Transformers Dark of the Moon - a.k.a Cinematic Excrement

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This was the third "superhero" film I got to see with the EPIX Marvel weekend trial. If only they also offered memory wiping....

This is the third of the Transformers movies and although it tried to not be as bad as the last one, to me it it was par for the bad course. Once again the plot was total nonsense and once again the action scenes were so totally overblown that they lose all emotional impact. They are pretty impressive technical CGI but are so long and have so much happening that they lose all focus - and at that point I get emotionally disconnected and taken out of the movie. This actually reminds me of what I still think is one of the more effective uses of CGI I have seen - the alien ROV in The Abyss as it explores the interior of the undersea drilling rig. The scene was not overly long and it fit beautifully into the the story and as such it had an impact. The overblown Transformers stuff doesn't in my opinion.

Also, most of the acting was average at best. Shia LeBoeuf is still crud as an actor and - OMG - they actually found a worse actress than Megan Fox to replace her! This must have taken dedicated and deliberate effort as Megan Fox has shown herself in several films to be an incredibly bad actress. Really no one in the cast seemed to put any real acting energy into their roles.

It's the commercial success of "movies" like this that can make one question the intelligence of the moviegoing public - unless the audience was virtually all 6-7 year old children. Because that is what this film felt like it was written by. No wait - 6-7 year old children are too smart...I apologize for insulting children by saying they would write this. Maybe it was Ruprecht from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels???

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I will never watch another Transformers movie after the humping robots and Skids and Mudflap.

This was the third "superhero" film I got to see with the EPIX Marvel weekend trial. If only they also offered memory wiping....

This is the third of the Transformers movies and although it tried to not be as bad as the last one, to me it it was par for the bad course. Once again the plot was total nonsense and once again the action scenes were so totally overblown that they lose all emotional impact. They are pretty impressive technical CGI but are so long and have so much happening that they lose all focus - and at that point I get emotionally disconnected and taken out of the movie. This actually reminds me of what I still think is one of the more effective uses of CGI I have seen - the alien ROV in The Abyss as it explores the interior of the undersea drilling rig. The scene was not overly long and it fit beautifully into the the story and as such it had an impact. The overblown Transformers stuff doesn't in my opinion.

Also, most of the acting was average at best. Shia LeBoeuf is still crud as an actor and - OMG - they actually found a worse actress than Megan Fox to replace her! This must have taken dedicated and deliberate effort as Megan Fox has shown herself in several films to be an incredibly bad actress. Really no one in the cast seemed to put any real acting energy into their roles.

It's the commercial success of "movies" like this that can make one question the intelligence of the moviegoing public - unless the audience was virtually all 6-7 year old children. Because that is what this film felt like it was written by. No wait - 6-7 year old children are too smart...I apologize for insulting children by saying they would write this. Maybe it was Ruprecht from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels???

After the humping robot and Skids and Mudflap, I wrote off all the Transformers movies from hence forward. UNFORGIVABLE. I was impressed with the CGI at first, and still am, but not enough to warrant paying actual money to see it. Not even as a FREE download. Transformers joins Hunger Games as being in the category of "I wont watch it even if it is free". I managed to watch about half of Hunger Games in short bursts and long breaks between them. I do not think anything can ever change that for me.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I would say this film is a testimony to the adage that "excessive CGI is not necessarily effective CGI".

Sort of like "excessive action is not necessarily effective action". Remember I proposed a rematch of a film called "Mean Guns" to this effect.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Pretty much agree with you Joelist, I might be overgeneralizing but thought it was pointless in its entirety.