Wine

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Can't believe I forgot about letting a good red wine breathe!

Hey, I'm not saying its a great idea, just I don't feel it rises to the level of "murder". Normally I wouldn't chill a red myself, but on occasion and depending on what I'm eating with it, I don't mind it.

What would be the point in giving examples dude? I mean, we're in different countries for starters!! I can rattle of names if you want:
Penfolds
Wirra Wirra
Brokenwood
Taylors
Devils Lair
Mad fish
Wolf Blass (some of them)
Brown Brothers
And I could go on (and on), but without a point of reference, it's hardly worth it.
All I'm saying is it's not some "freaky thing" to like cold/cool reds.

No, I mean "softer" reds such as Merlot ???, Malbec, Grenache, Dolcetto etc, not light as in color.

Sure :)

Ahh, I see the problem, The idea is not to have it "fridge cold", merely cool. Also, (and this is only because you mentioned it later to GB), alot of that "difference in flavor" comes from giving the wine time to "breathe". You should never open a bottle of red and drink it straight away. Opening a bottle of *quality* red and immediately pouring and drinking is as much an "act of murder" in some circles as chilling red dude. As You said though, drink what you like, how you like! :)

Yes, you're right about letting a red wine breathe before drinking. It definitely helps soften the flavor. Admittedly some wines retain a sharp edge no matter the temp or how long you let them breathe. It's usually a matter of striking the right balance with tannins during the vintning process. Some wines are never quite right in that regard. For instance Yellowtail Shiraz, I find, always has a bitter edge to it, one that lingers at the back of the throat, regardless of the time it's left to breathe. In that situation I think it's fine to cool it or ice it or whatever one chooses to make it palatable. Incidentally, Yellowtail is an Australian wine, isn't it? :rononwhistle:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yes, you're right about letting a red wine breathe before drinking. It definitely helps soften the flavor. Admittedly some wines retain a sharp edge no matter the temp or how long you let them breathe. It's usually a matter of striking the right balance with tannins during the vintning process. Some wines are never quite right in that regard. For instance Yellowtail Shiraz, I find, always has a bitter edge to it, one that lingers at the back of the throat, regardless of the time it's left to breathe. In that situation I think it's fine to cool it or ice it or whatever one chooses to make it palatable. Incidentally, Yellowtail is an Australian wine, isn't it? :rononwhistle:

Yes Yellow tail is Australian, but it came on the scene after I was out of the industry. Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost you per bottle in the US?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yes Yellow tail is Australian, but it came on the scene after I was out of the industry. Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost you per bottle in the US?

For a bottle of Yellowtail? I don't know off the top of my head. I'd have to actually look at the store since I don't usually buy it. I tend to see it served at a lot of parties and restaurants though. I know it's about $6-7 a glass at a restaurant because someone I dined with recently ordered it and I remember seeing it on the wine list.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
For a bottle of Yellowtail? I don't know off the top of my head. I'd have to actually look at the store since I don't usually buy it. I tend to see it served at a lot of parties and restaurants though. I know it's about $6-7 a glass at a restaurant because someone I dined with recently ordered it and I remember seeing it on the wine list.

7-8 a GLASS!!
BAHAAA!!
$10 per BOTTLE out here, and it's considered table wine (thats not to say it's bad, it merely highlights why truly effective comparisons between US and AU are just not going to work based on price)

I did a little research, and the reason you see it alot is that apparently Yellow tail has been wildly successful OS (particulary in the US, where it supposedly represents 10% of the US Shiraz market in 3 years, quite an impressive feat!)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
7-8 a GLASS!!
BAHAAA!!
$10 per BOTTLE out here, and it's considered table wine (thats not to say it's bad, it merely highlights why truly effective comparisons between US and AU are just not going to work based on price)

I did a little research, and the reason you see it alot is that apparently Yellow tail has been wildly successful OS (particulary in the US, where it supposedly represents 10% of the US Shiraz market in 3 years, quite an impressive feat!)

Yeah there's been a pretty big advertising campaign for it including TV commercials which is strange because most wines simply aren't advertised that much.

G

Graybrew1

I love Brut Rose Champagne.

Korbel has a decent one. You can get it in a Liquor store for about $13.99 a bottle around here. :D