Worker Wages: Wendy's vs. Wal-Mart vs. Costco

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not at all bro, I am talking about the Costco, Wal-Mart employee who will never see a tip. Also, as most "stock replenishment" jobs take place at night, joe shelf stacker really will never see a tip either.

Now, this is a question, but if the entire notion of tips is to encourage superior behaviour, what value is there in a system that shares the tips?

NONE. Which is why I would never want to have to depend on them in any job (if I had to take those sort of jobs).

They don't start that high here either dude!!

Can you provide base wages for the above organizations for a starting employee?
That was the problem with the article Bluce linked to begin with.

Not offhand, Im sure you can Google that. :)

Same here, so where do you go??
You have to protect the worker, and the worker has to realise that they are a cog in the system and not be a douche about it. As Bluce said, don't expect 40 bucks an hour for filling a bag, but employers need to not pay 5 bucks an hour for the people who make the company function either.

The employer does not pay a dime of any claim. They pay the insurance premium and thats it. The insurance is who covers the claims and accidents.

It's the balance that we really need.

Then you are paying for workplace insurance, and YES you are right, the employer should pay for it, look up "workcover" here in aus.
But that payment is for the workspace, NOT a "employee" and any claim to say it is "for a specific employee" is disingenuous at best. By the same token, the employer should not have to pay the insurance premium for the worker who busts his leg doing a 360 flop on a surfboard either!!

The employer pays the insurance premium for insurance. Who would buy insurance that only covers them whilst they are at work? Health insurance policies protect 24/7.

Minimum healthcare IS a public thing in the US now. I dont know how it is done elsewhere.

We have no concept of "tipping" for service, we "donate" to a *person* if the service is good, in cash and basically untraceable to the ATO/IRS.

That is how it is done here as well. My "gifts" received and "donations" for volunteer work is not taxable. Tips given to me doing personal work for people are listed as "donations" on my tax returns. But no tip given whilst in the employ of a job during business hours can be listed as a donation.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Their business model of Costco is more honest and much less greedy than Walmart. Wendy's has no excuse whatsoever...appalling.

Sad thing is though-I dont see COSTCO expanding like Wal-Mart has.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a COSTCO around here but I think that their stores and their wages are going to remain an urban/suburban "trendy" thing. They can't compete on a national level with the amount of stores Wal Mart or even TARGET has, not with the wages they are paying.

That is, not without reducing EXECUTIVE PAY AND COMPENSATION:encouragement:
--- merged: Aug 12, 2013 4:27 PM ---

also, what are their positions and time at the job? Maybe Cesar has 12 yrs exp and is a manager? Just wondering...

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Sad thing is though-I dont see COSTCO expanding like Wal-Mart has.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a COSTCO around here but I think that their stores and their wages are going to remain an urban/suburban "trendy" thing. They can't compete on a national level with the amount of stores Wal Mart or even TARGET has, not with the wages they are paying.

That is, not without reducing EXECUTIVE PAY AND COMPENSATION:encouragement:
--- merged: Aug 12, 2013 4:27 PM ---

also, what are their positions and time at the job? Maybe Cesar has 12 yrs exp and is a manager? Just wondering...

didn't you see my post? cesar has been at costco 19 yrs as a forklift operator. ;) no info on the other two. :D very slanted article.

I love both my costco and sam's club. they carry different items and the meat at costco is the best in the city !:) they also carry fresh littleneck clams there. :D There are 6 Sam's clubs around Indy but only 2 costcos- those are the only costcos in the state. there are sam's clubs in most of the medium cities in indiana. I agree taht Costco is more trendy/urban than sam's.

illiterati- that is the AVERAGE starting wage for those positions- which mean some make less. Probably depends on the location- i have found wages reflect the local cosst of living. I use a salary calculator found here: http://www.homefair.com/real-estate/salary-calculator.asp It can show you what you would need to earn in another area to equal your current standard of living. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Fast food starting wages:

Employer Name
National Hourly Rate Data (?
XAll compensation data shown are gross, national 10th to 90th percentile ranges. Pay can vary greatly by location. To view local data, take the PayScale survey.
) $0 $6 $12
Fast Food Worker - McDonald's Restaurants Ltd.
$7.17 - $9.01

Fast Food Worker - Wendy's International, Inc.
$7.09 - $8.97

Fast Food Worker - McDonald's Corporation
$7.19 - $9.38

Fast Food Worker - Burger King Corporation
$7.10 - $8.15

Fast Food Worker - Subway Restaurant Inc
$7.11 - $9.41

Fast Food Worker - Chick-Fil-A Inc
$7.29 - $10.60

Fast Food Worker - Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc.
$7.33 - $8.66

Fast Food Worker - Taco Bell Corporation
$7.33 - $8.30

Fast Food Worker - Hardee's
$7.17 - $8.40

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Fast food starting wages:

Employer Name
National Hourly Rate Data (?
XAll compensation data shown are gross, national 10th to 90th percentile ranges. Pay can vary greatly by location. To view local data, take the PayScale survey.
) $0 $6 $12
Fast Food Worker - McDonald's Restaurants Ltd.
$7.17 - $9.01

Fast Food Worker - Wendy's International, Inc.
$7.09 - $8.97

Fast Food Worker - McDonald's Corporation
$7.19 - $9.38

Fast Food Worker - Burger King Corporation
$7.10 - $8.15

Fast Food Worker - Subway Restaurant Inc
$7.11 - $9.41

Fast Food Worker - Chick-Fil-A Inc
$7.29 - $10.60

Fast Food Worker - Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc.
$7.33 - $8.66

Fast Food Worker - Taco Bell Corporation
$7.33 - $8.30

Fast Food Worker - Hardee's
$7.17 - $8.40

:icon_e_surprised:

OMG! That is really sad. :shame: :moody:

Prostitute

$20.00 - $200.00 a trick

Illegal alien maid service

$25.00 - $50.00 per home (2 hrs, 3 homes per day)

Professional beggar

$5.00 - $20.00 per hour

Corner oranges vendor

$5.00 per bag, 2 bags per hour ($10.00)

Cans and bottles recycler (with shopping cart)

$$25.00 - $150.00 per day

:facepalm:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
:icon_e_surprised:

OMG! That is really sad. :shame: :moody:

Prostitute

$20.00 - $200.00 a trick

Illegal alien maid service

$25.00 - $50.00 per home (2 hrs, 3 homes per day)

Professional beggar

$5.00 - $20.00 per hour

Corner oranges vendor

$5.00 per bag, 2 bags per hour ($10.00)

Cans and bottles recycler (with shopping cart)

$$25.00 - $150.00 per day

:facepalm:

Mitt Romney's childhood allowance

$5000 per week + car + living arrangements and food.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Mitt Romney's childhood allowance

$5000 per week + car + living arrangements and food.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I think they shoved that silver spoon up the wrong end...how does such a dishonest, lying SOB make it to adulthood? His lack of a moral cmpass and appreciation for his fellow man was learned from his parents. Just wow.

trust-fund-baby.gif

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
didn't you see my post? cesar has been at costco 19 yrs as a forklift operator. ;) no info on the other two. :D very slanted article.

I love both my costco and sam's club. they carry different items and the meat at costco is the best in the city !:) they also carry fresh littleneck clams there. :D There are 6 Sam's clubs around Indy but only 2 costcos- those are the only costcos in the state. there are sam's clubs in most of the medium cities in indiana. I agree taht Costco is more trendy/urban than sam's.

illiterati- that is the AVERAGE starting wage for those positions- which mean some make less. Probably depends on the location- i have found wages reflect the local cosst of living. I use a salary calculator found here: http://www.homefair.com/real-estate/salary-calculator.asp It can show you what you would need to earn in another area to equal your current standard of living. :)

Ok on both replies to mine....however, is COSTCO expanding? Or is is just going to stay "urban" or near to it- keeping them yuppies consciences' clear knowing they can shop where they pay a "living wage"? Even though they are still selling mass produced items from China, yes?

Bluce Ree

I think they shoved that silver spoon up the wrong end...how does such a dishonest, lying SOB make it to adulthood? His lack of a moral cmpass and appreciation for his fellow man was learned from his parents. Just wow.

View attachment 28453

Have some sympathy for the poor guy. Did you know that he and his wife had to actually sell some stock to make ends meet when they were in college eating microwave pasta off an ironing board on the maid's day off to avoid having to clean up the table in the main dining room?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Remember that the VAST majority of people on those fast food hourly wages are teens - typically on their first job. That is the employment model of fast food.

Salaried fast food employees are a bit different. Managers make about 45000 a year, which for the long hours and such is to be frank a terrible wage. In both cases, one does wonder whether running with smaller but better paid and trained crews would yield better results.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Remember that the VAST majority of people on those fast food hourly wages are teens - typically on their first job. That is the employment model of fast food.

Salaried fast food employees are a bit different. Managers make about 45000 a year, which for the long hours and such is to be frank a terrible wage. In both cases, one does wonder whether running with smaller but better paid and trained crews would yield better results.

Ah yes....the big bucks. :anim_59:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ah yes....the big bucks. :anim_59:

For which they have to put on a smile and say "yes sir" when someone is being an insufferable prat..............
Risk getting fired because some doorknob of a customer wants to feel good about themselves..........

Ahh, the service industry, it's the good life :lol:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I just can't do customer service anymore. I can't put on that smile on my face (yes, you even have to smile while doing phone work) and pretend that everything's wonderful.

I especially can't bring myself to try to convince people to spend money they don't have on services they don't really need.

Bluce Ree

I just can't do customer service anymore. I can't put on that smile on my face (yes, you even have to smile while doing phone work) and pretend that everything's wonderful.

I especially can't bring myself to try to convince people to spend money they don't have on services they don't really need.

Which reminds me, did you get your tertiary life insurance coverage? This is coverage over and above your primary and secondary policy meant to protect your secondary policy in case the insurance company dies or the company simply decides it doesn't want to pay. Of course, I'm assuming you also have secondary insurance, which covers any unforeseen circumstances, like your primary decides not to pay.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

we are all slaves...

No, we are not. I am going to call that out every time you post it. NO, we are not slaves, not wage slaves or any other type of slave. Slavery does not exist in your country or mine.