Torchwood

• Thread starter Robbie_Rocket_Pants
  • Start date
R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

I was & still am, a Doctor Who fan of old. When I was a child I had the honour to have Colin Baker & Sylvester McCoy as current Doctors (the latter being more prominent in my memory). During my childhood it was Dr Who (followed by Star Trek) which first led me on my path to "muchos sci-fi & no sexy time" & I regret none of it.

For many years I wished that other people could see in sci-fi what I saw but it never came to fruition ............. until the day came when the TV & movie industry became so saturated with utter tonk & also became so decadent & over-funded that, one day, my dream was realised............ Doctor Who became fucking coooooool.

At this point, "The Who" would never be neglected or considered "uncool" again as it was hi-jacked by the emo crowd, who, were it not for this little revelation, could well have been the sci-fi crowd .......... well, rather .......... the sci-fi loners & individuals (not a crowd as such) of the future.

Although it's very nature & essence are everything I hate in sci-fi, Torchwood went against the grain & did drama, adventure, sci-fi & horror (in a very BBC-friendly way) without pulling any punches & without insulting the original Dr Who fanbase ......... there wasn't, & still isn't, a website called torchwoodsucks.com & the reason for this............. is because it doesn't!

Torchwood was, in my opinion, an awesome show & a very deserving spin-off of Doctor Who. I for one thought that it was cut down in it's prime.

Luckily for those who thought the same as I, it is to be resurrected in a new form & both John Barrowman & Eve Myles will be reprising their former roles.

The main differences with this new show will be that it will be funded by American money & it will have the addition of new characters (also American as it happens but it's all good).

Is there anybody else here who is a Dr Who fan of old who also appreciates Torchwood?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I tried, I really tried.

But ultimately Torchwood failed for strangely some of the same reasons SGU is tanking.

Unlikeable characters and WAY too much sexual content. S2 was a bit better because they actually did listen and forced Russel T Davies to tone the sex content down and de-soap the characters a bit.

Actually the most recent Who season was really good, in part because the new showrunner toned down the emo nonsense that got overwhelming near the end of Tennant's run as the Doctor.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I tried, I really tried.

But ultimately Torchwood failed for strangely some of the same reasons SGU is tanking.

Unlikeable characters and WAY too much sexual content. S2 was a bit better because they actually did listen and forced Russel T Davies to tone the sex content down and de-soap the characters a bit.

Actually the most recent Who season was really good, in part because the new showrunner toned down the emo nonsense that got overwhelming near the end of Tennant's run as the Doctor.

I like the show as it was connected to Dr Who and also because it was not SG-POO and that in my books makes it a great show .