Why I have been a bit scarce lately

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hi!

Just wanted to bring you all up to speed on things, and why I have not been posting at my usual pace:

1) Right after returning from PA I had to help my 16 year old Border Collie pass away. Even though she felt no discomfort I was not in the best internet mood for a bit thereafter. I still miss her but will wait until the new year to get another puppy.

2) I have been moved to our IT organization which has eaten my time like an an all consuming fire. Lots of debugging and really having to push people hard to get things done (and I am not a supervisor) among other things.

3) Final planning for an excursion later this year. I will be traipsing around a bit close to Christmas going to Avebury Henge, Portsmouth, Oxford and Bath before coming home for Christmas.

So I am not going anywhere. Once I get things under more control I'll get more on pace here.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hi!

Just wanted to bring you all up to speed on things, and why I have not been posting at my usual pace:

1) Right after returning from PA I had to help my 16 year old Border Collie pass away. Even though she felt no discomfort I was not in the best internet mood for a bit thereafter. I still miss her but will wait until the new year to get another puppy.

2) I have been moved to our IT organization which has eaten my time like an an all consuming fire. Lots of debugging and really having to push people hard to get things done (and I am not a supervisor) among other things.

3) Final planning for an excursion later this year. I will be traipsing around a bit close to Christmas going to Avebury Henge, Portsmouth, Oxford and Bath before coming home for Christmas.

So I am not going anywhere. Once I get things under more control I'll get more on pace here.

I know how much you loved your sweetie. She is resting in peace. I totally get the feeling of losing a beloved pet, having gone through it twice already. So you are in the IT dept now? Great! Debugging...you are a coder now? I am learning code now myself, and also Powershell (I was weak in that area). You sound like you are making lots of course corrections in your life and that is always very stressful. I am glad you are such a strong person. :)

Your trips always result is awesome pictures, so please keep up the tradition and post them!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have been doing a lot of debugging of breaks in our production systems being caused by development scrum teams deploying improperly developed functionality as well as a major network operations issue the week before last where our gateway was not converting SSL creds to TLS properly and this caused calls to jquery to fail.

As to the pup; yes I miss her but I want too wait to bring in a new dog until I know I will n to be traveling for at least 8-12 consecutive weeks. That way he/she gets fully settled in and relaxed before I am looking at having to have them be looked after by someone else.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

I dare you to take a bath in the green water in Bath.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'll probably pass on bathing at Bath :)

As to other things, I am starting to get used to living in an IT world. Some things are okay but others annoy me to no end...

Such as the entire Agile methodology:

http://agilemethodology.org

Our organization is committed to it and frankly to me it feels like an excuse for micromanagement. Possibly this is because our Kanban team has been assigned a scrum master who is trying to run it according to Scrum principles.

Aside from this I still miss the baby but am resolved not to bring in a new pup until the new year so I have the necessary home time with it. In the meantime I am scraping, puttying and painting (may as well get it done).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

As to other things, I am starting to get used to living in an IT world. Some things are okay but others annoy me to no end...

Our organization is committed to it and frankly to me it feels like an excuse for micromanagement. Possibly this is because our Kanban team has been assigned a scrum master who is trying to run it according to Scrum principles.

Aside from this I still miss the baby but am resolved not to bring in a new pup until the new year so I have the necessary home time with it. In the meantime I am scraping, puttying and painting (may as well get it done).

You will get used to IT to a degree that other departments in the company will seem disorganized and inefficient compared to it. Fortunately, our DevOps section is very separate from Enterprise Networking and Network Operations where I work. Also SecOps and Unified Communications are also separate. We do not follow any sort of packaged methodology like Agile, but I am familiar with it. I do not know what industry you work in so I am not sure how Agile is integrated for you. I am supporting a major TV/cable/streaming studio group so there is a big fun factor. :) I chose the graveyard shift and our night shift team has a lot more leeway with procedures than the day team. I know you will end up liking IT better than most other jobs you might have had. But I am biased!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well, I guess my Agile knowledge will be going up as I have been signed up for Agile SAFe training and certification. It happens the first week of November.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

you and my hubby on agile- LOL!
and here I was thinking you were adding to your family.... ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well here I am in Atlanta taking SAFe leader training. It’s okay. Once I pass the exam I will be certifiable!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well here I am in Atlanta taking SAFe leader training. It’s okay. Once I pass the exam I will be certifiable!

With that, you will be able to run a DevOps department. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Or a Kanban team :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And....now I have an Agile SAFe 4.6 Certification. What is this? Basically it means I am certified in the Agile methodology.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
FYI I will be departing on my Portsmouth trip on December 8th.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
And....now I have an Agile SAFe 4.6 Certification. What is this? Basically it means I am certified in the Agile methodology.

this means your are safer and more agile in doing what exactly?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Agile is a methodology for the Development and deployment of software to minimize errors. SAFe stands for Scalable Agile Framework.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hi!

Checking in a bit.

I have restarted my paint and plaster operation since all the Christmas visits are done. Why has it taken so long?

Well, back around Halloween my building had to have MAJOR work performed on its plumbing. Because of the location of my place and its proximity to the water mains my entire kitchen and bathroom were completely destroyed in the process. Needless to say this led to a period of time where my place was uninhabitable, so I was living in a hotel. Even after that it has been fun and a lot of my stuff was packed away.

Well, as of last week I have a fully operational (if partly unfinished) kitchen again and a gully finished bathroom so I was able to start to unpack again. Today I recommenced plaster and paint. On January 6th I am off to Clearwater, Florida for PI Planning.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And....successful PI Planning! Now I can finish painting and resume watching The Expanse. Also, it is almost puppy time!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And....successful PI Planning! Now I can finish painting and resume watching The Expanse. Also, it is almost puppy time!
Post pics of the new puppy when you get it!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
On February 1 Charlotte joined the family! Ten month old rescue )part hound part shepherd). Right now she is in that phase where the puppy energy makes it REALLY hard for her to control herself.

IMG_0770.jpeg
IMG_0779.jpeg