Venom starring Tom Hardy

heisenberg

Earl Grey
It'a not the venom we know but saying that, it might be good if it's done properly.

It looks formulaic. Bad guy tropes into "anti-hero good guy". Good guy Tom Hardy wrestles with the dark side at first but ultimately wins and comes to an agreement with the symbiote to only harm bad guys. They say as much in the trailer. It's very paint-by-numbers. I can only assume Hardy took the role for the pile of cash they threw at him because it's definitely not his usual fare.

*I never jumped on the 'Tom Hardy is an amaaaaaaazing thespian!' bandwagon that all the other cattle jumped on a few years ago. The guy is an okay actor but at the same time he's incredibly forgettable. I definitely won't be paying to see this one in the theater.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
It looks formulaic. Bad guy tropes into "anti-hero good guy". Good guy Tom Hardy wrestles with the dark side at first but ultimately wins and comes to an agreement with the symbiote to only harm bad guys. They say as much in the trailer. It's very paint-by-numbers. I can only assume Hardy took the role for the pile of cash they threw at him because it's definitely not his usual fare.

*I never jumped on the 'Tom Hardy is an amaaaaaaazing thespian!' bandwagon that all the other cattle jumped on a few years ago. The guy is an okay actor but at the same time he's incredibly forgettable. I definitely won't be paying to see this one in the theater.
Most things are formulaic. They have a beginning, middle and end. What more could you want? The way I see it is how the storyline is delivered and the journey.

Most things are formulaic. They have a beginning, middle and end. What more could you want? The way I see it is how the storyline is delivered and the journey.

I admit I don't really hate this one, but I'm not fanboi-ing over it either. I prefer Venom in the context of a Spiderman story line. If they're going to spin off the character into his own story they should really do it that way. I just don't see it having much appeal when done solo this way. But whatever, I'll give it a chance. I just won't see it in a theater; I'll wait for it to hit a streaming service.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
I am not a fan of this modern day dark theme look that every single movie is having these days. But saying that like Heisenberg has said it could work.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Who the hell is Tom Hardy ? Never heard of him ,,,

:apthy:

Yeah you know who he is, but the name doesn't ring a bell. He was Picard's clone in Nemesis.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
And what the hell is a Venom ? I watched the original Spiderman Cartoon and remember a few of the badguy characters like the Rhino but do not remember Venom ?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Just watched Venom. I thought it was fun to watch. Had a couple of good laughs. And the action was pretty good as well. I am really hoping for a sequel, but I guess there will be one as they have it setup that way. Woody Harrelson will be the bad guy in that one judging from the end credits scene. :D If you haven't watched this yet, give it a go.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just watched Venom. I thought it was fun to watch. Had a couple of good laughs. And the action was pretty good as well. I am really hoping for a sequel, but I guess there will be one as they have it setup that way. Woody Harrelson will be the bad guy in that one judging from the end credits scene. :D If you haven't watched this yet, give it a go.

I haven't see this yet. :) Good to know it's worth watching!

Hugh Jass

GateFans Cadet

I didn't like that he killed Spiderman at the end! But now that Peter Parker is dead Miles Morales will come to the big screen!

512NfuH4kDL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And again Chrome won't let that gif run so I am using Torch or Firefox

Why won't your Chrome allow the gif to run, I wonder? I use Chrome almost exclusively and it runs fine. :(

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well better late than never. I recently saw this.

First off, Tom Hardy does a good job and his relationship with Venom is funny and well done. Most of the acting in the film is good and although the ending is your typical Marvel CGI fest it is at least a little shorter this time out. On the bad side it does take a bit of time to really get going, and the first hour is a little boring - it is worth it however as once Venom and Eddie are joined it really takes off.

From the reviews so far, Venom: Let There be Carnage is faster paced and really entertaining. I will hopefully find out soon.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
still hoping he gets around to S2 of TABOO

S1 was done like a well written historical-fiction novel

I like my MCU characters more "EARTHY" and not so freakish like Venom