VAN HELSING (SYFY series) all seasons

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well OM1 said start a thread on it, so, ok OM, I'll be your Huckleberry :)

it is definitely a watchable and mostly entertaining show, though I can not stop wondering, as both series are based on graphic novels- if the writer of the Van Helsing graphic novels lifted ideas from the writer of the WALKING DEAD g.n's or the other way around?

so many themes -- "we found a group of survivors who have order and security..oh wait, they have a dark secret" schtick is a major commonality between the two stories.

PROS

it is an exciting show with the right amount of action

good use of weapons and resources; but with no 'magic ammo mags' that never run out of bullets

a vampire can be killed or seriously disabled by a gunshot or stab wound anywhere to the body

so far, the vampire outbreak is based on somewhat believable (for a fantasy show) er..science. A possible virus or mutation? Vaccines and cures explored. Vampires can be turned back to human thereby the elimination of a supernatural cause ("the devil did it")

also, the vampires are enabled to go out in the day and make their attack after the Yellowstone 'super volcano' blows. partially obscuring the sun enough for their daytime movement

good acting; many of the familiar faces we see in other shows made in the Vancouver area appear here. Luckily they are some of the better ones. Christopher Heyerdahl and Vincent Gale in particular.

CONS

Far too many Social Justice Warrior issues are forced into the plot and dialogue. Some include the girl next door who kicks the ass of the abusive boyfriend to the hot chick next door. Mind you, after the hot chick had the situation in hand and kicked the guy out.

then we get the head vampire with a anti gun line seemingly out of no where- "stupid humans with their silly guns". But, though we do not see them using guns directly, it is implied that vampires use firearms as well ( i mean why wouldn't they? why let the humans have a standoff advantage?)

Too much romance post apocalypse. Yeah, if humans are too survive they got to breed, but is that really on your mind when you are being chased down by a army of vampires?

Christopher Heyerdahl's talents are mainly wasted in season 1, although, to be fair, this can be seen as necessary while in season 2 when his acting performance becomes awesome

the effects of the Yellowstone volcano are not realistic. Yes, we get some partial sun impediment, but we get no 'volcanic winter'. no drop in temperature no massive ash 'fallout' and those ppl in the safe communities are growing veggies like they have sun 24/7

and, with other 'apocalypse' stuff, we are told that 'vampires have taken over the world'. but as of the end of S2, we only see that they have infested the Northwest of America.

There are other things both good and bad. These are the main ones for me. I would recommend taking the time to watch it, as I said, it is a good show, FAR FAR better then TWD (ok that's a low standard but, you know what I mean).

Best watched on a 'binge'. available on NETFLIX seasons 1 and 2 and I believe S3 will be available on NF a week or two after S3 ends (this is done with other shows like SUPERNATURAL)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
in S4 now (currently on air) and the show gets better each season

it is a modern take on the traditional Bram Stoker Dracula as a basis for the show's lore, but with a little scientific frackery going on that makes some changes

each season there is a new twist at its ending that makes it have a sort of fresh start to keep the plot from going old.

a bit like TWD in its apocalyptic setting. BUT the major diff being in this apocalypse, many ppl are prepared to include the military and at least one major conglomerate corporation

Is anyone else watching or seen a few eps?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
in S4 now (currently on air) and the show gets better each season

it is a modern take on the traditional Bram Stoker Dracula as a basis for the show's lore, but with a little scientific frackery going on that makes some changes

each season there is a new twist at its ending that makes it have a sort of fresh start to keep the plot from going old.

a bit like TWD in its apocalyptic setting. BUT the major diff being in this apocalypse, many ppl are prepared to include the military and at least one major conglomerate corporation

Is anyone else watching or seen a few eps?

Wow, I still haven't seen a stitch of this show. I would love to catch up on some of this stuff. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Wow, I still haven't seen a stitch of this show. I would love to catch up on some of this stuff. :)

just keeping in mind going in, it is based on a comic/graphic novel, so it has some of that comic-book like pacing. like how, sometimes, stuff just happens without a reason given

it doesn't happen often, and, has not happened last 2 seasons

and if vampire stories are not your thing (no i dont mean twilight) then that may be an issue as well

it is a decent and entertaining show-great acting

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
its on amazon and i think a few seasons are on NF as well..not that matters to some """arrrgggghhhh"""

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
its on amazon and i think a few seasons are on NF as well..not that matters to some """arrrgggghhhh"""
Well, I actually do have Amazon Prime, but I have Netflix on pause for now. :)