Xbox One full details revealed

heisenberg

Earl Grey

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I think I'm done with XBox - already had two of them fail on me. My Nintendo consoles still run fine and they're ancient.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
This new xbox console is so bad I can't believe people have already started to preorder this crap. It's worse than what the ps3 offers. Not to mention, it's a slower console compared to the ps3. However, knowing microsoft, they'll probably pull an allan wake and make all their new IPs xbone exclusive.

Marketing goes a long way and with the right words, you could sell anything to anyone.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's actually 24 hours not 12. Plus the thing is not meant to be a game console people carry around to parties and such - they have a different unit coming out later in the year that fits that profile more.

http://winsupersite.com/xbox/confirmed-xbox-one-requires-always-connection

Actually, it does not matter what this "verification interval" is. The only other device I have heard of which does this is those locator bracelets that have to be worn by people who are on house arrest. It is utterly RIDICULOUS that any maker of consoles or any computer of any type which is required to be connected to the internet AND if it is not, it stops functioning. It is draconian and way way over the top. There is absolutely no reason for this thing to exist at all in its present form. My reaction upon seeing this Xbox in anyone's home will be laughter and disgust...not just for Microsoft, but for the buyers dumb enough to ignore what they have voluntarily done to their privacy.

Also, I am not sure you are aware of this, but the next version of Windows 8 (Windows Blue) will have a BUILT IN silent connection to SkyDrive and Xbox Media (which has replaced the Media Center) which will also do the same thing (verify software in the SkyDrive storage and media played by Xbox Media Player).

Nothing positive can come out of this direction for Microsoft. Such additions will not be acceptable to most of the buying public (in my opinion), and the failure of this Xbox can be predicted easily because of it. Watch and see.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Actually, it does not matter what this "verification interval" is. The only other device I have heard of which does this is those locator bracelets that have to be worn by people who are on house arrest.

REP! What a fitting analogy that perfectly defines everything Microsoft is about! :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This new xbox console is so bad I can't believe people have already started to preorder this crap. It's worse than what the ps3 offers. Not to mention, it's a slower console compared to the ps3. However, knowing microsoft, they'll probably pull an allan wake and make all their new IPs xbone exclusive.

Marketing goes a long way and with the right words, you could sell anything to anyone.

Ill just keep my trusty PS2, thank you very much. It is for guests anyway. :) I play the vast majority of my games on my PC. I also know that when Windows 8 "Blue" is ready, my new W8 Standard computer will AUTOMATICALLY upgrade to it, along with it's silent connection enhancements, which I will promptly disable. And I can guarantee that gray hat hackers will find ways to kill the connection or emulate it so that it cannot "phone home". I dont know if they are going to try this with W8 Pro, but if they do, many enterprises who have deployed even one copy of it will be compromized (security wise) by this.

What the hell is going on at House of Microsoft? This is suicide.
--- merged: Jun 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM ---
REP! What a fitting analogy that perfectly defines everything Microsoft is about! :icon_lol:

:). Whose bright idea was this anyway? This "enhancement" does NOTHING for the end user. It looks to me like RIAA's wet dream created this thing.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Ill just keep my trusty PS2, thank you very much. It is for guests anyway. :) I play the vast majority of my games on my PC. I also know that when Windows 8 "Blue" is ready, my new W8 Standard computer will AUTOMATICALLY upgrade to it, along with it's silent connection enhancements, which I will promptly disable. And I can guarantee that gray hat hackers will find ways to kill the connection or emulate it so that it cannot "phone home". I dont know if they are going to try this with W8 Pro, but if they do, many enterprises who have deployed even one copy of it will be compromized (security wise) by this.

What the hell is going on at House of Microsoft? This is suicide.

It's easy to kill any phone home connection. It can be accomplished in a few simple steps:

- run Wireshark to scan all outgoing packets when your PC is idle
- check the outbound addresses and run a reverse DNS lookup to see where they resolve
- open the Windows "hosts" file and add a domain entry resolving each of the captured domans to something non-existent, like 1.1.1.1

This is normally sufficient to halt all phone-home activity without disrupting your OS.

If you have a little programming knowledge, you could also write a tiny server that listens on the relevant ports and will send back responses emulating replies from the mother ship and change the domain resolution in your hosts file to "127.0.0.1".
--- merged: Jun 9, 2013 at 10:09 AM ---
:). Whose bright idea was this anyway? This "enhancement" does NOTHING for the end user. It looks to me like RIAA's wet dream created this thing.

Yes, sir, it does! And you know how I feel about those shitty, greedy, useless outfits. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's easy to kill any phone home connection. It can be accomplished in a few simple steps:

- run Wireshark to scan all outgoing packets when your PC is idle
- check the outbound addresses and run a reverse DNS lookup to see where they resolve
- open the Windows "hosts" file and add a domain entry resolving each of the captured domans to something non-existent, like 1.1.1.1

This is normally sufficient to halt all phone-home activity without disrupting your OS.

If you have a little programming knowledge, you could also write a tiny server that listens on the relevant ports and will send back responses emulating replies from the mother ship and change the domain resolution in your hosts file to "127.0.0.1".
--- merged: Jun 9, 2013 at 10:09 AM ---

Yes, sir, it does! And you know how I feel about those shitty, greedy, useless outfits. :D

Shhhh! :anim_59: Those will be the first steps. Just in case, I will also be using Git to sniff all outgoing packets to see what they are trying to send back to Microsoft. I know I wont be the only one doing this, so the hacker communities will be sharing what they find as well. I guess Microsoft has lost sight of the fact that geeks made it's success possible and we can destroy it just as easily. Neither Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer can do what most experienced geeks can do with Windows/Microsoft software because they do not have those skills. They are businessmen.

I predict that Xbox emulators will become popular. There arent any good ones out there yet, but this one is promising: http://www.caustik.com/cxbx/

Cxbx will be able to play Xbox games using your BluRay player. Already, the PS2 emulator plays most PS2 games like it does on the console. If one can install something like Cxbx on Linux, that will be my solution, if I just have to have Xbox games. :)