U.S Version of Skins not going down too well.

Tropicana

Council Member
The sandwich chain Subway has become the latest company to distance itself from the US version of Skins, pulling its advertising from the show after a pressure campaign by a parenting group.

The US Skins, based on the British show, premiered on 17 January, but the fictional hedonistic exploits of its teenage cast have not gone down well with US advertisers. Five companies have now pulled their advertising from the programme.

A representative for Subway told The Hollywood Reporter the company would not be running its ads on the second episode of the show because "it is not fit for our brand".

The sandwich giant had been targeted by the Parent Television Council, which urged its 1.3m members to contact Subway via email and letters to the chain's thousands of outlets around the United States.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jan/25/subway-pulls-advertising-from-skins

This is the same PTC group that was mentioned on some article that a squeedrone posted back in Nov/Dec at GW, which suggests fans of cancelled shows to write to PTC. If the U.S version of Skins are facing the full wrath of the PTC; you can bet your bottom dollar that the PTC will be doing all it can to make sure SGU stays dead.

Why did they even bother with this?

Clearly, we are way more more prudish in the US than in the UK. So I cannot see how any person involved in creating this remake, after watching the first season of the original version would have thought that this would be a viable and profitable show.

Unless there is another version of Skins that I'm not aware about, the people who went through with this are idiots. I think they even changed the sex of one of the gay characters because they wanted lesbians to draw in viewers. Serves 'em right. Some things are just lost in translation and should be left alone.

BBCA showed the eps with no fanfare, but that's probably because not everyone gets the channel. I remember when I first saw it. I scratched my head a couple of times in disbelief that stuff like this could air on national tv. Then I moved the UK to the top of my 'places I would move to' list.

I believe the ratings are already slipping despite all the publicity.

RedRing

GateFans Noob
BBCA showed the eps with no fanfare, but that's probably because not everyone gets the channel. I remember when I first saw it. I scratched my head a couple of times in disbelief that stuff like this could air on national tv. Then I moved the UK to the top of my 'places I would move to' list.

It is sooooo not worth it for that.

It is sooooo not worth it for that.

No, I meant the enlightened way of thinking. Show a hint of a thigh or sideboob here in the US and the PTC is calling for the end of days!!!! Yet you can shoot and blow up whatever you want, because guns and violence are the second coming of Christ over here, and don't even rate a second look.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

I think that classically, US remakes of UK comedies can go either way in quality. The US version of Red Dwarf just wasn't the same, now Skins the US version has flopped aswell but I have been told that the US version of The Office actually surpassed the original UK counterpart (not difficult being as The Office was crap & Ricky Gervais is as funny as a fart in a space suit but I digress), there was a US version of Spaced & even one of Life on Mars which I here was good but not as good as the original.

As I understand it, there is to be a US version of The Inbetweeners - the funniest & most popular British comedy in recent times so I hope the US equivalent works out ok because it has one hell of an example to follow.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OH----MY----GOD

If its this show, I am SOOOOOO not surprised its having such a negative reaction. Why would any channel air this crap? :facepalm:

[video]http://www.e4.com/video/x5MeAzj6l4qNPYQeiQdzs/play.e4

In case player does not work

http://www.e4.com/video/x5MeAzj6l4qNPYQeiQdzs/play.e4

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Cos they want to be "hip", plus it reflects some really awful Inner City areas' attitudes.

They're also hoping all the outcry over how "scandalous" this show is will get it better ratings, that much is obvious. Titillation, outcry, people wonder what it's all about and tune in, ratings, etc. Happens all the time here but is hardly successful in the long run.

I'm truly starting to despise the American reworking of BBC shows. The North American version of "Being Human" is doing well in numbers here (it just started a week ago, 2 eps so far) but pales in comparison to the British version. It just feels flat in comparison to the BBC one. We really need to stop ******* with what works and just leave things be.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

If its this show, I am SOOOOOO not surprised its having such a negative reaction. Why would any channel air this crap? :facepalm:

[video]http://www.e4.com/video/x5MeAzj6l4qNPYQeiQdzs/play.e4

In case player does not work

http://www.e4.com/video/x5MeAzj6l4qNPYQeiQdzs/play.e4

I used to hate Skins because it was smutty & a load of trendy, pretty rich kids trying to be all street & bad ass, plus they seemed to be 100% successful at getting laid & was nothing like real life so I could never relate to the characters - all style, no substance.

Inbetweeners all the way for me - 4 teenaged boys trying to lose their V, failing miserably with hilarious consequence & becoming more & more unpopular with each episode. Priceless.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
I used to hate Skins because it was smutty & a load of trendy, pretty rich kids trying to be all street & bad ass, plus they seemed to be 100% successful at getting laid & was nothing like real life so I could never relate to the characters - all style, no substance.

Inbetweeners all the way for me - 4 teenaged boys trying to lose their V, failing miserably with hilarious consequence & becoming more & more unpopular with each episode. Priceless.

the inbetweeners is hilarious! by the way have you seen they are doing a road trip for charity? going to all the most rudely named places in the UK.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

the inbetweeners is hilarious! by the way have you seen they are doing a road trip for charity? going to all the most rudely named places in the UK.

I guess they will be seen in Cockermouth then. :D

PegDIG2004

GateFans Noob
I'm not surprised anymore by the horrible shows that make it onto the air. Look at SGU. How did that make it on the air?

On a side note, why does the US always have to remake British tv shows? Most of them were perfectly good in their original form.

Tropicana

Council Member
Well... it helps to be young and beautiful.

plus they seemed to be 100% successful at getting laid

There there. :P

If you were gay (like me), that will never be an issue. Your only problem at that dept will be, getting some questionable men off from you; so... how about joining the dark side? ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Careful Robbie!

If you were gay (like me), that will never be an issue. Your only problem at that dept will be, getting some questionable men off from you; so... how about joining the dark side? ;)

Trap.jpg

P

phronsie

I'm not surprised anymore by the horrible shows that make it onto the air. Look at SGU. How did that make it on the air?

On a side note, why does the US always have to remake British tv shows? Most of them were perfectly good in their original form.

The original Life on Mars was wonderful and I really enjoyed the US version. Harvey Keitel? Wonderful! And Jason O'Mara did a great Sam (and was a very purty fella, to!).

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The original Life on Mars was wonderful and I really enjoyed the US version. Harvey Keitel? Wonderful! And Jason O'Mara did a great Sam (and was a very purty fella, to!).

I love the UK version of all these shows. The original "Life on Mars" was damn good.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

I have had gay friends who have tried to convert me before but the answer is always the same............ "but if I did that, who would pester all of those lovely ladies?!"

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
I have had gay friends who have tried to convert me before but the answer is always the same............ "but if I did that, who would pester all of those lovely ladies?!"

You could be an equal opportunity slut and please everybody :)

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

You could be an equal opportunity slut and please everybody :)

Equal Opportunities? You are right - everybody should have the opportunity/right to be pestered by the pestmeister!