Why The End Of Universe Means Bad Things For Syfy

Inara

GateFans Noob
Rock bottom would be in the pit with that reimagined Flash Gordon a few years back. That was actually the worst show of all time.

Want to hear something really scary? Instead of just burying that show, someone at SyFy was actually quoted as saying they'd like to go back and redo Flash Gordon again. Essentially a reboot, I guess, though I can't figure out why they were talking reboot so soon after it was dead. Though of course nothing has come of that announcement yet, so maybe we're safe.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Want to hear something really scary? Instead of just burying that show, someone at SyFy was actually quoted as saying they'd like to go back and redo Flash Gordon again. Essentially a reboot, I guess, though I can't figure out why they were talking reboot so soon after it was dead. Though of course nothing has come of that announcement yet, so maybe we're safe.

Flash Gordon, as a premise, is not a bad one at all, but I would not go for a reboot right now.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Flash Gordon, as a premise, is not a bad one at all, but I would not go for a reboot right now.

Yeah, maybe a movie reboot, but not a TV show. The last one has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
Gah... perish the thought. Flash Gordon is a wonderful property, but it needs someone special to do it. Whoa... wait a sec... I wonder if this is what Rockne O'Bannon proposed to them?! confused0060.gif

Nah, it couldn't be... could it?

Lilith

GateFans Noob
syfy knew when they relabeled their name and changed the professional heirarchy that they would deviate from their old audience. They expected the loss in viewers to be balanced by the increase in viewer from the different direction that they were steering the programming in. Does my viewership matter to sci-fi... nope. Hasn't for years since I removed them from my viewing package. I watch what airs from sci-fi on the CW the next week if I'm interested. NO, I still don't watch SGU even on CW. SCI-FI is a business and they are able to attract enough viewers from the current programming they have to satisfy board members or they are able to explain (put a positive spin on a negative number) it in a corporate meeting that flies with the members. It is a crap shoot to produce and bring to the small screen any production with guaranteed #'s. That animal doesn't exist and was proven by the ratings SGU got. If Sci-fi learned anything is that a 2 year contract for a unproved show no matter who the producers are is a money lossing venture.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
syfy knew when they relabeled their name and changed the professional heirarchy that they would deviate from their old audience. They expected the loss in viewers to be balanced by the increase in viewer from the different direction that they were steering the programming in. Does my viewership matter to sci-fi... nope. Hasn't for years since I removed them from my viewing package. I watch what airs from sci-fi on the CW the next week if I'm interested. NO, I still don't watch SGU even on CW. SCI-FI is a business and they are able to attract enough viewers from the current programming they have to satisfy board members or they are able to explain (put a positive spin on a negative number) it in a corporate meeting that flies with the members. It is a crap shoot to produce and bring to the small screen any production with guaranteed #'s. That animal doesn't exist and was proven by the ratings SGU got. If Sci-fi learned anything is that a 2 year contract for a unproved show no matter who the producers are is a money lossing venture.
Exactly.