What sort of Stargate do you want to see come back?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was just watching some Stargate Atlantis, and I found an episode with this battle in it. The clip is about 10 minutes, but you will want to watch the whole thing. Once you do, read the rest...

Okay, that was AWESOME, right? Yeah, but is it really Stargate? I don't think so. I just watched Stargate too (the movie). By the time of Atlantis, and especially during scenes like this, it became Star Trek meets Star Wars meets Starcraft. It was already far from it's original premise, and for me that is not a good thing.

So, the original story and movie was about an ancient device unearthed in the Egyptian desert which had the power to transport people from one earthlike planet to another which had a similar stargate on it. The creators of the gates were a mystery, and should have stayed that way (we should never have met them). The aliens who had taken over the network and used advanced technology (snakeheads) also had weaknesses, which made things interesting and not so one sided. We had the SGC and a cobbled together dialer which could activate the gate.

Having laid it out like that, we can still do Stargate and center it on traveling through that gate like SG-1 did. We can make friends (and enemies), but we do not have to have a Teal'c. Daniel Jackson and Jack O'Neil are less important than the stargate itself. Samantha Carter could have carried SG-1 in Daniel's role. Anybody got ideas?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I should also mention that I thought the new Stargate Origins thing was awful. We already had the origins of the gate. We did not need that story. And putting it back in time to the 1930s, who was that supposed to appeal to that is in the Stargate fanbase? Would anybody watch a Firefly show which was about the families of the mechanics and engineers who built the Firefly? Its like that. Did anyone watch it?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I was just watching some Stargate Atlantis, and I found an episode with this battle in it. The clip is about 10 minutes, but you will want to watch the whole thing. Once you do, read the rest...

Okay, that was AWESOME, right? Yeah, but is it really Stargate? I don't think so. I just watched Stargate too (the movie). By the time of Atlantis, and especially during scenes like this, it became Star Trek meets Star Wars meets Starcraft. It was already far from it's original premise, and for me that is not a good thing.

So, the original story and movie was about an ancient device unearthed in the Egyptian desert which had the power to transport people from one earthlike planet to another which had a similar stargate on it. The creators of the gates were a mystery, and should have stayed that way (we should never have met them). The aliens who had taken over the network and used advanced technology (snakeheads) also had weaknesses, which made things interesting and not so one sided. We had the SGC and a cobbled together dialer which could activate the gate.

Having laid it out like that, we can still do Stargate and center it on traveling through that gate like SG-1 did. We can make friends (and enemies), but we do not have to have a Teal'c. Daniel Jackson and Jack O'Neil are less important than the stargate itself. Samantha Carter could have carried SG-1 in Daniel's role. Anybody got ideas?
This is neither stargate or star trek. It's just a good to watch and good suspense. Star trek had very little battles but this was a great package of great story telling, with suspense and action on screen.

We can have anything we want but we don't have the driver's seat. We don't control the franchise. Did you know that both SGA and SG-1 was cancelled by Sci-fi not because of the ratings but management were douchebags

https://www.gatefans.net/gforums/th...-never-happened-blame-syfy.28895/#post-916946

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is neither stargate or star trek. It's just a good to watch and good suspense. Star trek had very little battles but this was a great package of great story telling, with suspense and action on screen.

We can have anything we want but we don't have the driver's seat. We don't control the franchise. Did you know that both SGA and SG-1 was cancelled by Sci-fi not because of the ratings but management were douchebags

https://www.gatefans.net/gforums/th...-never-happened-blame-syfy.28895/#post-916946

Perhaps, but the majority of the fault lies with Brad Wright. The network gave him free reign to make SGU, gave him way more money than they gave for Atlantis and SG-1, produced the Stargate movies, and let him have creative control. Ratings killed it more than anything else. And, it was just not Stargate.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I loved Teal'c! But he is not essential to Stargate, and neither is the SG-1 team. Daniel Jackson, or some other super nerdy geek with high intelligence was/is needed to unravel the tech of the gate and form technical strategies to give earth the advantage over enemies encountered while traveling through the gate. That could have been a civilian Sam Carter (as a scientist). Jack O'Neill was supposed to be more like Teal'c was...basic, purpose driven, a "good soldier" who follows orders. SG-1 morphed him into a wisecracking team captain. None of the rest of SG-1 is an essential part of the original story. But the military is. We need an SGC and a general who is in charge and directs decisions for the use of the stargate. We don't need any ships at all. And no Goa'uld. They can fix that too.

I loved Teal'c! But he is not essential to Stargate, and neither is the SG-1 team. Daniel Jackson, or some other super nerdy geek with high intelligence was/is needed to unravel the tech of the gate and form technical strategies to give earth the advantage over enemies encountered while traveling through the gate. That could have been a civilian Sam Carter (as a scientist). Jack O'Neill was supposed to be more like Teal'c was...basic, purpose driven, a "good soldier" who follows orders. SG-1 morphed him into a wisecracking team captain. None of the rest of SG-1 is an essential part of the original story. But the military is. We need an SGC and a general who is in charge and directs decisions for the use of the stargate. We don't need any ships at all. And no Goa'uld. They can fix that too.

I've always maintained that the problem with the Stargate TV shows was that they were highly "derivative" of other scifi shows and movies. The Goa'uld parasite was done many times before Brad Wright magically came up with the idea. And in the last couple of seasons the tech was pure Star Trek. They didn't even try to hide it.

If Stargate comes back I'd much rather see something more in line with the original movie.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
If there is a new Stargate coming, I hope it will be rooted in mythology like SG-1 was. I really loved the concept of ancient gods being aliens and the way they combined "magical stories" with advanced technology. I also hope that it will be based around exploration and discovery. And ethical dilemmas would be welcome as well, as long as it would be properly done like in Star Trek TNG and not in the SJW way "they" appear to love doing things these days. Not preachy, but educational and inspirational. I'd also like it if the human race were portrayed to be more primitive compared to the advanced alien races. The way they ramped up human knowledge of technology went way too fast in SG-1 overall, although I must admit that I found it pretty awesome when the Prometheus was first shown. (Was that their first big ship? If not, then I mean their first big ship.)

Edit: Funnily enough, despite all the religions they touched on in SG-1, they never once hinted at Christianity. I guess that would just be a tad too close to home for Americans. No aliens walking on water turning bread into fishes here please. Right?

If there is a new Stargate coming, I hope it will be rooted in mythology like SG-1 was. I really loved the concept of ancient gods being aliens and the way they combined "magical stories" with advanced technology. I also hope that it will be based around exploration and discovery. And ethical dilemmas would be welcome as well, as long as it would be properly done like in Star Trek TNG and not in the SJW way "they" appear to love doing things these days. Not preachy, but educational and inspirational. I'd also like it if the human race were portrayed to be more primitive compared to the advanced alien races. The way they ramped up human knowledge of technology went way too fast in SG-1 overall, although I must admit that I found it pretty awesome when the Prometheus was first shown. (Was that their first big ship? If not, then I mean their first big ship.)

Edit: Funnily enough, despite all the religions they touched on in SG-1, they never once hinted at Christianity. I guess that would just be a tad too close to home for Americans. No aliens walking on water turning bread into fishes here please. Right?

I don't disagree with you but want to point out that I'm tired of so-called "science fiction" shows portraying aliens as smart enough to figure out faster-than-light travel while at the same time wearing togas, robes and bed sheets as fashion statements.

astartrek.jpg

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I don't disagree with you but want to point out that I'm tired of so-called "science fiction" shows portraying aliens as smart enough to figure out faster-than-light travel while at the same time wearing togas, robes and bed sheets as fashion statements.

View attachment 34294
Lol. Yeah. Although I also don't like humans walking around in futuristic gear made of latex or rubber, just because it's the future and it has to look different. Why would humans no longer wear jeans 100 years from now for example, or t-shirts. Those things are just comfortable. I can imagine a toga can also feel quite comfortable by the way. Or maybe in the future people will feel more comfortable without clothes, who knows. But you couldn't put that on TV now because it's not a hundred years from now yet. So they have to wear something. What would you like to see them wear?

Lol. Yeah. Although I also don't like humans walking around in futuristic gear made of latex or rubber, just because it's the future and it has to look different. Why would humans no longer wear jeans 100 years from now for example, or t-shirts. Those things are just comfortable. I can imagine a toga can also feel quite comfortable by the way. Or maybe in the future people will feel more comfortable without clothes, who knows. But you couldn't put that on TV now because it's not a hundred years from now yet. So they have to wear something. What would you like to see them wear?

Robes and togas are a cheap production short cut. The original Star Trek got away with it a lot because it had a lot of old Hollywood influence and there were budget concerns, etc. This is forgivable for the 60's. But now that we're well into the 21st Century I'd like to see more thought put into what aliens would wear. When it comes to scifi we usually get fashion choices from ancient Rome, a Renaissance fair or 1970's gold lame' disco.

As for what I want to see, well, is it asking too much to see something that's more functional than a draped gown on someone that is supposedly from an advanced race? The outfit doesn't have to be super stylish, but it should be simple and practical. I would assume that any species capable of light travel really wouldn't want to be prancing around in Julius Caesar garb. It seems cumbersome and impractical. As you suggest, denim would be a nice choice.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Robes and togas are a cheap production short cut. The original Star Trek got away with it a lot because it had a lot of old Hollywood influence and there were budget concerns, etc. This is forgivable for the 60's. But now that we're well into the 21st Century I'd like to see more thought put into what aliens would wear. When it comes to scifi we usually get fashion choices from ancient Rome, a Renaissance fair or 1970's gold lame' disco.

As for what I want to see, well, is it asking too much to see something that's more functional than a draped gown on someone that is supposedly from an advanced race? The outfit doesn't have to be super stylish, but it should be simple and practical. I would assume that any species capable of light travel really wouldn't want to be prancing around in Julius Caesar garb. It seems cumbersome and impractical. As you suggest, denim would be a nice choice.

The clothing styles seen in Demolition Man would be perfect IMO.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Lol at that picture Pussy. And right on with Demolition Man. I should rewatch that movie again sometime soon. Might even go look for a ratburger.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

There was a scene where Tealc says that the monotheistic deities in modern Earth religions were too altruistic for them to be used by the Goaul as disguises.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
There was a scene where Tealc says that the monotheistic deities in modern Earth religions were too altruistic for them to be used by the Goaul as disguises.
Which episode is that in?