Work It

• Thread starter Stonelesscutter
  • Start date
S

Stonelesscutter

Just saw the first episode of a new show called "Work It". I found there were some pretty funny moments in it. Perhaps worth checking out.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1826951/

"Centers on two unemployed car salesmen who realize that they are living in a woman's world, so they decide that to find work again, they must dress as women to get jobs as pharmaceutical reps. By doing so, it makes them better men, husbands and fathers, but also makes them appreciate the sanctuary of their nights at the bar where they can be themselves."

View attachment 6630

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
For those of us with transgendered friends and/or family, something like this can be downright unwatchable.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I have transgendered friends and family members, and after seeing clips and images from the show, I have absolutely no desire to see it.

In my case, I don't find my stance to be harsh. If you like it, that's fine.

For me, however, I've seen what my friends and family have had to go through while they are just being the people they are. They endure hateful comments (both behind their backs and out loud), finger pointing, discrimination, etc.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
There was a funny show called Bosom Buddies when I was a kid - is this one like that?

S

Stonelesscutter

I have transgendered friends and family members, and after seeing clips and images from the show, I have absolutely no desire to see it.

For me, however, I've seen what my friends and family have had to go through while they are just being the people they are. They endure hateful comments (both behind their backs and out loud), finger pointing, discrimination, etc.

Fair enough.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I can relate to that feeling, I felt the same when shows like Good Times, The Jeffersons, Moesha and Sanford and Son were airing. Unwatchable and insulting.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I can relate to that feeling, I felt the same when shows like Good Times, The Jeffersons, Moesha and Sanford and Son were airing. Unwatchable and insulting.
Gotta love the racial stereotyping that was considered to be "acceptable" on television at that time.

I found Jimmie Walker's character on "Good Times" to be insulting to the world in general. I think the last place I saw him "act" was in one of the "Guyver" movies. (Noting here that anything "Guyver" should be relegated to official Bad Movie Watching Days).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Gotta love the racial stereotyping that was considered to be "acceptable" on television at that time.

I found Jimmie Walker's character on "Good Times" to be insulting to the world in general. I think the last place I saw him "act" was in one of the "Guyver" movies. (Noting here that anything "Guyver" should be relegated to official Bad Movie Watching Days).

What I hated more was people who would noodge me and say things like "Come on man! Its just TV. I dont think they are meaning to play on stereotypes!". REALLY?

155059__jj_l.jpg

Jimmie Walker was the original live action Jar Jar Binks.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

When I saw ads for the show I could not believe that in 2012 they were actually producing such a piece of dreck. I actually managed to catch a chunk of the premiere episode and it was painfully awful. Seriously, I couldn't believe that this lame lame LAME show was produced in this day and age and can only assume it was done for the "shock" value which is really none at all because it's so lame.

They did an absolutely horrible job in making up the men to look like women. It was obviously written by someone who is a total moron and who has the sense of humor of an 8yo boy living in the 1950's. Terrible, just terrible.

G

Graybrew1

There was a very funny movie called "Some like it Hot" and another one called "Birdcage" I never heard any groups complain about them. What can't fictional entertainment just be that sometimes? I take no offense to the Sopranos stereotypes. Or the "The Godfather" or "Goodfellas".

Sometimes people are just too thin skinned. If it is fictional and busting on Caucasians it is okay?(Roseanne, Alice, All in the Family, Married with Children) , but if it is about anybody else there is some hidden agenda? Equal Opp rights means you should expect to be treated equally and not pampered and handled with kid gloves.:icon_e_wink:

S

Stonelesscutter

There was a very funny movie called "Some like it Hot" and another one called "Birdcage" I never heard any groups complain about them. What can't fictional entertainment just be that sometimes? I take no offense to the Sopranos stereotypes. Or the "The Godfather" or "Goodfellas".

Sometimes people are just too thin skinned. If it is fictional and busting on Caucasians it is okay?(Roseanne, Alice, All in the Family, Married with Children) , but if it is about anybody else there is some hidden agenda? Equal Opp rights means you should expect to be treated equally and not pampered and handled with kid gloves.:icon_e_wink:

Hmmm... good point there.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Sometimes people are just too thin skinned. If it is fictional and busting on Caucasian Male it is okay, but if it about anybody else there is some hidden agenda? Equal Opp rights means you should expect to be treated equally and not pampered and handled with kid gloves.

I don't have a problem with the premise of men dressing in drag for a comedic reason, in this case a job, but I take exception to having it done so poorly. Even "Bosom Buddies" did it much better 30 years ago. This show "Work It", is just a lame straight-boy interpretation of gradeschool humor. Plus their transformation into passable women is not believable for a second, which is criminal in today's world as it's possible to make-over a man into a very feminine "woman". Just throwing a wig on one's head and stuffing some socks into a bra is hardly clever in 2012. In order for this horrible premise to work literally everyone in the cast has to be brain dead to not notice that these are men wearing dresses.

In 1983 this premise might have worked for a show but in 2012 it simply doesn't. And for being on a major network there's no excuse for not making it as good as possible. Simply no excuse.

G

Graybrew1

I don't have a problem with the premise of men dressing in drag for a comedic reason, in this case a job, but I take exception to having it done so poorly. Even "Bosom Buddies" did it much better 30 years ago. This show "Work It", is just a lame straight-boy interpretation of gradeschool humor. Plus their transformation into passable women is not believable for a second, which is criminal in today's world as it's possible to make-over a man into a very feminine "woman". Just throwing a wig on one's head and stuffing some socks into a bra is hardly clever in 2012. In order for this horrible premise to work literally everyone in the cast has to be brain dead to not notice that these are men wearing dresses.

In 1983 this premise might have worked for a show but in 2012 it simply doesn't. And for being on a major network there's no excuse for not making it as good as possible. Simply no excuse.

My comment was not really based on the quality level of this show or not. I have not seen it yet. Can't look at clip too well from office. But the comments that were made were about the concept. I have no problem with everybody....black, white, pink and purple....Fat, skinny, old ,young, gay, straight, transgender............and anybody else I forgot..........getting a portrayed in a comical way.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
My comment was not really based on the quality level of this show or not. I have not seen it yet. Can't look at clip too well from office. But the comments that were made were about the concept. I have no problem with everybody....black, white, pink and purple....Fat, skinny, old ,young, gay, straight, transgender............and anybody else I forgot..........getting a portrayed in a comical way.

Yeah, it's the quality level of the show that's in question here. It's worth watching just to see how poorly they carry it off. Now don't get me wrong, they could have done a quality production but they clearly didn't here.

It's sort of a moot point as this show will die a quick death I'm sure.

S

Stonelesscutter

So you're saying that the show sucks because basically those guys are too ugly. If they had looked like smoking hot women it would have been alright. How politically correct of you.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
So you're saying that the show sucks because basically those guys are too ugly. If they had looked like smoking hot women it would have been alright. How politically correct of you.

Not at all. (Nice try btw ;) ) The fact is that in 2012 it's possible for a man of just about any look to transform himself into a passable woman. There are even shows on TV that show it such as Rupaul's Drag Race. Trust me, some of those men are not attractive before they transform into women. So it can be done and done quite convincingly. Plus there are drag shows in every city in America now and they are all usually at a high level of style, so that information is out there should a man want to transform himself into a passable woman.

Also, being a drag queen shouldn't be confused with being transexual or transgendered. Dressing to "pass" isn't necessarily a criteria for people who are trans nor should it be. They're entitled to be whoever they are and represent themselves however they wish and more power to them. But for the sake of this discussion we are talking about men transforming themselves into passable, stylized feminine versions of themselves.

S

Stonelesscutter

Not at all. (Nice try btw ;) ) The fact is that in 2012 it's possible for a man of just about any look to transform himself into a passable woman. There are even shows on TV that show it such as Rupaul's Drag Race. Trust me, some of those men are not attractive before they transform into women. So it can be done and done quite convincingly. Plus there are drag shows in every city in America now and they are all usually at a high level of style, so that information is out there should a man want to transform himself into a passable woman.

Also, being a drag queen shouldn't be confused with being transexual or transgendered. Dressing to "pass" isn't necessarily a criteria for people who are trans nor should it be. They're entitled to be whoever they are and represent themselves however they wish and more power to them. But for the sake of this discussion we are talking about men transforming themselves into passable, stylized feminine versions of themselves.

Damn you caught on to me. :P

I think that these men are not supposed to look indistinguishable from real women. Not yet anyway. I think that would somehow diminish the comedic effect. These are men who never had any intention of dressing up as women and enjoyed their "manly" meetings in the bar. They have just taken their first step into a new world. It is very well possible that over the course of the episodes they will start looking and acting more and more convincing so to speak. I don't think they did a terrible job so far.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Damn you caught on to me. :P

I think that these men are not supposed to look indistinguishable from real women. Not yet anyway. I think that would somehow diminish the comedic effect. These are men who never had any intention of dressing up as women and enjoyed their "manly" meetings in the bar. They have just taken their first step into a new world. It is very well possible that over the course of the episodes they will start looking and acting more and more convincing so to speak. I don't think they did a terrible job so far.

You're wrong, and here's why: These men both got jobs based on the fact that they appear to be women, but the truth is they don't appear to be women, not even a little bit. That's the failure of the premise. Like I said, had they taken more time to develop the illusion of being women the show would be better.

My comments shouldn't be construed as a negative commentary on your particular lifestyle/fetish so please don't take it that way. ;)