Wine

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I wasnt going to weigh in on this thread because I hate beer :) But like you, when I do decide to have a drink, I want to get "there" as quickly as possible, and without having to fill my belly with bloated gas and keep going back to a 12-pack to grab a fresh one. One shot of a great brandy or cognac does the trick nicely. And every now and then, a rum&tonic with a lime, or a dry vodka martini. But by and large, I will choose a single glass of a nice Chardonnay or a Pinot Noir or Merlot wine after dinner to relax. But in my USMC days, I drank enough beer to fill a swimming pool :D

Thats a interesting mix of choices in wine there my friend

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
California makes the best wines on this planet!

Thats a interesting mix of choices in wine there my friend

California wines are the best in the world. Better than ANY French wines or Italian wines. I like dry wines, not sweet ones, so Chardonnay and Reislings and Pinot Grigio are my favorite white wines. For red wines, I also dont like anything sweetish, so Merlot and Pinot Noir or even a Shiraz is nice. But my favorite is Chardonnay by far. Ill have maybe 3 glasses a week, always with dinner. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
California wines are the best in the world. Better than ANY French wines or Italian wines. I like dry wines, not sweet ones, so Chardonnay and Reislings and Pinot Grigio are my favorite white wines. For red wines, I also dont like anything sweetish, so Merlot and Pinot Noir or even a Shiraz is nice. But my favorite is Chardonnay by far. Ill have maybe 3 glasses a week, always with dinner. :)

Ya do realise you are seriously poking the bear when it comes to wine and an Australian who actually knows his shit about wine dotcha bud!! :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, school me then!

Ya do realise you are seriously poking the bear when it comes to wine and an Australian who actually knows his shit about wine dotcha bud!! :P

I am no wine connoisseur :) I know what I like, though. I have taken the wine train tour in the San Joaquin Valley, but in Europe, it seems the California wines are more coveted than French wines or Italian wines...even in France! Back in the day, French wines used to be considered the best. But, tell me your thoughts on it. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I am no wine connoisseur :) I know what I like, though. I have taken the wine train tour in the San Joaquin Valley, but in Europe, it seems the California wines are more coveted than French wines or Italian wines...even in France! Back in the day, French wines used to be considered the best. But, tell me your thoughts on it. :)

Well, what do you want to know?
You are quite right in saying that Cali wines have a general reputation for being superior to french/Italian wine but the problem with that is, most of what gets imported out of France at least is "Table wine", ie, everyday ordinary junk. Cali wines also tend to have better textures than French wine as well.

Now, you say you like "Dry wines" and not so much "sweet wines". If I were you I'd look out for Semillon Sauvingon Blacs (SSB's) rather than something like a reisling (which while generally dry is also sweet imo) SSB's tend to be pretty dry but hmm, "creamy?". In my experience most chardonnays tend to be very "oaky" in flavor which tends to cover up the natural flavor and give it a "fake dryness", but you do find some that don't overdo to oak which are quite nice. As a suggestion for a nice Australian dry white, I'd recommend something like "Brokenwood Cricket Pitch", Mad fish or Moondah Brook. The first to cost around $25 out here, the last around $15. I know however that Aussie wines tend to get highly inflated prices elsewhere, so they may be a bit pricier in the US.

As to reds, oh boy, thats a whole other kettle of fish!! If you want me to keep going however I will.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I will look for them in my local wine/liquor store.

Well, what do you want to know?
You are quite right in saying that Cali wines have a general reputation for being superior to french/Italian wine but the problem with that is, most of what gets imported out of France at least is "Table wine", ie, everyday ordinary junk. Cali wines also tend to have better textures than French wine as well.

Now, you say you like "Dry wines" and not so much "sweet wines". If I were you I'd look out for Semillon Sauvingon Blacs (SSB's) rather than something like a reisling (which while generally dry is also sweet imo) SSB's tend to be pretty dry but hmm, "creamy?". In my experience most chardonnays tend to be very "oaky" in flavor which tends to cover up the natural flavor and give it a "fake dryness", but you do find some that don't overdo to oak which are quite nice. As a suggestion for a nice Australian dry white, I'd recommend something like "Brokenwood Cricket Pitch", Mad fish or Moondah Brook. The first to cost around $25 out here, the last around $15. I know however that Aussie wines tend to get highly inflated prices elsewhere, so they may be a bit pricier in the US.

As to reds, oh boy, thats a whole other kettle of fish!! If you want me to keep going however I will.

The place where I get my wine is right in the Riviera Village. If I ask the owner to get me a bottle or two, he will get them for me. Im not concerned too much about the price, but I will not spend more than $45.00 on a bottle of wine for any reason. To me, $20-25 is acceptable. Chardonnays have been my favorite since getting into wines. I usually buy Kenwood or B&V. I usually start it during dinner, and then afterwards its wine and cheese and grapes (or strawberries) to finish the glass (or the second glass). The Chardonnays seem to play off cheese very well. The red wines dont go well with cheese or fruit IMO, so I usually have a red wine when socializing or sitting with others who are drinking hard liquor (or beer). I havent been to a restaurant or bar which didnt have a Merlot available.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The place where I get my wine is right in the Riviera Village. If I ask the owner to get me a bottle or two, he will get them for me. Im not concerned too much about the price, but I will not spend more than $45.00 on a bottle of wine for any reason. To me, $20-25 is acceptable. Chardonnays have been my favorite since getting into wines. I usually by Kenwood or B&V. I usually start it during dinner, and then afterwards its wine and cheese and grapes (or strawberries) to finish the glass (or the second glass). The Chardonnays seem to play off cheese very well. The red wines dont go well with cheese or fruit IMO, so I usually have a red wine when socializing or sitting with others who are drinking hard liquor (or beer). I havent been to a restaurant or bar which didnt have a Merlot available.

I find your comment in regards to choice of food to go with your wine interesting. Most whites taste better with fruits and white meat (brings out the flavor more) and Reds tend to go better with red meat and cheeses. Next time you have a cheeseboard, try a Cabernet Merlot instead of a straight Merlot as the Cabernet tends to give the red a "fuller flavor". I tend to find straight Merlots a bit too soft for my taste however.

As to prices for wine. The best white wine tends to sit in the $12-$20 mark (for domestic wine). More than that and you tend to start paying for the name instead! If you are feeling "outrageous" for wine, skip most stuff in the $20-50 mark and go higher. For reds, the best tend to sit in the $15-25 mark (again, domestic) then skip anything until you hit the $65+ mark.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree about the foods, except the cheese!

I find your comment in regards to choice of food to go with your wine interesting. Most whites taste better with fruits and white meat (brings out the flavor more) and Reds tend to go better with red meat and cheeses. Next time you have a cheeseboard, try a Cabernet Merlot instead of a straight Merlot as the Cabernet tends to give the red a "fuller flavor". I tend to find straight Merlots a bit too soft for my taste however.

As to prices for wine. The best white wine tends to sit in the $12-$20 mark (for domestic wine). More than that and you tend to start paying for the name instead! If you are feeling "outrageous" for wine, skip most stuff in the $20-50 mark and go higher. For reds, the best tend to sit in the $15-25 mark (again, domestic) then skip anything until you hit the $65+ mark.

I have my white wine with chicken and turkey and fish, and red wine with pasta and Italian dishes and steaks. But mostly, I enjoy the after dinner part of drinking the wine (usually finishing the glass I started with dinner). I have found that grapes and strawberries and common cheeses like cheddar and gouda are great. Red wine and cheese...meh. NEVER fruit with red wines for me. It makes them taste weird IMO. Kenwood winery makes my favorite Chardonnay (I have been to this winery):

http://www.kenwoodvineyards.com/#/reserve/chardonnay

Roughly $16-21 depending on the vintage (I prefer the 2003-2006). My favorite Merlot is made by BV winery:

http://www.bvwines.com/

I get the straight merlot because I was told that the blended wines arent as good as the homogeneous wines. So, a Cabernet Merlot? Ill give it a try. Im not really a Cabernet Sauvignon fan, but blended with a merlot could be interesting. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I have my white wine with chicken and turkey and fish, and red wine with pasta and Italian dishes and steaks. But mostly, I enjoy the after dinner part of drinking the wine (usually finishing the glass I started with dinner). I have found that grapes and strawberries and common cheeses like cheddar and gouda are great. Red wine and cheese...meh. NEVER fruit with red wines for me. It makes them taste weird IMO. Kenwood winery makes my favorite Chardonnay (I have been to this winery):

http://www.kenwoodvineyards.com/#/reserve/chardonnay

Roughly $16-21 depending on the vintage (I prefer the 2003-2006). My favorite Merlot is made by BV winery:

http://www.bvwines.com/

I get the straight merlot because I was told that the blended wines arent as good as the homogeneous wines. So, a Cabernet Merlot? Ill give it a try. Im not really a Cabernet Sauvignon fan, but blended with a merlot could be interesting. :)

Cab Sauv's are the "serious" end of the red wine scale and I'm not a huge fan of them myself. Blends are ok with wines but yes they are "less pure" in taste. (Shiraz tends to be an exception though, straight Shiraz tends to be better than blended ones.) Alot of that "purity aspect" however is a little bit of "wine snobbery" imho, but, hey, I'm the same way with scotch (I loathe blended scotch), so who am I to talk :P

If your local bottleshop employs decent staff, they should be able to steer you in the direction of a good Cab/Merlot and they should know the domestic wines far, far better than I could. Hmm, If you can find them and they aren't to pricey for a "test run", try either "Taylors" or "Houghtons" wines (Taylors is better) for a intro into Aussie wines.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Wolfblas Eaglehawk is one of the best taht they make IMO

It's funny that you both mention Wolf Blass :P
Hmm, I'm not overly partial to thier reds but they do make some nice whites. The best reds (imo) tend to come out of the Margret River reigion in West Australia.

The eaglehawk range is a perfect example of what I was saying to OM1 about pricing however. Last time I looked, eaglehawk sells for around $12-15 dollars a bottle out here. Its really quite good wine at a good price and imo far better than some of the "pricier ones" that you end up paying for a name (penfolds is a good example of this imo, you pay for the name and not the product)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That looks like FUN!

This was the second time I was invited for this event in 2 yrs. Both times were just fantastic. We tasted some really old wines and a 25yr old Port.
View attachment 2403

That looks like lots of fun! A total geekfest, but with wine and good food. I would love to go to something like that! Now that COMDEX has gone virtual, the face to face element as been removed. Not many cool computer conventions left. I liked it way better when it was a live event in Las Vegas.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Athough not strictly "wine" per se, I must admit a real fondness for honeyed mead (when made right)

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Plonk by any other name

Ah that's better, time you Stargate Winers had a place all your own.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If you get a chance, the Wine Train Tour of the California wine country is a must.

If you are in California to visit for the culture, then the Wine Train Tour is a must see. If you arent careful, by the time its over you wont remember it! LOL. Its really awesome, and a great romantic trip almost bordering on being a Land Cruise.

http://winetrain.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnUsCytpxT0&feature=channel

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It will depend on what you want to know GB, I'll answer whatever I can :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ask Gatefan1976!

HEy,is it to old to ask you guys about wines again?

He is the one who you should ask. I have a sort of an eccentric taste for my wines and the foods I like with them.

NOTE TO GF'76: I did try that Cabernet Merlot finally! I bought two bottles, and one is stored away. The other one I shared with friends. It was a bit more pricey than I expected: http://www.thewinebarn.net/node/13360 but it was a very good wine! I recently saw another variety at my local liquor store from Yellow Tail which cost more like $22. I still prefer the straight Merlot, but the mix is very heady. Definitely not dinner wine, its social/mingling wine. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It will depend on what you want to know GB, I'll answer whatever I can :)

I don't think she was referring to a malt beverage that comes in a can. ;)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
He is the one who you should ask. I have a sort of an eccentric taste for my wines and the foods I like with them.

NOTE TO GF'76: I did try that Cabernet Merlot finally! I bought two bottles, and one is stored away. The other one I shared with friends. It was a bit more pricey than I expected: http://www.thewinebarn.net/node/13360 but it was a very good wine! I recently saw another variety at my local liquor store from Yellow Tail which cost more like $22. I still prefer the straight Merlot, but the mix is very heady. Definitely not dinner wine, its social/mingling wine. :)

Wow, thats pretty expensive there dude!!
I think you were paying for year (and you should NEVER pay for year) and label a bit there, but US wine is not my area of expertise. :)
I'm glad you liked the blend mate. Next time your browsing and you want a lighter red, somewhere on the label there should be a breakdown of the variatals in the wine, try and find one with less Cab Sauv and more Merlot. The Cab gives it that "heavy taste" that can go straight to your head. :D