What will the Future bring? Fears, Hopes and Trends.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

throw_up.jpg

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
O jeez...tell me please....what kind of fish is that, and is it cooked? It looks awful. :(

I think it's herring. You'd have to get OMNI's opinion to be sure though. ;)

*As for being cooked or not, again, who knows? In a land of fish-gobbling bastards they probably don't worry too much about cooking things. Then again, they probably haven't mastered the power of fire (other than as a destructive force) so can we really blame them for eating fish raw?

B

Backstep

I think it's herring. You'd have to get OMNI's opinion to be sure though. ;)

*As for being cooked or not, again, who knows? In a land of fish-gobbling bastards they probably don't worry too much about cooking things. Then again, they probably haven't mastered the power of fire (other than as a destructive force) so can we really blame them for eating fish raw?

The poor, poor Gävlebocken can never last till xmass :moody:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
well 1984 came - just 30 years later. If you can't see that then you've just come to love "big brother". If Orwell was off a few years no surprise - he correctly predicted what technology would do in the hands of bureaucrats. We have had "newspeak" since the PC days of the clintons.

I doubt that anytime in the next 50 or 60 years we will be on the moon again or visiting other planets in our solar system - it seems the "will" isn't there anymore. technology is improving for sure- heading heavily into "brave new world" territory but far from "Logan's Run" dead when you're 30 land. Asimov admitted he had not "foreseen" the miniturization of computer technology (hence Multivac), although he predicted robotic surgery (bicentennial man) and the increased use of robots in manufacturing.

we are living longer and healthier, but has the condition of mankind improved at all?

B

Backstep

well 1984 came - just 30 years later. If you can't see that then you've just come to love "big brother". If Orwell was off a few years no surprise - he correctly predicted what technology would do in the hands of bureaucrats. We have had "newspeak" since the PC days of the clintons.

I doubt that anytime in the next 50 or 60 years we will be on the moon again or visiting other planets in our solar system - it seems the "will" isn't there anymore. technology is improving for sure- heading heavily into "brave new world" territory but far from "Logan's Run" dead when you're 30 land. Asimov admitted he had not "foreseen" the miniturization of computer technology (hence Multivac), although he predicted robotic surgery (bicentennial man) and the increased use of robots in manufacturing.

we are living longer and healthier, but has the condition of mankind improved at all?

Who is we? Looks like the Chinese are still on track for the Moon. With Bush and the rightwing Congress listening to Rush Limbaugh that, NASA, space travel and space exploration is the biggest waist of taxpayer money, we see how that all worked out. It was not until the Chinese and India announced their plans that Bush reversed course with an overly priced plan with underfunding to go back to the moon. As for the Shuttle;

Neither Glenn nor Carpenter is happy that the U.S. currently lacks a way to get astronauts to space. In his remarks Friday, Glenn blamed the Bush Administration for its decision to retire the shuttle without having a viable replacement lined up.
http://www.space.com/14622-nasa-john-glenn-nasa-spaceflight-future.html

Obama's plan is not much better.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Who is we? Looks like the Chinese are still on track for the Moon. With Bush and the rightwing Congress listening to Rush Limbaugh that, NASA, space travel and space exploration is the biggest waist of taxpayer money, we see how that all worked out. It was not until the Chinese and India announced their plans that Bush reversed course with an overly priced plan with underfunding to go back to the moon. As for the Shuttle;

I see the Chinese as becoming the torch bearer for future space exploration. They effectively own the United States along with Russia, since both have bonds held between them which fund the US debt. They are developing the technology and they are starting with already proven technology as a base. They have the money, the cheap labor and evidently the determination to do it.

Meanwhile, the United States has dumped the NASA Space Program and opened it up to private enterprise (and profit) which I think spells doom for scientific exploration.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Kiddo it was Jimmy carter & the dems who began the defunding of NASA back in the 70's. that was when the Apollo missions were scrubbed. Personally I have never heard Rush say a word about NASA being a waste of money- he is one who often touted the benefits we have gained from the space program- do you have a reliable reference? One of the biggest problems with the NASA budget is that it was annual. Congress should have given NASA a 10 year budget. Too many people in congress saw that money as pork they were owed. (on both sides of the aisle)

Oh come now boys- Obama's plan is great - he said NASA's mission is to make the muslims feel good about their contributions to science you know!
SPACE.com said:
NASA chief Charles Bolden's remarks caused a stir among commentators.
"When I became the NASA administrator, (President Obama ) charged me with three things," Bolden said in the interview which aired last week. "One, he wanted me to help re-inspire children to want to get into science and math ; he wanted me to expand our international relationships; and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math and engineering."
http://www.space.com/8725-nasa-chief-bolden-muslim-remark-al-jazeera-stir.html

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Kiddo it was Jimmy carter & the dems who began the defunding of NASA back in the 70's. that was when the Apollo missions were scrubbed. Personally I have never heard Rush say a word about NASA being a waste of money- he is one who often touted the benefits we have gained from the space program- do you have a reliable reference? One of the biggest problems with the NASA budget is that it was annual. Congress should have given NASA a 10 year budget. Too many people in congress saw that money as pork they were owed. (on both sides of the aisle)

Oh come now boys- Obama's plan is great - he said NASA's mission is to make the muslims feel good about their contributions to science you know!

Nice dodge of context there.
Couldn't be that encouraging a bunch of nations that currently have a theocratic stranglehold on them would benefit from being reminded that there was once a time where they were one of the leading lights in scientific innovation and inquiry and that if they were reminded of that they may drop extremist narrative that is dominating their countries at all??

Nah..................

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
are you blind to what is happeneing cross the World today? 1984 is coming for f'cking sure

1984 is just a date of course-- One could argue that many of the items in Orwell's work are alive and well today-just in watered down, easier to handle versions. FAHRENHEIT 451 as well--in a way, we can see the ideas in that book (dumbing down society, knowledge as a disability,etc) around today. On the mere visual side of it, look at how many books are being destroyed.cast away/recycled in favor of the new idiot box-the Kindle, et al... Once all of the primary and secondary sourced books have been destroyed then the "man" can control and edit the digital content at will.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
WHA? The opening post is objective and does not contain any of the vision of the future like the rest of the comments do. That was intentional. :) When I wrote that the 1984 scenario did not happen in 1984, I was stating the facts. I was trying to illustrate that the vision of the future formed decades (or centuries) ago did not turn out the way they were envisioned. Today, that is best summed up by the oft used term "Where is my flying car?".

:rolleye0014: :winking0052:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I have seen so many models of flying car, but none of them can fly yet. :( (this one does not yet exist). Most are cars with airplane wings grafted on and must take off and land at an airport which to me is not in the spirit of the "flying car". This vehicle you showed is much closer to the vision than many, but it isn't the first. The Skycar has been in development for 20 years, and they actually do have flying prototype:

http://moller.com/dev/

article-2268402-172981B5000005DC-260_634x355.jpg

Moller_Skycars.jpg

In the spirit of the flying car, the flight controls and ground operation should be able to be handled by an "average" driver, flying by him or herself in the vehicle.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Nice dodge of context there.
Couldn't be that encouraging a bunch of nations that currently have a theocratic stranglehold on them would benefit from being reminded that there was once a time where they were one of the leading lights in scientific innovation and inquiry and that if they were reminded of that they may drop extremist narrative that is dominating their countries at all??

Nah..................

Uh gee don't you think it would be a wiser use of talent and & diplomacy to use the STATE DEPARTMENT, National Science foundation, or the US department of education rather than waste the time & talents of the NATIONAL AERONAUTICS and SPACE ADMINISTRATION??? :facepalm: :facepalm:

so is anyone watching Intelligence? where a guy gets a chip implanted in his brain (ent's phlox is the MD who implanted it) and it causes him to interface with with the net, satellites, etc?? interesting idea ...how far from reality is it really or is it merely the future?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Uh gee don't you think it would be a wiser use of talent and & diplomacy to use the STATE DEPARTMENT, National Science foundation, or the US department of education rather than waste the time & talents of the NATIONAL AERONAUTICS and SPACE ADMINISTRATION??? :facepalm: :facepalm:

so is anyone watching Intelligence? where a guy gets a chip implanted in his brain (ent's phlox is the MD who implanted it) and it causes him to interface with with the net, satellites, etc?? interesting idea ...how far from reality is it really or is it merely the future?

All of the scenarios where people have stuff "implanted" into their bodies I tend to disregard. I don't know many people who even like going to a doctor for a checkup, and the vast vast majority of people globally do not ever need or get any sort of surgery. What makes anyone think that the future will involve people getting implanted with technology? Who would agree to it? But I am very very interested in seeing this show!

mzzz

Well Known GateFan

Do you watch Person of Interest? Think you'd like it.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
side note: you can only reply to one post at a time- why is the multi-quote functionality gone?
Do you watch Person of Interest? Think you'd like it.

we tried but then Hubby thinks it's too close to what is going on now - with NSA spying and all that jazz. ;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
All of the scenarios where people have stuff "implanted" into their bodies I tend to disregard. I don't know many people who even like going to a doctor for a checkup, and the vast vast majority of people globally do not ever need or get any sort of surgery. What makes anyone think that the future will involve people getting implanted with technology? Who would agree to it? But I am very very interested in seeing this show!

I agree!!! However, you know someone wants to be the first-and have been:

Here's another cheerleader who has undergone several implants

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Perhaps the NSF, but the diplomacy creds of the US state dept are not exactly sterling in the middle east, and the Dpt of education, you are joking, right??

Space is somewhere where we could all go, and hopefully leave our earthbound prejudices behind us, so yes, I see a very good reason to use a relatively (at least perceived) neutral part of the US governmental engine to achive a diplomatic goal.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree!!! However, you know someone wants to be the first-and have been:

Here's another cheerleader who has undergone several implants

Big dummy. OMG, perhaps he wants to volunteer for the first severed head reattachment surgery too? :facepalm:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

Actually, that started with Nixon.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

Care to document your claim that Rush said that NASA, space travel and space exploration are the biggest wastes of taxpayer money?