Who Dominates your bookshelves?

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I've mainly been a detective and CSI-type reader. I've tried horror, but just can't seem to scare myself without visual effects. I first tried my hand at fantasy with The Warded Man, and I enjoyed that. I wasn't too thrilled with the reviews so I didn't follow up with the next edition in the tale. So I'm looking for something else in this genre to try.

I guess the first up is going to be the Jack Chalker books. I'm intrigued just from that small description. So any recommendations you can come up in this area will most likely be added to the summer reading list.

I'd suggest the books I mentioned; the Millenium series by Stieg Larsson. The movies are good too, but in Swedish. A Hollywood movie adaption based on the first book is in production, starring Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara.

Books in the series:
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played With Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I'd suggest the books I mentioned; the Millenium series by Stieg Larsson. The movies are good too, but in Swedish. A Hollywood movie adaption based on the first book is in production, starring Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara.

Books in the series:

I've heard good things about those ones too ESA

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Books or in my case Mags

I read a lot about Motorcycles, Snomobile's and Airplanes and mostly Science Magazines .

I have read

To Kill A MockingBird
Dune
Lord Of The Rings
The Bible
Every Playboy ever printed !!!
biggrin.gif

Right now I have begun to read Beyond Uhura by Nichelle Nichols . My wife brought it home from work so I thought I would give it a once over .

Hmm, Crime novels you say.
Well, of course there is good old Aggie Christie (Mary Westmacott), but for others:

1. Ellis Peters: writes stories about a monk who used to fight in the crusades and is now the local "detective-type".
  2. Patricia Cornwell writes some great stories about a character named "Kay Scarpetta" who is the Chief coroner in Virginia. (I think thats where, been I while since I read one), they are really good.
  3. Cathy Riechs writes the books "bones" is based on, but I don't recall ever having read one.
  4. James Patterson writes the books "Womens murder club" was based on, and there not to bad either.
There are a few others on my shelves, but they're are a few stand-alones on there as well.

I've read just about all of the Scarpetta novels. Her last few don't feel like the same author wrote the book. The entire vibe is just... off.

Books in the series:

Aaah, I didn't know they were called the Millenium series. I actually have that title in my Netflix queue. I figured if Hollywood is remaking it, I better watch the original before they muck it up.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Lots of theology (not surprising when in seminary) and history books. SciFi wise I lean more towards Larry Niven but also have the Dune books and a fair amount of books from other authors. For example, I have the original "I Am Legend" book by Richard Matheson (the first time anyone attempted to give vampires a scientific basis - and he did it very well). Also some Asimov (one anthology and the first three Foundation Books).

From all that 2 SciFi's that come to mind are "Downbelow Station" by CJ Cherryh - really well crafted story where you can see some of the things NuBSG tried to do, but done right in this case. Also "Orion Shall Rise" by Poul Anderson.

F

Frumenta

Stephen King
Terry Pratchett
Douglas Adams
Iain M. Banks (sci-fi, I highly recommend him)
Agatha Christie
J. K. Rowling

And on more highbrow stuff, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Niko Kazantzakis, Albert Camus, Umberto Eco. These are the authors from which I own pretty much everything they have ever published. I don't read as much as I would like anymore so I'm not very up to date with more modern stuff.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I've heard good things about those ones too ESA

Well you should give them a read when you have the time! :beckettu:

I agree -- outstanding books. :) It's sad that Larsson died suddenly, and from what I understand, prior to their publication. He never got to see what an international success his Millenium has become. either.

Indeed. What's also a shame is that there's supposed to be a laptop containing a half-finished fourth book and the architecture for a fifth, but his girlfriend has it. She never married Larsson since he didn't want her to recieve death threats as well, and as a result of that she has no right to any of his possesions (he didn't leave a will) so she's in a bit of legal battle with his family. It's too bad, because otherwise maybe another author would be able to pick up where he left off. But of course the issue with that would be finding someone that could write in a similar style so the books don't feel radically different from the first three.

Another bad thing about his death is that he was also science fiction fan who used to write short stories (he was even the editor for a few fanzines). If he had lived maybe we could've eventually seen a science fiction book from him.

Aaah, I didn't know they were called the Millenium series. I actually have that title in my Netflix queue. I figured if Hollywood is remaking it, I better watch the original before they muck it up.

Yeah, it's a great film. The best movie adaption of a book I've seen in quite some time. The actors are great too, you can really see why Michael Nyqvist got a role in the new Mission Impossible movie, or why Noomi Rapace is in Sherlock Holmes 2 and is playing the lead Riddley Scott's new film. They really did well with the limited the numbers of actors available up here in little Sweden.
[video=youtube;JlF-hk3IJQE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlF-hk3IJQE

I'm still going to watch the American remake (though not in cinemas) because I want to see if they're able to do the material justice, and it could be fun to see American/British actors try and pronounce Swedish place names. :D

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
From all that 2 SciFi's that come to mind are "Downbelow Station" by CJ Cherryh - really well crafted story where you can see some of the things NuBSG tried to do, but done right in this case. Also "Orion Shall Rise" by Poul Anderson.
I adored Cherryh's Chanur series. I tend to reread them quite frequently.

Cherryh tends to write very strong female characters. Pyanfar Chanur rocks. ;)

And Michael Whelan's covers for that particular series are the best.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I adored Cherryh's Chanur series. I tend to reread them quite frequently.

Cherryh tends to write very strong female characters. Pyanfar Chanur rocks. ;)

And Michael Whelan's covers for that particular series are the best.

She does indeed.

Try to picture Signy Mallory in SGU....

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Given Mallory's nature a lot of things would have happened differently - picture Mallory instead of Col. Young.

The military personnel would have been under strict discipline. Remember in Downbelow Station she had one of her combat units open fire on another one because of substandard performance in combat. Her response to the Mutiny would have been to exterminate the mutineers and likely Rush would have been shot early on.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I love Issac Asmov books, god damn he is one hell of a sci-fi writer :o. Also, I happen to own a lot of star trek too.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I love Azimov

I love Issac Asmov books, god damn he is one hell of a sci-fi writer :o. Also, I happen to own a lot of star trek too.

Also I love Ray Bradbury and obscure anthologies of LOTS of stories in a single book. Always good suprises in those. My latest one is the Twenty Sixth Edition of the Year's Best Science Fiction edited by Gardner Dozois. Great stories in there.

BTW, heisenberg, isnt it about time you had an avatar? :D

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Also I love Ray Bradbury and obscure anthologies of LOTS of stories in a single book. Always good suprises in those. My latest one is the Twenty Sixth Edition of the Year's Best Science Fiction edited by Gardner Dozois. Great stories in there.

I haven't had time to get time to read Ray Bradbury's stuff(bloody studies!)...but do want to venture across reading his stuff.

BTW, heisenberg, isnt it about time you had an avatar? :D

Yes...indeed...Got any suggestions? Perhaps Werner Heisenberg, who developed the theory on the uncertainity principle...?

225px-Bundesarchiv_Bild183-R57262%2C_Werner_Heisenberg.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There you go!

I haven't had time to get time to read Ray Bradbury's stuff(bloody studies!)...but do want to venture across reading his stuff.

Yes...indeed...Got any suggestions? Perhaps Werner Heisenberg, who developed the theory on the uncertainity principle...?

225px-Bundesarchiv_Bild183-R57262%2C_Werner_Heisenberg.jpg

Much much better. :)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Reading R Scott Bakker now.

I read the Millennium trilogy, it got to be really unbelievable after the first book and just hated the main guy. But they were a pretty good read.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
Let me know how it is?

Its pretty good plot wise. great character voices aswell. Its obvious from reading the book that these authors loved sga and sg1. There are some instances i dont like and one direction i can see these authors going, that i disagree with completly. But i enjoyed the rest of the book so much, im more than willing to read the rest of the series as it comes.
I dont want to spoil it for you by telling you to much (unless you want certain info) but ive read all the sga books available and this is in my top 3 of all of them.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Reading R Scott Bakker now.

I read the Millennium trilogy, it got to be really unbelievable after the first book and just hated the main guy. But they were a pretty good read.

What did you find to be the most unbelievable about them?