

Oh I have a lot of respect for LF. I saw an earlier interview with him and he's an incredibly nice guy. But his character Young ... I can see why it would take two years for the fans to warm up to him - if at all.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
Oh I have a lot of respect for LF. I saw an earlier interview with him and he's an incredibly nice guy. But his character Young ... I can see why it would take two years for the fans to warm up to him - if at all.
That's the thing about SGU- they've got a lot of good people for their cast, but the show doesn't really do anything with them and just shoves this boring glacier of crap at us. I feel bad for a lot of these actors because they're gonna get screwed over when the show gets canceled and people associate them with it.

Lilith

GateFans Noob
They will be in the same boat as the cast of SGA.

I agree that SGU had actors whose other bodies of work I enjoyed. The writing is so bad that these actors can not rise above it.

Cancellation is the name of game here. It's and ify profession at best especially for the unknown castmates. The SGA actors had less information to gauge their future than these guys do.

sp23

GateFans Noob
I rewatched Intervention on my computer (so much easier to see through the gloom), and I found a couple things in the previouslies interesting. First they show Young spouting:

"I'm not surrendering this ship!"

which, of course, he immediately does. Then they show him saying:

"I'm going to save every one of those hostages, and I'm going to retake this ship."

However, in reality, he does nothing of the sort. Instead he gets himself and everyone but a very few thrown off the ship onto a barely habitable planet where they all would have died in pretty short order.

So I'm curious. Why did they pick those two scenes to insert into the previouslies, and what does this mean in terms of the Young continuing as the 'leader' of this group of misfits? Greer & Scott were more effective militarily, and Rush was far more effective in playing chicken with the LA and getting them to back down and surrender. Young showed himself to be completely ineffective in both instances. I just cannot imagine how the writers are going to keep this nitwit as the leader, especially since they now have Telford onboard, who I think would be a far more capable leader and who also knows the inner workings of the LA.

Frankly, like most of you, I don't much like any of these people. But of all of them, Young is by far my least liked character. I have no respect for bumbling fools who are in charge, and, as far as I can see, that's all Young is. Why the hell O'Neill would have ever wanted to put this goof in charge of the Destiny project in the first place is beyond me. At least one thing's in Young's favor. He knew he didn't have the command and leadership capability to take the post. Too bad he ended up with it anyway because he has surely reached the level of his incompetence here.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I remember saying this on the first vB forum, but out of all of the actors that have had to answer some tricky questions, he's done the best job of either staying neutral or promoting the show without stepping on any toes. He's smart. I have to respect that and give him credit for that.

I like the part where he said that it's not The Jetsons. The Destiny isn't some "cool ship" that everybody loves (and that has all of the amenities of Atlantis). It's a an abandoned ship, not a city - there's a difference - and they should stick to that or fall even deeper into incredulity (they've already gone past what I thought rock bottom was, really).

As can be expected, Brian J. Smith was the worst part of that interview. At the beginning while he was talking, I found myself more interested in what was going on with David Blue in the background. Not good for what's supposed to be the dashing lead that women want and men want to be like. :icon_e_confused:

He had the nerve to say that the characters on SGU are like "family" which is obviously a grab at how SGA and SG-1 casts have been described by fans. The first thing that was interesting to me was that he was interested in using the term "Sci-Fi" again. Hmm. Someone must have told him that the strategy for tricking people into this show has changed again, so he's going to have to get used to using those icky Sci-Fi words like "alien" and such. :eek: :icon_e_wink:

Anyhoo, back on topic. Lou F. seems okay as a person to me. I've got nothing against him, and I wish him the best. He said that SGU isn't about characters that are trying to be "liked on a TV show," but that it's about what's real or something. I understand what he's saying, but the reality of the situation is that these ARE characters on a TV show, and their likability is very much a factor for the show's success. Still, I get what he means. The creators have a story to tell, and they are telling it. In spite of how bad it is, they are telling it.

Cheers.

:laughing:yep alien is just "icky"...:P

I feel for LF...the man is playing a tromented loser...his wife was cheating on him with LDP (and I can't blame her...if I had to pick from the two men:P) and his former lover is falling for Mike Dopud(...again can't blame her one bit!) poor guy is going have only chloe left as a choice! :P

I expected more from the star of "Prom Night II" :sam01:

forgot that one! :rotflmao:

I rewatched Intervention on my computer (so much easier to see through the gloom), and I found a couple things in the previouslies interesting. First they show Young spouting:

"I'm not surrendering this ship!"

which, of course, he immediately does. Then they show him saying:

"I'm going to save every one of those hostages, and I'm going to retake this ship."

However, in reality, he does nothing of the sort. Instead he gets himself and everyone but a very few thrown off the ship onto a barely habitable planet where they all would have died in pretty short order.

So I'm curious. Why did they pick those two scenes to insert into the previouslies, and what does this mean in terms of the Young continuing as the 'leader' of this group of misfits? Greer & Scott were more effective militarily, and Rush was far more effective in playing chicken with the LA and getting them to back down and surrender. Young showed himself to be completely ineffective in both instances. I just cannot imagine how the writers are going to keep this nitwit as the leader, especially since they now have Telford onboard, who I think would be a far more capable leader and who also knows the inner workings of the LA.

Frankly, like most of you, I don't much like any of these people. But of all of them, Young is by far my least liked character. I have no respect for bumbling fools who are in charge, and, as far as I can see, that's all Young is. Why the hell O'Neill would have ever wanted to put this goof in charge of the Destiny project in the first place is beyond me. At least one thing's in Young's favor. He knew he didn't have the command and leadership capability to take the post. Too bad he ended up with it anyway because he has surely reached the level of his incompetence here.
Spot on! definitely reached the level of his incompetence! ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's all part and parcel with what's wrong with SGU. Young is completely unbelievable as a military officer, much less an officer who supposedly passed the rigorous (per SG:1) screening and training to be part of the Stargate program.