V has been renewed!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
just waiting for the announcement! :wink:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Anticpation!!!!

just anticipating the good news....:bradcry:mainly cause I want to see bw crying...I love that smilie.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
just anticipating the good news....:bradcry:mainly cause I want to see bw crying...I love that smilie.

I was referring to the link you originally posted. To be honest though with V's odd 13 then 10 episode seasons I can see why you'd think it was still on its first season.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Where did you see that it had been renewed? I'm not seeing anything at either www.thr.com or www.tvbythenumbers.com about it. They're pretty much on point with that kind of information...

I jumped the gun hun with an old post! ;) just saw the date mar13 and didn't notice it said 2010! :p

next time yoshi--- screenshot! ;)

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I thought you were just messing with OM1's head, since he's a big fan of the show... :)

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I jumped the gun hun with an old post! ;) just saw the date mar13 and didn't notice it said 2010! :p

next time yoshi--- screenshot! ;)

Haha, nah that would have just been mean. As I said we all make mistakes.

Plus does anyone else feel like March 2010 was just yesterday? Time goes fast.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OF COURSE it was renewed.

edit: WHOOPS! I could not verify this news and then I read the message about May 2010. :( But still, I insist that ABC will renew V for a third season. Ill leave this post up and then edit it to remove this edit. :)

just waiting for the announcement! :wink:

No surprise AT ALL. Great...EXPECTED news. :)

I was referring to the link you originally posted. To be honest though with V's odd 13 then 10 episode seasons I can see why you'd think it was still on its first season.

Yoshi! :) May I refresh your memory on words I stated here earlier today?

http://www.gatefans.net/forums/show...-6-in-week-to-week-ratings.?p=42079#post42079

With ALL OF THAT you have posted, I still insist that ABC's V will be renewed on ABC and not sold to Syfy (which is its next home if they do sell it). You say it will be cancelled. So, lets just wait and see...the last episode airs Tuesday. :)
Ask me why I KNEW that was going to happen, and why I said so with such conviction sometime, mkay? A show like SGU or Caprica was showing a distinct downtrend from the FIRST EPISODE and never climbed AT ALL. But V did climb and did so steadily, which establishes a trend. Add that to the overwhelmingly positive fan response to the show and you have the Sanctuary Scenario. A winner makes itself known early. So do losers like the shows which have been cancelled.

YAY V!

:joy:

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
edit: WHOOPS! I could not verify this news and then I read the message about May 2010. :( But still, I insist that ABC will renew V for a third season. Ill leave this post up and then edit it to remove this edit. :)
Now that wouldn't be cool, would it? ;)

I think that comment was posted by Overmind's evil, goa'uld possessed twin: :eek:

attachment.jpg

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
You know what I find interesting? That the #1 movie in the U.S. right now is a Sci-fi movie that has to do with Alien takeover. I'm telling ya, Science Fiction is very much alive, but the Tech Savy folks use that damn DVR. Fringe is another show that has a nice size audience, but don't watch them live.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
You know what I find interesting? That the #1 movie in the U.S. right now is a Sci-fi movie that has to do with Alien takeover. I'm telling ya, Science Fiction is very much alive, but the Tech Savy folks use that damn DVR. Fringe is another show that has a nice size audience, but don't watch them live.

This isn't exactly true though. If we look at the largest percentage gains for adults 18-49:

1 FRINGE-02/18
2 90210-02/14
3 Gossip Girl-MON-02/14
4 Private Practice-02/17
5 Outsourced-02/17
6 Blue Bloods-02/18 CBS
7 Law And Order:SVU-02/16
8 30 Rock-02/17

it's clear that DVR isn't really the refuge of the science fiction fan. And looking at the real term gains:

1 Modern Family-02/16
2 GREY’S ANATOMY-02/17
3 HOUSE-02/14
4 Glee-02/15 FOX
5 Hawaii Five-0-02/14
6 Criminal Minds-02/16
7 American Idol-WEDNESDAY-02/16
8 American Idol-THURSDAY-02/17

it just puts sci-fi back in the niche category. I will agree with you about Fringe though as, despite being on a friday, it manages to gain more viewers from DVR than NCIS: LA. That in itself is a pretty impressive feat.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Look at the historical numbers for science fiction

This isn't exactly true though. If we look at the largest percentage gains for adults 18-49:

1 FRINGE-02/18
2 90210-02/14
3 Gossip Girl-MON-02/14
4 Private Practice-02/17
5 Outsourced-02/17
6 Blue Bloods-02/18 CBS
7 Law And Order:SVU-02/16
8 30 Rock-02/17

it's clear that DVR isn't really the refuge of the science fiction fan. And looking at the real term gains:

1 Modern Family-02/16
2 GREY’S ANATOMY-02/17
3 HOUSE-02/14
4 Glee-02/15 FOX
5 Hawaii Five-0-02/14
6 Criminal Minds-02/16
7 American Idol-WEDNESDAY-02/16
8 American Idol-THURSDAY-02/17

it just puts sci-fi back in the niche category. I will agree with you about Fringe though as, despite being on a friday, it manages to gain more viewers from DVR than NCIS: LA. That in itself is a pretty impressive feat.

The highest grossing films of all time listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

They show that science fiction and fantasy are the most successful genres. There are no dramas which are pure drama and no fantasy/science fiction in that list. Avatar now holds the title, and it is science fiction. Science fiction films have set records that no dramatic films have ever approached.

So its not the genre which is failing, its the writers who try to write science fiction when they are really dramatic writers (the easiest type of theater to write). Its sorta like the way Mexican food comes out when made in a Chinese restaurant.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
A lot of the renewal decision ultimately has to do with the network on which the show airs. Some networks don't look for that 2.0 and up, while others want even higher than that to consider a renewal.

I would look at ABC's history is on that tack to see what V's chances might be for renewal.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
The highest grossing films of all time listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

They show that science fiction and fantasy are the most successful genres. There are no dramas which are pure drama and no fantasy/science fiction in that list. Avatar now holds the title, and it is science fiction. Science fiction films have set records that no dramatic films have ever approached.

So its not the genre which is failing, its the writers who try to write science fiction when they are really dramatic writers (the easiest type of theater to write). Its sorta like the way Mexican food comes out when made in a Chinese restaurant.

We're looking at TV here though - Sci-fi typically struggles on TV while it does better in the cinema. I really don't see how this effects V in any way. And if you think something like Avatar isn't drama then you missed the fact that the film revolved around a love story. Similarly only about 5 of those movies are sci-fi - I think the correlation is more between "big budget" and revenue rather than genre. The fact that Titanic, a very clear drama, is on the list would also imply that.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I didnt say it didnt have drama. But its science fiction.

We're looking at TV here though - Sci-fi typically struggles on TV while it does better in the cinema. I really don't see how this effects V in any way. And if you think something like Avatar isn't drama then you missed the fact that the film revolved around a love story. Similarly only about 5 of those movies are sci-fi - I think the correlation is more between "big budget" and revenue rather than genre. The fact that Titanic, a very clear drama, is on the list would also imply that.

ALL theater is drama at its core, and I acknowledge that. But the distinguishing factor in science fiction is its "science as the main orienting element". Avatar was a love story but without its scientific elements it would not have been successful. Without the CGI and alien imagery of the Navi, its just a generic boy meets girl scenario.

V is true science fiction. It uses science as its main orienting element, but also has great drama and love stories as well as action. Its a baby Golden Gosling who cant lay golden eggs yet, but when it grows older it will. :)

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
ALL theater is drama at its core, and I acknowledge that. But the distinguishing factor in science fiction is its "science as the main orienting element". Avatar was a love story but without its scientific elements it would not have been successful. Without the CGI and alien imagery of the Navi, its just a generic boy meets girl scenario.

V is true science fiction. It uses science as its main orienting element, but also has great drama and love stories as well as action. Its a baby Golden Gosling who cant lay golden eggs yet, but when it grows older it will. :)

Titanic was a boy meets girl story that didn't have sci-fi in it. Did pretty well if you ask me. What Avatar had going for it was brand new 3D, not it's sci-fi nature. Plus if Avatar is a regular story told with scientific elements then it's pretty similar to Caprica. It's taking those stories and placing them in an alien landscape.

But if you think V is going to be renewed to help shape an image for ABC/Disney then I completely disagree. Even more so if you think it links in any way to the movie side of its operation which has nothing to do with TV.
The two biggest sci-fi shows on TV right now are underperforming - what's working in the movies isn't working on the networks. Quite why ABC would try and shape part of their image around an underperforming show is baffling.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why do you hate V so much?

Titanic was a boy meets girl story that didn't have sci-fi in it. Did pretty well if you ask me. What Avatar had going for it was brand new 3D, not it's sci-fi nature. Plus if Avatar is a regular story told with scientific elements then it's pretty similar to Caprica. It's taking those stories and placing them in an alien landscape.

But if you think V is going to be renewed to help shape an image for ABC/Disney then I completely disagree. Even more so if you think it links in any way to the movie side of its operation which has nothing to do with TV.
The two biggest sci-fi shows on TV right now are underperforming - what's working in the movies isn't working on the networks. Quite why ABC would try and shape part of their image around an underperforming show is baffling.

My daddy used to say to me: "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still". I see what he meant.

What I get from you is that you HATE the show. I can deal with that, since this is GateFans and things are civil here. :) But why do you hate it so much? I can see now how you must view my posts about SGU, since you like it you cant understand why it makes me want to take a....:)

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
My daddy used to say to me: "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still". I see what he meant.

What I get from you is that you HATE the show. I can deal with that, since this is GateFans and things are civil here. :) But why do you hate it so much? I can see now how you must view my posts about SGU, since you like it you cant understand why it makes me want to take a....:)

I don't hate the show, in fact I watched the first season due to it being on the same day as Lost. I don't think its that great but its not awful.

My issue is that I believe in all the points I'm making and don't really understand where your arguments are coming from. It comes across to me that you believe the show will be renewed because it's the type of show you think should be successful. I'm looking at the data and information and seeing a show in a very dire situation.

If the situation has raised parallels with SGU then perhaps I am also seeing the other side of the coin. Maybe that means this forum is working as hoped, getting everyone to understand each others points of viewers better, or at least their positions.

At the end of the day though, if V is renewed I'll catch up with the rest of Season 2. The one thing putting me off is the threat of a cliffhanger ending which is enough of a pain with SGU and possibly Fringe. The ending to a story is important to me.