Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
My daughter and I went to see this at the midnight movie at the Arclight Hollywood on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

As a cool gift, a special limited edition poster (only 3000 were made) was given out to all those who attended last night's showings at the Arclight Hollywood (this was as per the studio's wishes):

TF3GreenFinal_TOH.jpg

So now the daughter and I each have one, and will be having them framed to keep them safe.

We both enjoyed the movie a lot. The new love interest was a better actress than Ms Fox, considering that this new girl hadn't acted before. There were also a lot of fun in-jokes that, if you are a fan of sci-fi/fantasy and horror, you should get.

Nimoy voicing Sentinel Prime was fun to listen to, as well as some other familiar names as both Autobots and Decepticons.

And you have to love anything with Alan Tudyk in it. The man was hilarious as "Dutch", (Simmon's German version of Alfred the Butler, if he was a bit more like Hellsing's Walter, albeit retired).

And yes...Shia still screams like a girl -- and it still makes me laugh to the point where I have tears running down my cheeks.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I went to catch the movie at noon today. I found it slow during the first hour or so then the story started to pick up.

Note to OM1: The stereotypes were replaced by two little stereotypes. One sounded like a mobster from the Simpsons and the other was mouthing Ebonics.

Michael Bay's assertion that this would be a more serious movie was far from target, IMO. Still tons of comedy and shenanigans. About the only thing more adult in this movie is seeing Decepticons actually killing humans and leaving burned skulls and bones where they stood. Otherwise, same old same old.

I had fun watching it but expected much, much more from all the hype.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
For those interested the movie has made a whopping 486 million dollars in just 7 days! I am gonna see it from a week from now.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $204,421,287 42.0% + Foreign: $282,218,706 58.0% = Worldwide: $486,639,993

Domestic Summary
Opening Weekend: $97,852,865 (#1 rank, 4,088 theaters, $23,937 average) % of Total Gross: 47.9% [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Sans-Serif]> View All Weekends[/FONT] Widest Release: 4,088 theaters In Release: 8 days / 1.1 weeks

The Players
Director:Michael Bay

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=transformers3.htm

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
For those interested the movie has made a whopping 486 million dollars in just 7 days! I am gonna see it from a week from now.
And people wonder why shows or movies like this survive. Just LOL

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I went to catch the movie at noon today. I found it slow during the first hour or so then the story started to pick up.

Note to OM1: The stereotypes were replaced by two little stereotypes. One sounded like a mobster from the Simpsons and the other was mouthing Ebonics.

Michael Bay's assertion that this would be a more serious movie was far from target, IMO. Still tons of comedy and shenanigans. About the only thing more adult in this movie is seeing Decepticons actually killing humans and leaving burned skulls and bones where they stood. Otherwise, same old same old.

I had fun watching it but expected much, much more from all the hype.

I knew he couldnt resist... I wont be seeing this one. Im certain it will be a huge blockbuster, but I wont be contributing to the bottom line, thats for sure.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And people wonder why shows or movies like this survive. Just LOL

Its not unexpected, since the Transformers is extremely popular worldwide. It almost has a Star Wars type following now. But was Star Wars the bestest, most wonderfulest thing since soda pop? Nope...but it made tons of money and was watched by millions. I saw all 6 movies myself, even with JarJar in it. He wasnt as bad as the stereotypes in Transformers, but close. In Transformers, its also the cliche human characters and the vapid, shallow story.

But it WILL continue make millions upon millions of dollars. :icon_e_wink: Sorta like the highest rated show on Syfy is...Wrestling

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Hmmm, so should I go watch it or can I just wait for the dvd? Does the 3d stuff enhance the film in anyway other than added profits?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I knew he couldnt resist... I wont be seeing this one. Im certain it will be a huge blockbuster, but I wont be contributing to the bottom line, thats for sure.

I went to see the IMAX 3D version. Cool effects but lots of slow-mo. :( At least they didn't pointlessly throw things towards the audience but they made up for it with lots of slow-motion fight scenes. :(

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Up to Worldwide: $525,979,874
Mother of god! This movie has already paid for itself since the budget(excluding advertising) was only 200 million. Could it beat avatar?

Just for comparison

Wait for it...see how much avatar made :redface:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $760,507,625 27.3% + Foreign: $2,021,767,547 72.7% = Worldwide: $2,782,275,172
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm

Kinda annoying how the MPAA complains of "Poor" ticket sales when this is making a bucket load of cash.

S

Stonelesscutter

Up to Worldwide: $525,979,874
Mother of god! This movie has already paid for itself since the budget(excluding advertising) was only 200 million. Could it beat avatar?

Just for comparison

Wait for it...see how much avatar made :redface:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $760,507,625 27.3% + Foreign: $2,021,767,547 72.7% = Worldwide: $2,782,275,172
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm

Kinda annoying how the MPAA complains of "Poor" ticket sales when this is making a bucket load of cash.

I don't think it's gonna beat Avatar dude.
Those figures you posted are kinda interesting though in that foreign income appears to be a more important factor than domestic.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I don't think it's gonna beat Avatar dude.
Those figures you posted are kinda interesting though in that foreign income appears to be a more important factor than domestic.

There are alot more people not living in the US than people who are dude :P
Plus, "Big" movies are generally slated for "worldwide release" these days in order to dodge as much piracy as possible.

S

Stonelesscutter

There are alot more people not living in the US than people who are dude :P
Plus, "Big" movies are generally slated for "worldwide release" these days in order to dodge as much piracy as possible.

I am aware of that but I have noticed in the past that the foreign market often isn't taken into account. For instance, when deciding upon the fate of tv shows. These statistics for Avatar prove that there IS a big market out there besides domestic sales. But ofcourse Avatar is not quite the average production.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I am aware of that but I have noticed in the past that the foreign market often isn't taken into account. For instance, when deciding upon the fate of tv shows. These statistics for Avatar prove that there IS a big market out there besides domestic sales. But ofcourse Avatar is not quite the average production.

I knew you were going to go here :P
If a production company were to pay all the costs involved in making a show, then yes international sales would count for more. However, most shows are "network supported", therefore the only time a network gets money is from the sale of air time for ads during the show. No viewers, no sales for adspace, network pulls the pin. If the studio can shop the show around to fill the void left by the network (assuming they are allowed to due to contracts) then they can, or they can absorb the cost themselves.

S

Stonelesscutter

I knew you were going to go here :P
If a production company were to pay all the costs involved in making a show, then yes international sales would count for more. However, most shows are "network supported", therefore the only time a network gets money is from the sale of air time for ads during the show. No viewers, no sales for adspace, network pulls the pin. If the studio can shop the show around to fill the void left by the network (assuming they are allowed to due to contracts) then they can, or they can absorb the cost themselves.

Yes I get that.
So basically when you look at it like that the advertisements are too blame for shows being discontinued. :D
If the shows were made to make money on sales instead of advertisements the market might look very different.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yes I get that.
So basically when you look at it like that the advertisements are too blame for shows being discontinued. :D
If the shows were made to make money on sales instead of advertisements the market might look very different.

Well, theoreticly that IS the way it works dude.
The problem is the risk involved for the studio if a show tanks they are the only ones out of pocket, so they share the cost with the networks. Of course that now means that it has to perform for the network as well and if it doesn't, dead show.

S

Stonelesscutter

Well, theoreticly that IS the way it works dude.
The problem is the risk involved for the studio if a show tanks they are the only ones out of pocket, so they share the cost with the networks. Of course that now means that it has to perform for the network as well and if it doesn't, dead show.

Sigh... If only we lived in a perfect world where there was no money, like in Star Trek.
(please don't start a discussion that there is money in Star Trek :D)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Saw it, was ok, 13 yr old level of story writing, seemed like mostly glitz and glamour to me. Hope they don't make another one, but they probably will considering the profits, great.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
We can hope upon hope that this is the last.