Where are the role-models?

Demerzel

GateFans Noob
One of my biggest complaints about SGU is the clear lack of role models. I could watch SG-1 and SGA with my kids (I don't have kids, but you know what I mean) and point to Carter and say to my kids, "Be like Carter." I can't do that with SGU.

Wray and Rush are role models for scheming and un-caring politicians, but not for everyday life. I don't think I need to say why Young and Scott are not role models. Chloe leads Eli on and does nothing to contribute, which makes her a poor role model for women. Eli lets himself get led on and watches the crew, including Lt. James in her underwear, with his Kino like Big Brother. The only character that I consider a role model (or close to that) is TJ. She was thrown on that ship with limited medical supplies and basic medical knowledge (she had not gone to med school at the time the series began). She stepped up and adapted to her new position and did pretty well with it. She's not perfect, but I can respect her.

The writers and producers have said that they want to have flawed characters in SGU as if there were no flawed characters on SG-1 or Atlantis. McKay was very arrogant and whiny. Ronon's solution to every problem was to kill it. Those are some important character flaws. But in SG-1 and SGA, the characters overcome their flaws in times of adversity, which is very admirable. In SGU the character flaws completely dominate the characters to the point where that's all you see, and there's no character growth from facing and dealing with those flaws. As a result, the show is full of characters I not only dislike, but can use as examples for what not to do. Thoughts?

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
JohnSN7 said:
One of my biggest complaints about SGU is the clear lack of role models. I could watch SG-1 and SGA with my kids (I don't have kids, but you know what I mean) and point to Carter and say to my kids, "Be like Carter." I can't do that with SGU.

Wray and Rush are role models for scheming and un-caring politicians, but not for everyday life. I don't think I need to say why Young and Scott are not role models. Chloe leads Eli on and does nothing to contribute, which makes her a poor role model for women. Eli lets himself get led on and watches the crew, including Lt. James in her underwear, with his Kino like Big Brother. The only character that I consider a role model (or close to that) is TJ. She was thrown on that ship with limited medical supplies and basic medical knowledge (she had not gone to med school at the time the series began). She stepped up and adapted to her new position and did pretty well with it. She's not perfect, but I can respect her.

The writers and producers have said that they want to have flawed characters in SGU as if there were no flawed characters on SG-1 or Atlantis. McKay was very arrogant and whiny. Ronon's solution to every problem was to kill it. Those are some important character flaws. But in SG-1 and SGA, the characters overcome their flaws in times of adversity, which is very admirable. In SGU the character flaws completely dominate the characters to the point where that's all you see, and there's no character growth from facing and dealing with those flaws. As a result, the show is full of characters I not only dislike, but can use as examples for what not to do. Thoughts?

its very difficult to care for someone who has no redeeming qualities. with these characters they are already disliked so any redeeming that happens will feel off or forced (much like the drama)

important q's to me when watching a series with the main characters in jeopdy is:
do i care if there hurt?"
do i still think about an ep days afterwards?
do i connect to any of them?
does it draw me in and keep me there for the full 45 mins its on?

if i awnser NO to any of these then i dont watch it, as im doing with SGPOO

Exile

GateFans Noob
Great post! That's exactly my thoughts too! They focus so much on the flaws of the characters and the drama of their relationships, they've forgotten to balance it out with something positive. They keep bragging how mature and realistic this is, but the thing is, it's just the bad sides of reality, overwhelmingly the negative traits of humanity. It's like the people who wrote it and defend it think that reality is the same things as the reality shows. These characters are petty little people doing petty little things to each other, and I can't understand how anybody can find pleasure in watching these people and their doings!

I fully agree about the SGA characters, they were flawed heroes, struggling to overcome their flaws or letting teammates make up for their flaws, like maybe with Rodney and Ronon together, Rodney would handle the thinking and Ronon the fighting. The SGU characters are wallowing and revelling in their flaws, with the occasional glint of sanity and honor like what little I've seen of TJ ( until it became all about her baby and its father ).

stclare

Exile said:
Great post! That's exactly my thoughts too! They focus so much on the flaws of the characters and the drama of their relationships, they've forgotten to balance it out with something positive. They keep bragging how mature and realistic this is, but the thing is, it's just the bad sides of reality, overwhelmingly the negative traits of humanity. It's like the people who wrote it and defend it think that reality is the same things as the reality shows. These characters are petty little people doing petty little things to each other, and I can't understand how anybody can find pleasure in watching these people and their doings!

I fully agree about the SGA characters, they were flawed heroes, struggling to overcome their flaws or letting teammates make up for their flaws, like maybe with Rodney and Ronon together, Rodney would handle the thinking and Ronon the fighting. The SGU characters are wallowing and revelling in their flaws, with the occasional glint of sanity and honor like what little I've seen of TJ ( until it became all about her baby and its father ).

OK. Now all i can picture is a load of pigs with the sgu casts face on them rolling around in the mud.
Bad Exile :?

Exile

GateFans Noob
stclare said:
OK. Now all i can picture is a load of pigs with the sgu casts face on them rolling around in the mud.

That's it! I'm calling the animal rights organizations! An insult like that is most definitely animal abuse! :p

stclare

Exile said:
stclare said:

That's it! I'm calling the animal rights organizations! An insult like that is most definitely animal abuse! :p

there prbably already there! im sure Rush's hair is sentient :mrgreen:

Exile

GateFans Noob
stclare said:
there prbably already there! im sure Rush's hair is sentient :mrgreen:

:D Yes, and it will probably be declaring independence any day now!

Actually, I always think when I see banners/siggies saying "Rush needs a bath": "No, he needs an exterminator!". :p

It's funny, before SGU started, I watched an interview with Carlyle, and I thought he had charisma and that I could probably find a character played by him attractive... but from what I've seen of Rush ( or any of the SGU characters really ) all they can do is act like zombies or scream or cry. No normal emotional range. Not the actors' faults I guess...

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Exile said:
It's funny, before SGU started, I watched an interview with Carlyle, and I thought he had charisma and that I could probably find a character played by him attractive... but from what I've seen of Rush ( or any of the SGU characters really ) all they can do is act like zombies or scream or cry. No normal emotional range. Not the actors' faults I guess...

I'll admit now that I had great respect for him. I still do but I just have to forget this whole Universe gig ever happened to him. What a waste. Remember that part he played not long ago in the 24 direct to disc episode?

He should be cranking out movies, not bobbing up and down in the blue fish alien's toilet. :lol:

stclare

SG-Rocks said:
Exile said:

I'll admit now that I had great respect for him. I still do but I just have to forget this whole Universe gig ever happened to him. What a waste. Remember that part he played not long ago in the 24 direct to disc episode?

He should be cranking out movies, not bobbing up and down in the blue fish alien's toilet. :lol:

Just no. Thats just wrong. first Exile had me seeing pigs in mud now this??? whats a poor girl like me supposed to do to cope with these images :<< Ok whos up for manipping this :?:

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
I agree that the lack of role models is a big problem. Not only that, the main characters are mostly so despicable that I actually want them to die. The only one I like a little bit is TJ, and potentially Telford after his brainwashing is removed.

The LA characters are turning out to be just as bad, so far, it looks like (I saw the last three episodes of the season one day when I was really bored). Kiva is so cruel that she was going to execute the pregnant TJ - until she decided TJ was useful as a medic? Come on, even when talking about evil villains, most baddies would be a little reluctant to kill a pregnant hostage first. I think they might have been trying to make Mike Dopud's character a little nicer, but his dialog with TJ was just laughable (he sounded like a little six year-old when he was asking her for a "truce"). Also, he might just be saying those somewhat sympathetic things because he thinks TJ is hot.

Insomnium

GateFans Cadet
Just no. Thats just wrong. first Exile had me seeing pigs in mud now this??? whats a poor girl like me supposed to do to cope with these images :<<

MotivatorBrainBleach2.jpg

trelaine

GateFans Noob
you guys are too funny!

sentient hair? bobbing up and down in an alien's toilet? LOL!!

Now, where were we? oh yes, role models. I have been wondering the same thing. I don't know why they want to race to the bottom to imitate these trashy reality shows. I mean, c'mon! Some drama/comedies should inspire us to be better people, shouldn't it? Character flaws in great people make for classic heroes. Why not aspire to that? What better venue than science fiction? Hello?

I think what we want is more like classic literature when all the SGU people want to give us is crappy dime novels.

stclare

sentient hair? bobbing up and down in an alien's toilet? LOL!!

Now, where were we? oh yes, role models. I have been wondering the same thing. I don't know why they want to race to the bottom to imitate these trashy reality shows. I mean, c'mon! Some drama/comedies should inspire us to be better people, shouldn't it? Character flaws in great people make for classic heroes. Why not aspire to that? What better venue than science fiction? Hello?

I think what we want is more like classic literature when all the SGU people want to give us is crappy dime novels.

I dont think these writters have the balls to take this show dark and be realistic. to my mind its very wishy washy.
I see realistic banded about but have yet to see much realism. shouldnt Chloe be dead by now along with some more of the main characters? apparently realism only counts when knocking boots.