Which are the best options when looking at smartphones for photography

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Google's algorithms can automatically stitch photo's together. I found out by accident when I took two pictures from the same spot in two different directions. The algorithms detected that these pictures could be sewn together. I got a notification on my phone that my new panoramic picture was ready. So I checked it out and there it was. Surprised the hell out of me.

Today I found myself in a position to put it to the test. I was on a bridge in Belfast (just taking a stroll, not about to jump off) and took three pictures from the same spot making sure that the edges of each would overlap slightly. Lo and behold a couple of minutes later I received a notification. All three pictures were stiched together to form a large panorama. This is the result.

dbYInwZ.jpg

I must note that this process has lowered the resolution. The panorama is only about 1.6 MB while the three pictures separately are each about 2.8 MB. Also when zooming in there are one or two spots where you can see that the pictures don't align perfectly. Overall it's still an impressive job though.

I wonder how far you could take this. Perhaps a 360 degree panoramic view? :)

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, there is actually not a hard line where the pictures are stitched. Apparently the algorithms can stitch various parts at differing locations. I guess supposedly that makes it work better.
I love that photo . Good eye
;)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Iphones suck for photo's
. I miss my LG5 for that alone . It took amazing pics . Shame the phone sucked ,,,
My daughter has the Pixel and seems to like it . She had an iphone but it was not up to snuff for what she wanted it to do .
I should have done the same ,,,

;(

Pixel 2's are currently selling for much lower prices than what I paid for it. They're trying to get rid of their stock before the Pixel 3 arrives in October.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I love that photo . Good eye
;)

That one was just a test shot to see whether Google could automatically stitch 3 photos together. And then they did. There are minor faults which you can only spot when zooming in. And the individual pictures lost resolution due to the resizing and aligning, but overall the result was impressive.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Apparently the Pixel 2 is no longer the best phone around as far as photography is concerned. The crown has been stolen by the Huawei P20 Pro. And deservedly so I should add. When I look at some comparison pictures on the DXOmark website the difference is like night and day. At least for the night time shots. Pixel 2 and iPhone X look grainy whereas the P20 Pro still provides crispy clear shots. Have a look for yourself.

https://www.dxomark.com/huawei-p20-pro-camera-review-innovative-technologies-outstanding-results/

It delivers some quite amazing shots.

There are several other phones by the way which received higher marks from this website than the Pixel 2. Still, the Google phone still only uses a single lens where most phones use dual lenses and the P20 Pro uses three. (!) I'm hoping the Pixel 3 will make another stride forward for photography, but we'll have to wait a few months to find out. Unless the rumors I've seen are true that Google might launch in September instead of October.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
As usual I'm not able to upload images in a post that I'm trying to edit, so I'll add this separately.

p20pro1.png

p20pro2.png