Windows as a gaming platform cannot be beat.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I use AMD's, but I never want my machine to play high end games. They are fine for general use are they not?
Business, number crunching etc

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan

Speaking of price gouging:

The same processor we were talking about was selling for around $569.00 on their website. The NCIX site tells me that that processor is in "backorder", while I suspect that Newegg Canada might have an oversupply of the same.

Even though we have lost a major computer part supplier all I can say is shop around - shop around.

I am old enough to remember having Bill Gates say that we will never see a computer that will need more than 4 megabytes of ram. Time to laff slightly as the new Office 2013 needs a little more than that just to turn on.

After loosing two motherboards this year I will stick with the "cheapies" until one of my newer boards konk-out.

With my fingers, no way would I pay for $340.00 for a DIY board. At least not now.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
AMD is crap and the small savings isn't worth (at least to me) the performance and reliability hits.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I use AMD's, but I never want my machine to play high end games. They are fine for general use are they not?
Business, number crunching etc

Yes, they are fine with everyday use. The issue with AMDs is not design, it's heat. Always has been. AMD uses similar technology and design as Intel, but the materials they use are less pure and therefore have higher resistance and the processors run hot. So hot, that many AMD boards have dual CPU fans, or ginormous ducted ones. You almost never see AMD processors used in enterprise-level servers. Going with AMD means going with Radeon graphics cards (usually). Most games are optimized for Nvidia cards.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
AMD is crap and the small savings isn't worth (at least to me) the performance and reliability hits.

100% agree. I learned that the hard way many years ago. :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
That's a little simplistic. Most times, the same car in Canada is about 30% more expensive for no other reason than the market takes it.

A friend of mine purchased a brand new Lexus (I forget the model) in the US and imported it into Canada. After all was said and done, he saved a little over $24k going through the hoops to import it.

He will have no warranty with the vehicle in Canada .
;) ;) ;)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
He will have no warranty with the vehicle in Canada .
;) ;) ;)

Not at first but he managed to get them to honor it. He's a lawyer, by the way. Didn't take him long to get them to comply.