X-Files Bluray Unboxing

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Having owned quite a few blurays, this has to be the worst one I have ever seen and they want 269 USD or 239 AUD for this? I feel like they are just doing this to make money from gullible fans.

I see a lot of this shameless money grabbing just about everywhere. It's disgusting. Almost $270 for a box of BluRay discs containing the X-Files? All I can say to that is that dumb people have to exist in order for smart people to know they are smart. :) This series was already paid for a long time ago by advertising dollars, by movies and product sales, plus the original DVD Collectors box set:

51QX7F2aDIL.jpg

I still do not understand why people are buying DVDs, BluRays or vinyl records at all. Hard drives are the best storage media and they hold every type of digital format available and will be able to hold any new ones that come out. You go into the folder and open the file in your player. Need to protect your collection? Back it up on a hard drive. If you must, you can burn the collection onto a set of BluRay discs using your computer. To me, playing physical media like discs and vinyl is like this:

Horse-buggy1.jpg

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I see a lot of this shameless money grabbing just about everywhere. It's disgusting. Almost $270 for a box of BluRay discs containing the X-Files? All I can say to that is that dumb people have to exist in order for smart people to know they are smart. :) This series was already paid for a long time ago by advertising dollars, by movies and product sales, plus the original DVD Collectors box set:

View attachment 32233

I still do not understand why people are buying DVDs, BluRays or vinyl records at all. Hard drives are the best storage media and they hold every type of digital format available and will be able to hold any new ones that come out. You go into the folder and open the file in your player. Need to protect your collection? Back it up on a hard drive. If you must, you can burn the collection onto a set of BluRay discs using your computer. To me, playing physical media like discs and vinyl is like this:

View attachment 32232
I don't see anything wrong with owning stuff physically, but there are some people that like to own physical items because people like tangible items and because it gives it a sense of value too. However, in the modern age, you are right in that physical items are just money grabbing exercises and that it's far better to own stuff digitally, but I do hate it when they put nonsene DRM on it. You also lose the option of reselling if you decide to and then the bullshit eula crap gets in your way.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Having owned quite a few blurays, this has to be the worst one I have ever seen and they want 269 USD or 239 AUD for this? I feel like they are just doing this to make money from gullible fans.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-X-Files-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/59724/

in this day of paid and free streaming (or pirated), on demand and other options, I see no reason for the disc market to exist at all

and in this set--no action figures, coffee mug, any kind of trinket?

i have seen other box sets-cheaper then this, that at least have those added things--all of which could very well be worth serious collectible money in the future. this set is nothing but plastic discs just ready to become scratched and worthless

HEISENBURG-- I hope you are not the one who bought this?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I don't see anything wrong with owning stuff physically, but there are some people that like to own physical items because people like tangible items and because it gives it a sense of value too. However, in the modern age, you are right in that physical items are just money grabbing exercises and that it's far better to own stuff digitally, but I do hate it when they put nonsene DRM on it. You also lose the option of reselling if you decide to and then the bullshit eula crap gets in your way.

I agree with the no phys items needed when it comes to tapes, records, cd's, dvd's etc because of digital options

the only items that I think should still have physical options are books, important documents and important photos

digital is awesome so long as the power stays on. at least with hard copy books, docs and photos, you will be able to use them in the forthcoming apocalypse :vala-newanime016:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
in this day of paid and free streaming (or pirated), on demand and other options, I see no reason for the disc market to exist at all

i have seen other box sets-cheaper then this, that at least have those added things--all of which could very well be worth serious collectible money in the future. this set is nothing but plastic discs just ready to become scratched and worthless

I was thinking about getting it but then I saw cheap it is and didn't bother. I'll probably get it when it's on sale or something.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I can't remember the last time I wiped fingerprints off of a DVD or BluRay, except to load a game into my old PS2. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was thinking about getting it but then I saw cheap it is and didn't bother. I'll probably get it when it's on sale or something.

In Australia, do they know when people are downloading from pirate sites like TPB?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
In Australia, do they know when people are downloading from pirate sites like TPB?
Well, those sites will soon be blocked when the companies go to the federal court to have them blocked. Nothing has been issued to have them blocked as of yet though. One of the copyright trolls that created Dallas buyer cowboy or whatever you want to call it, are still after extorting cash from alleged internet pirates.